MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Free garbage bags for res students. andrew22 General Discussion 10 09-20-2010 08:37 PM
garbage bags? kirsten..! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-01-2010 11:43 AM
Plastic vs. Metal: March 26th 2010 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-12-2010 01:33 AM
Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic sniderj Computers & Tech 28 03-07-2010 10:16 PM

McMaster to Ban Plastic Bags on Campus

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:21 PM   #15
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Saving the environment IS cool dude...you have some learning to do in the coolness department
It might be cool for you and other "environmentalists" and I wouldn't consider you as being a part of the "cool" social group. No offense intended, I just mean most regular guys do no carry those bags around. Guys want to go buy something take it and go. They really don't want to carry a bag around to buy stuff. They just want their stuff.

(btw someone is going to take offense lol)

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:26 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
It might be cool for you and other "environmentalists" and I wouldn't consider you as being a part of the "cool" social group. No offense intended, I just mean most regular guys do no carry those bags around. Guys want to go buy something take it and go. They really don't want to carry a bag around to buy stuff. They just want their stuff.

(btw someone is going to take offense lol)
Actually, most of these reusable bags fold up really nicely into a small space (or you can do as I do, and ball three of them up into a crumpled black mass). Carrying them to the grocery store isn't a big deal, and carrying them back to wherever full of groceries is obvious: YOU'RE CARRYING GROCERIES.

Grow up people... it's not like you're carrying a purse everywhere you go. You bring the bags when you need to buy groceries. If you're walking past the grocery store and need to pick something up then you shouldn't need a bag anyways, and if you do, then you can still get one for a few cents.

This isn't about being "cool" at all. This is about common sense.

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:31 PM   #17
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Actually, most of these reusable bags fold up really nicely into a small space (or you can do as I do, and ball three of them up into a crumpled black mass). Carrying them to the grocery store isn't a big deal, and carrying them back to wherever full of groceries is obvious: YOU'RE CARRYING GROCERIES.

Grow up people... it's not like you're carrying a purse everywhere you go. You bring the bags when you need to buy groceries. If you're walking past the grocery store and need to pick something up then you shouldn't need a bag anyways, and if you do, then you can still get one for a few cents.

This isn't about being "cool" at all. This is about common sense.
You're right, but its that weird fundamental thing that humans have. You know...the thing where they don't like change (unless it was George Double Ya haha). It is easy to fold up the bag I guess but the problem is you might not always have the bag with you. Sometimes people just get the instinct to buy stuff in the middle of a trip and they might not have it with them. And the bag won't fold up that small, its not gonna fit in your pocket so you can't just carry it anywhere.

Lets help the planet though. Dam those green house gases :p (and non degradable shite hehe)

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:37 PM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Yinstinct to buy stuff in the middle of a trip and they might not have it with them.
I talked about this in my previous post... most of the time if you need to stop in to buy something, then you shouldn't need a bag (you're picking up a single item or two). If you do end up needing to buy a bunch of stuff, then bags are available at a cost.

I agree that it can be less convenient for students (since most working adults with vehicles keep the bags right in their trunk), but it's just something people will have to get used to. I'd rather use a reusable bag instead of paying extra for plastic bags... it's a waste of money.

Old 09-12-2009 at 12:56 PM   #19
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I talked about this in my previous post... most of the time if you need to stop in to buy something, then you shouldn't need a bag (you're picking up a single item or two). If you do end up needing to buy a bunch of stuff, then bags are available at a cost.

I agree that it can be less convenient for students (since most working adults with vehicles keep the bags right in their trunk), but it's just something people will have to get used to. I'd rather use a reusable bag instead of paying extra for plastic bags... it's a waste of money.
Well no even if you buy just 3 items you will probably need a bag even 2 items and that's easily the case (unless you have a car and you're just gonna throw it in). Also I don't think most people will care paying 5 cents or 10 cents for a plastic bag...probably because spending thousands on uni and hundreds on parking or a laptop or books...a few cents is really not a problem. So I don't think that's gonna stop people from getting plastic bags.

