MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Free garbage bags for res students. andrew22 General Discussion 10 09-20-2010 08:37 PM
garbage bags? kirsten..! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-01-2010 11:43 AM
Plastic vs. Metal: March 26th 2010 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-12-2010 01:33 AM
Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic sniderj Computers & Tech 28 03-07-2010 10:16 PM

McMaster to Ban Plastic Bags on Campus

Old 09-13-2009 at 07:36 AM   #30
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
Also I don't think most people will care paying 5 cents or 10 cents for a plastic bag...probably because spending thousands on uni and hundreds on parking or a laptop or books...a few cents is really not a problem. So I don't think that's gonna stop people from getting plastic bags.
Maybe its just me but this actually makes me COUNT every single penny. I dont feel I have the finances to do elsewise!
5 cents DOES make people rethink their options. I know of people that used to get a bag for one item when they were useing their car that will now carry a full armload if they have to to avoid it.

Old 09-13-2009 at 11:10 AM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
Maybe its just me but this actually makes me COUNT every single penny. I dont feel I have the finances to do elsewise!
5 cents DOES make people rethink their options. I know of people that used to get a bag for one item when they were useing their car that will now carry a full armload if they have to to avoid it.
Or bring their own reusable bag or bin to shop.

Old 09-13-2009 at 11:30 AM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
I don't really understand why this had to become a mandate province-wide.

My mom started using cloth bags around twenty years ago, using them for all grocery products except for meat.

A tip: make sure your bags are clean. They get dirty like everything else and can be washed from time to time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-13-2009 at 11:52 AM   #33
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I don't really understand why this had to become a mandate province-wide.
Exactly...

If it's something that should just be done out of the goodness of your heart so to speak, why is it being abused left and right? Because it's a hot-topic issue that people (including government officials) can bend to their will (ie. a 'fad').

Why take action against plastic bags now? It's not like we didn't know they didn't decompose like, 40 years ago.

--------------

Off-topic slightly:

The irony of it is, I used to be more environmentally friendly before it was the 'hot topic.' That not only forces me to be like "Ew, I don't want to associate with the (many) people who don't actually know or care about the issue" but also let me see how the world works a little bit.

I tend to be realistic, I understand that my contributions to the future (be it environmentally or otherwise) will more than likely be minimal at best...but I take a firm stance against being wasteful (in general) nonetheless. But in my opinion, there should be a mandate regarding wasting food before there's a mandate regarding plastic bags... People waste SO much food..."Oh, I don't like mushrooms so I'll take them off my pizza" or "I don't eat my pizza crust" or even worse, people order large-size meals and only eat half. What gives???

Old 09-13-2009 at 12:20 PM   #34
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
..."Oh, I don't like mushrooms so I'll take them off my pizza"
Heh, I used to be like that. After a while I realized that it's easier and less rude to just eat the stuff you don't like.

Quote:
... or "I don't eat my pizza crust"...
I feel like knocking people out when I see this. Even more so when it's at a party or something and the amount of pizza available to everyone is limited. What the hell's wrong with the crust? Some might even argue that it's the best part :p. Same with the crust on sandwiches. Without it, the sandwich has no structural stability.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 09-13-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-13-2009 at 01:02 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I feel like knocking people out when I see this. Even more so when it's at a party or something and the amount of pizza available to everyone is limited. What the hell's wrong with the crust? Some might even argue that it's the best part :p. Same with the crust on sandwiches. Without it, the sandwich has no structural stability.
The quality of the crust depends on the pizza. In my opinion, I don't like pizza pizza crust, but pizza hut crust is awesome ^-^

But yeah, they are still edible either way.

Old 09-13-2009 at 08:39 PM   #36
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times
Why people buy water bottles, is a mystery to me.

Worse, buy water bottles or soft drinks, drink a sip and throw the rest? WHY.

Old 09-13-2009 at 08:55 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Exactly...

If it's something that should just be done out of the goodness of your heart so to speak, why is it being abused left and right? Because it's a hot-topic issue that people (including government officials) can bend to their will (ie. a 'fad').

Why take action against plastic bags now? It's not like we didn't know they didn't decompose like, 40 years ago.

--------------

Off-topic slightly:

The irony of it is, I used to be more environmentally friendly before it was the 'hot topic.' That not only forces me to be like "Ew, I don't want to associate with the (many) people who don't actually know or care about the issue" but also let me see how the world works a little bit.

I tend to be realistic, I understand that my contributions to the future (be it environmentally or otherwise) will more than likely be minimal at best...but I take a firm stance against being wasteful (in general) nonetheless. But in my opinion, there should be a mandate regarding wasting food before there's a mandate regarding plastic bags... People waste SO much food..."Oh, I don't like mushrooms so I'll take them off my pizza" or "I don't eat my pizza crust" or even worse, people order large-size meals and only eat half. What gives???
Same. My parents always mention (when they're reminiscing) about how I used to ask them why we didn't recycle (among other things) when I was like, 2-3 years old. Now people only do it because it's the "cool" ****ing thing to do. "Go green." What the hell does that even mean. What a bullshit phrase. Another slogan thought up by marketing geniuses and everyone's buying into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Also along these lines:

There is also a movement in partnership between the University admin and the MSU to ban the sale of bottled water on campus.

The hope is to see this happen this year in a phased process before April.
I like how they're banning the sale of bottled water not because humans shouldn't have to pay for a basic need, but because of the container that they use to sell said need.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-13-2009 at 08:57 PM   #38
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaam View Post
Why people buy water bottles, is a mystery to me.

