MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is McMaster Chemical Engineering? superman208 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-09-2012 01:26 PM
McMaster Engineering '15/'16 Talon89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-26-2011 11:17 AM
Mcmaster engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 35 03-09-2010 08:52 AM
McMaster engineering dynast First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-13-2008 05:22 PM
McMaster Engineering - 50 years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-11-2008 09:34 AM

McMaster Engineering Co-Op

Old 05-25-2013 at 05:57 PM   #1
proness2

Liked: 0 Times

McMaster Engineering Co-Op
Hey! I'm going into first year McMaster Engineering. I was wondering if I could get any feedback about McMaster's co-op. Specifically, I'm wondering about the employers' opinions of McMaster students, the percentage of students who end up getting co-op placements, and any type of comments from people who have or haven't gotten co-op placements.

Thank you!
Old 05-25-2013 at 06:46 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I took the coop course this year and the prof was gleaming. Last year was the highest hiring rate of ~20%
Old 05-25-2013 at 08:11 PM   #3
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Most companies have fairly strong ties with U of T and Waterloo and their hiring patterns heavily reflect that, but Mac has been getting more attention over the years.

Fresh out of first year and in some cases second year, most find it tough to get a co-op directly in their field of interest as most of the necessary coursework is not taught until third year.

Don't be too picky for the first couple co-ops, but if you do find an interesting job give it a try.

A lot of people have much better luck landing an internship before their last year of study (12 - 16 month duration) as employers like the fact that they have interns working with them for a while and gain a better feel for hire-back candidates.

Pretty sure almost everyone that I know landed an internship after third year that I know of.
Old 05-25-2013 at 09:11 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by proness2 View Post
Hey! I'm going into first year McMaster Engineering. I was wondering if I could get any feedback about McMaster's co-op. Specifically, I'm wondering about the employers' opinions of McMaster students, the percentage of students who end up getting co-op placements, and any type of comments from people who have or haven't gotten co-op placements.

Thank you!
Don't expect a 4 months coop after 1st year or 2nd year, its highly unlikely unless you have some sort of industry connection.

However, most people do get a 16-month internship after 3rd year. It is very likely to get a placement during this time with a decent company (depending on your stream)

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 05-26-2013 at 12:20 AM   #5
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Me wants co-op but not get it sadly :( Do any upper years have any tips for getting a co-op position. people keep saying it's easy and they are like chemical, software engineers, etc that have positions in like power plants,etc

**Computer Engineering**
Old 05-26-2013 at 09:52 AM   #6
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
Me wants co-op but not get it sadly :( Do any upper years have any tips for getting a co-op position. people keep saying it's easy and they are like chemical, software engineers, etc that have positions in like power plants,etc
Do not limit yourself to what OSCAR posts for jobs and research on companies that interest you and apply directly. Make use of family/friend connections to get your foot in the door, if you are able to.

If you do not land a co-op in your first couple of years, do not stress about it. Land a part-time job and gain general work experience. Most who apply for these positions have zero work experience at all. Though the part-time work might not be related to the position, the fact that you have worked in the past definitely helps your chances.
Old 05-26-2013 at 10:12 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Don't expect a 4 months coop after 1st year or 2nd year, its highly unlikely unless you have some sort of industry connection.

However, most people do get a 16-month internship after 3rd year. It is very likely to get a placement during this time with a decent company (depending on your stream)
This. I've been working in the software consulting industry ever since after my first year but only solely because of industry connections. If you have some good ones, you should be good for the most part. If you don't, it'll be really hard to get one after your first and second year. Like others have said, you should look towards internships then, and don't be too picky about the location either. Take what you get usually. Work experience is work experience regardless of where it is (even in the case of relocation).