Also if the stores do something too harsh like stop using plastic bags and making people pay for the other bags I'm willing to bet a lot of their customers would just go somewhere else (unless there was legislation for all stores to stop using plastic bags, then it would just be a way of life and that's not too bad, its good for the environment).

Old 09-12-2009 at 01:08 PM   #20
EngLufLuf

Liked: Liked 2 Times
I want to ask a stupid question and the question is: why is plastic bags harmful to the environment?

I know ... stupid question!

Old 09-12-2009 at 01:13 PM   #21
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
they're non-bio degradable, so they're thrown and they just stay there doing nothing till the end of the world

Old 09-12-2009 at 01:13 PM   #22
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngLufLuf View Post
I want to ask a stupid question and the question is: why is plastic bags harmful to the environment?

I know ... stupid question!
Plastic bags are not biodegradable. They stay in in the environment for tens or hundreds of millions of years, just adding up, millions at a time.

They don't go away, and we literally use billions of them per year... so it adds up! They clog up water ways, they damage ecosystems, animals are harmed by them (by either ingesting them or being trapped in them). It's really bad.

Old 09-12-2009 at 02:01 PM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Saving the environment IS cool dude...you have some learning to do in the coolness department
Not to make an example of you or anything, but this attitude is the problem with environmentalism: It's a fad.

This fad-like behaviour is not only destructive (as with any fad), but it also turns people OFF of environmentalism. (ie. those who despise doing anything 'mainsteam').

Environmentalism is not cool...it's something people should try to do. People are just idiots and don't do things unless they're cool**...and such people are doing it for the wrong reasons. Not to mention, the material gains to be had by abusing said fad.

Case in point: FIDO advertises environmentally friendly cell phones???? Ask yourself...is it cooler to actually be environmentally friendly (and not own a cell phone at all) or to have that blackberry on hand 24/7?

Take your pick.

**Disclaimer: I'm not taking shot at any specific person here, and instead am insulting human nature.

Last edited by Mowicz : 09-12-2009 at 02:04 PM.

adrian, Afzal, Taunton all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

BlakeM likes this.

Old 09-12-2009 at 05:17 PM   #24
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
IN CASE SOMEONE READING THIS THREAD DIDN'T KNOW: You can recycle plastic bags. So DONT THROW THEM IN THE GARBAGE.

Old 09-12-2009 at 10:48 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
I don't think plastic bags really are recyclable since they're so thin. I remember hearing that the only types of bottles that are truly recyclable are the ones that have a stiff feel (i.e. coke, gatorade), which cuts out most spring water bottles (and I'm guessing plastic bags). No idea why though.

Old 09-12-2009 at 10:54 PM   #26
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't think plastic bags really are recyclable since they're so thin. I remember hearing that the only types of bottles that are truly recyclable are the ones that have a stiff feel (i.e. coke, gatorade), which cuts out most spring water bottles (and I'm guessing plastic bags). No idea why though.
They are though, read the what to recycle guide here:
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...steManagement/

Ownaginatios says thanks to adrian for this post.

Old 09-12-2009 at 11:07 PM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
They are though, read the what to recycle guide here:
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...steManagement/
Awesome, I'mma huck all those plastic bags I have out this week.

Old 09-12-2009 at 11:55 PM   #28
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I'd imagine they compress the bags into a denser form.

I remember seeing a ruler that was allegedly made from 10,000 compressed styrofoam cups...most solid ruler I'd ever seen, I couldn't bend the thing.

Old 09-12-2009 at 11:58 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'd imagine they compress the bags into a denser form.

I remember seeing a ruler that was allegedly made from 10,000 compressed styrofoam cups...most solid ruler I'd ever seen, I couldn't bend the thing.
lol, I wonder how much stored energy that has. I could imagine something like that exploding when getting slightly wet :p.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search