MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng: McMaster Engineering Custom Vehicle Team temptingf8 Request Calendar Event 0 10-04-2010 11:37 PM
McMaster Engineering - Coop MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-25-2008 08:48 PM
McMaster engineering dynast First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-13-2008 05:22 PM
McMaster Engineering - 50 years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-11-2008 09:34 AM
McMaster Engineering Competition! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-12-2007 02:36 AM

Mcmaster engineering

Old 03-04-2010 at 09:58 PM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Mcmaster engineering
I have applied to mcmaster's engineering program. My current average is an 82. Also to let you now i applied to the coop program . What are my chances of making it in this university and will mcmaster also reject me and give me an offer in plain engineering instead of coop.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:40 PM   #2
j.luong

Liked: 2 Times

Last years cut off mark for McMaster's Engineering program was 82%. I applied for the Engineering Co-op program last year with an 82%, but was rejected and given an offer into the Bachelor of Technology program. However, based on the number of applicants and the averages of the applicants each year, the cut off mark may be higher or lower.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:42 PM   #3
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Plain engineering and engineering co-op is the same admission. You can sign up with no co-op and still do co-op later on.

an 82 average isn't bad. I think I got into engineering co-op last year with an 80 or 81%. Just make sure you maintain it near the end cause i believe the average you must attain near the end must be greater than 79%
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:45 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I *think* McMaster only takes your highest 6 marks into account (outside of chem, physics, and the two maths of course), so your average may be a bit higher than you think.
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:01 AM   #5
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

They take required six for engineering, i messed up, stuck back another year =[. Cutoff last year was 79 (yeah im a noob). Got final offer this time around, and scholarship =].

Chances of plain engineering imo is not likely. The reason why you probably dont have an offer yet is cause they are waiting on your midterms.
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:04 AM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I think Dillon's half-right, but it's been a while and I suppose things may have changed.

Mac takes marks from grade 12 Chem, Physics, Calc and Vectors, and English.

This leaves you with two bird spots. If you're going into Engineering, it's more likely than not that Advanced Functions is one of these but there's nothing saying that it has to be. It's a prereq for Calc and Vectors anyway, so you have to have taken it.

Unless you happened to be part of the mess that happened when the grade 12 maths all had an orgy, resulting in three children: one stupidly easy course, one relatively difficult course, and while Data stayed the same on the outside, the course content seems to have been butchered into an unrecognizable mess. At my high school, at least.

While it's possible to land a co-op job after first-year Eng, it's relatively unlikely and I recommend you save the $125 or so in fees and not bother with it even if you are accepted. Some will disagree with me, but it's up to you to decide.

If your current average is 82, then you still have a little time before midterms to bring it up if you didn't already get early admission. I'd bring it up a few notches just to be safe; you can sort of start slacking after midterm season and your acceptance is secured. Just keep it above 80 for that entrance scholarship.

Also, do LEAP + Headstart.
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:16 AM   #7
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

I'd say 90% chance you get in. Last year's cutoff was 82%, but the Engineering entrance average has gone up every year for the last three years I believe

Last edited by lmasud : 03-05-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:12 PM   #8
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
While it's possible to land a co-op job after first-year Eng, it's relatively unlikely and I recommend you save the $125 or so in fees and not bother with it even if you are accepted. Some will disagree with me, but it's up to you to decide.

Co-op is a waste of money, in my experience. You pay to have access to OSCAR and take a lousy course that gives you resume writing/interview tips that you could have found for yourself, online. The co-op office doesn't *help* you find a job, and your chances of getting a job aren't any better than someone who is looking by themselves.

Save your money. If you really want to use OSCAR, find a friend who is in the co-op program and be really nice to them until they let you use their account to find postings.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:20 PM   #9
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Co-op is a waste of money, in my experience. You pay to have access to OSCAR and take a lousy course that gives you resume writing/interview tips that you could have found for yourself, online. The co-op office doesn't *help* you find a job, and your chances of getting a job aren't any better than someone who is looking by themselves.

Save your money. If you really want to use OSCAR, find a friend who is in the co-op program and be really nice to them until they let you use their account to find postings.
Thats not how it works. you need to be registered with the co-op program to apply, and accept co-op offers through McMaster.

But I agree, Mac's co-op program really needs improve. Its pretty cheap compared to what people at Waterloo or Toronto pay, but there are barely any jobs available, especially for first years.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:23 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
T...there are barely any jobs available, especially for first years.
Doing co-op in first year isn't that smart. You hardly know anything useful to any employers after first year...
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:24 PM   #11
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Doing co-op in first year isn't that smart. You hardly know anything useful to any employers after first year...

is there a way to change it on the ouac website still
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:26 PM   #12
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Thats not how it works. you need to be registered with the co-op program to apply, and accept co-op offers through McMaster.
Well, you can't apply to jobs using someone else's OSCAR account, but you can view job postings, find out what companies are looking for students, what the requirements are etc. true, you could probably do that by searching through their websites, but its nice to have all that information in one place.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:28 PM   #13
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryboy View Post
is there a way to change it on the ouac website still
It's not necessary. Even though you choose co-op, you're technically not registered until you fill out the forms and complete the required course in your first year.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:29 PM   #14
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Mcmaster engineering
Sorry to repeat the same question as i did on my previous forum. The reason of this new form is that i wanted to let you know what my marks are.

Chemistry-89
Physics-81
Adv Function - 82
English-75.

My average would be an 82 currently.

This semester I have :

Calculus and vectors : (80-85)
Religion: (80-85)
Comtech : (80-85)

With these will i make into mcmaster's engineering program. I really want to get into mcmaster. Can anyone tell me any advice or what should Ido to get into mcmaster's engineering program.

Last edited by terryboy : 03-05-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:47 PM   #15
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

you will get in, just keep working hard