Worse, buy water bottles or soft drinks, drink a sip and throw the rest? WHY.
The water bottle - Thirst, and not wanting to drink teeth-rotting Coke(soft drinks). When a water fountain not available, sometimes it's necessary. Or when the water fountain is broken or tastes all funny or water is boiling -- hey, it happens.

The 1 sip thing i dunno, there's always idiots.

-- Also, water bottle bottles can be recycled, not the best option, but the least you can do.

Old 09-13-2009 at 09:18 PM   #39
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Same. My parents always mention (when they're reminiscing) about how I used to ask them why we didn't recycle (among other things) when I was like, 2-3 years old. Now people only do it because it's the "cool" ****ing thing to do. "Go green." What the hell does that even mean. What a bullshit phrase. Another slogan thought up by marketing geniuses and everyone's buying into it.
I don't know, I'm not going to stop recycling just because people apparently think it's "cool". Sure, 'green' products like cars and electronics might be a fad, but I've never heard of recycling being a fad. If anything, I think people need to learn better how to sort out what's recycling and what's garbage :p.

Old 09-13-2009 at 09:24 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
I don't know, I'm not going to stop recycling just because people apparently think it's "cool". Sure, 'green' products like cars and electronics might be a fad, but I've never heard of recycling being a fad. If anything, I think people need to learn better how to sort out what's recycling and what's garbage :p.
Maybe you won't stop, but idiots will. The rest of the population who IS buying into the fad WILL stop in probably... I don't know, I'll say 3 years. Let's just throw in a random number, because we all know the fad's going to die. In the very near future, those mindless idiots who are following this fad will realize that they're not seeing any immediate effects of their "contributions," and they'll stop. We all know it.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-13-2009 at 09:34 PM   #41
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Maybe you won't stop, but idiots will. The rest of the population who IS buying into the fad WILL stop in probably... I don't know, I'll say 3 years. Let's just throw in a random number, because we all know the fad's going to die. In the very near future, those mindless idiots who are following this fad will realize that they're not seeing any immediate effects of their "contributions," and they'll stop. We all know it.
I don't think that will happen. Why would it revert back? Plenty of countries, such as Germany and a lot of other countries in Europe, have remained environmentally conscious.

Old 09-13-2009 at 10:19 PM   #42
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The water bottle - Thirst, and not wanting to drink teeth-rotting Coke(soft drinks). When a water fountain not available, sometimes it's necessary. Or when the water fountain is broken or tastes all funny or water is boiling -- hey, it happens.

The 1 sip thing i dunno, there's always idiots.

-- Also, water bottle bottles can be recycled, not the best option, but the least you can do.
Oh ya, I understand doing it once in a while when you have no access to clean water. But some people buy bottled water religiously under the assumption that it is better for you.

I think re-filling plastic bottles if fine too, though I don't know how safe that is, I have heard various things about refilling plastic bottles with tap water. I do it regardless. :/

I think buying a stainless steel water bottle would be the best, and carry it around with you always. =]

Old 09-13-2009 at 10:20 PM   #43
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
I feel like I've had this conversation with you before many months back, haha.

I've been discouraged from certain types of recycling after visiting a recycling plant. I encourage you guys to do the same and make a decision for yourselves. (:

Paper - It's kinda gross, and seems like it, in and of itself, is environmentally unfriendly (bleaching, run-off etc).

Plastic - I wasn't a huge fan (tons of thick, dark smoke during the melting/refinement process)

Aluminum - On the other hand, it was very clean and efficient...so no complaints here. (:

---------------------

Quote:
I don't think that will happen. Why would it revert back? Plenty of countries, such as Germany and a lot of other countries in Europe, have remained environmentally conscious.
The problem is that in Canada we are particularly volatile when it comes to trends and political issues. Why? Because we're like 800 countries mixed into 1. :p Our population is far more diverse than other countries, and the tides ebb and flow when it comes to who the 'majority' of voters are.

Conversely, the 'younger population' is almost exclusively shaped by the media, regardless of race, religion, etc. so who knows, maybe it won't change. *shrug*

Old 09-13-2009 at 11:04 PM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I feel like I've had this conversation with you before many months back, haha.

I've been discouraged from certain types of recycling after visiting a recycling plant. I encourage you guys to do the same and make a decision for yourselves. (:

Paper - It's kinda gross, and seems like it, in and of itself, is environmentally unfriendly (bleaching, run-off etc).

Plastic - I wasn't a huge fan (tons of thick, dark smoke during the melting/refinement process)

Aluminum - On the other hand, it was very clean and efficient...so no complaints here. (:
lol ya, I remember when we had that discussion months back on almost the same thing.

I think it would be nice if more things came in metal containers over plastic. Metal is pretty much indefinitely recyclable, while plastic degrades quickly after a few cycles. I would see plastic as more viable if we just reused the containers rather than actually melting them down again...

On a side note: Anyone find it ridiculously stupid how so many things come hermetically sealed inside a plastic bubble? I nearly destroyed my teeth the other day trying to open one of those plastic packages to get a USB cable out. I have also been noticing you can buy hermetically sealed grape apple hybrids at Fortinos, lol. Honestly... why the hell does that need to be hermetically sealed?

What ever happened to sticking things onto a piece of cardboard, or in a cardboard box? :p

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search