MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng: McMaster Engineering Custom Vehicle Team temptingf8 Request Calendar Event 0 10-04-2010 11:37 PM
Mcmaster engineering terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 35 03-09-2010 08:52 AM
McMaster Engineering - Coop MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-25-2008 08:48 PM
McMaster Engineering - 50 years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-11-2008 09:34 AM
McMaster Engineering Competition! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-12-2007 02:36 AM

McMaster engineering

Old 05-11-2008 at 02:47 PM   #1
dynast

Liked: 0 Times

Mcmaster engineering
hi all,
im not sure if this is the thread to ask, but,
I'm a prospective student here, got accepted into most engineering programs, and i was wondering:

1. How is Mcmaster's engineering? In terms of reputation, and academic strength? I went to UofT, and Waterloo's open houses, and it was obvious that they had some top notch engineering programs. I went to tour the Mcmaster engineering building...and it seemed quite mediocre, especially in comparison to their health science building.

2. How hard is Mcmaster's engineering. If you work hard, can you get a 80%?

3. How are the job prospects from this program? Don't UofT and Waterloo grads get all the good job?
Old 05-11-2008 at 03:37 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

First of all, what type of engineering are you going into? I too have toured McMaster, Waterloo, and UofT.

Quite frankly I was entirely unimpressed with Waterloo's engineering facilities, and the university as a whole. Their buildings seemed old and run down, and there machinery looked like it was WWII era. Im interested in electrical engineering, and when they showed me the supposedly "state of the art" WEEF (sp?) lab, my dad(who is an electrician) told me he had more advanced equipment in his garage.

Perhaps I didn't see the best of Waterloo's engineering facilities, but needless to say I didn't even apply there.

At UofT, I didn't see much of their mechanical/civil engineering facilities, but their facilities for electrical and computer engineering were pretty impressive.

To be honest, if you toured the Hodgkins engineering building at McMaster I think the tour guide must have not shown you the nicest stuff. From my own personal tours of Waterloo and UofT, I saw nothing that came close to the equipment in this building. I was talking to one of the mechanical engineering professors at Mac and he said the equipment there was some of the best in north america.

As for jobs, Waterloo and UofT do have a slightly better reputation than mac (But I'd say mac isn't far behind these two...it probably has the 3rd highest engineering rep in ontario), but because all engineering prgrams in Canada are accredited by the same people, no university in particular will give you a huge advantage wityh jobs.

In the end I chose Mac because of the university, not the program in particular. Any accredited university in Canada will give an excellent engineering education. What Ive been told is that you should genuinely base it on which campus you will enjoy living at the most.

Waterloo is an ugly campus and Ive heard they have no spirit (not to mention its a sausage-fest), UofT is nicer (right downtown Toronto), supposedly has better spirit and actually has some girls, but Ive heard its very difficult to get good marks here and since there are so many students at U of T, its easy to get "lost in the crowd".

McMaster, on the other hand, has lots of ladies (), is a beautiful campus, has one of the most spirited engineering faculties in Canada, and still has an engineering proram with an excellent reputation.

Long story short, if I were you, Id choose Mac....but of course, there are lots of people who choose UofT and Waterloo and are still happy with their choices so its really entirely up to you.
Old 05-11-2008 at 04:08 PM   #3
dynast

hey, wow, thanks for that report, it was insightful really.

so, you're saying that the engineering faculty at Mac has good equipment and stuff? i think i did miss out then...

can anyone give some insight on how well Mac engineering grads do regarding jobs? like, how long does it usually take to get a first job after grad?

also, at Mac, the health science students seem to take all the praise/attention... just look at the building. How can people stand that? its like anyone else is second class... thats just my feeling.
Old 05-11-2008 at 04:15 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Did any of you see the building near Main Street under construction? That is going to be another engineering building. Granted, it won't be done for a few years...but it will be state of the art and whatnot.

I was in Toronto two weeks ago, and was actually on the St. George campus. Their engineering building looked so ghetto...although JHE (John Hopkins Engineering) is a bit of an older building...it didn't look like part of the Bronx.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-11-2008 at 04:16 PM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

Well, its not only the Health Sciences students that will have a nice building for long...check this out...brand new 38 million dollar engineering building will be ready for Sept. 09

http://ppims.mcmaster.ca/constructio...ngineering.htm

And regarding jobs, I know that most employers look much more at work experience than what school you went to. For this reason, no matter where you go, I recommend doing as much CO-OP as possible. I personally am going to try to do co-op every summer, and the year-long work period mac offers after 3rd year.
Old 05-11-2008 at 04:17 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I beat you, J-Met.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-11-2008 at 06:06 PM   #7
J-Met
Elite Member

Dangy....hate it when that happens...if only I was 1 minute sooner hehe
Old 05-11-2008 at 08:00 PM   #8
soroush122

J-Met U got a nice review there , I agree with you mostly about GIRLS and great campus in Mcmaster and quite dead one in Waterloo and U of T. After visiting Mc my Priority changed to : 1- Girls 2- Food 3-Campus 4- Girls 5- Residence 6- Education I found girls in Mcmaster more attractive than other universities so far. so I would definitely choose it as my University cause I dont like to spend 4 years with bunch of nerds in U of T . By the way, I talked with many students specially in engineering and most of them were satisfied or even more with Mcmaster. The Co-op isnt as bad as I thought. I'll visit U of T on May 24 and then make the final decision, However I dont think I would choose any university other than Mcmaster. Oh which Residence did u like most? and which one do u plan to get?
Old 05-13-2008 at 03:59 PM   #9
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

You might want to reconsider waterloo and uoft, heck i would go there if it wasn't so competitive..dont get me wrong! I didn't say Mac Engineering is going to be a cake walk..in the end we all must work hard..but Mac is a fairly good university in a nice city (I heard) with fairly good rep..I have to agree with J-Met..its prolly 3-4th in Canada

This may sound rather stupid but I wonder if anyone wouldn't mind answering, you guys think I can get a job in Downtown, Toronto? Im pretty sure the answer is no but is it possible in 4 years..its not that I have nothing against working in Hamilton..its just that I've lived in Scarborough for over 17 years...sure its not Downtown but its a lot closer than Hamilton..Im prolly getting ahead of myself lol
Old 05-13-2008 at 05:22 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Anyone can get a job anywhere provided they meet the requirements and interview well.

People don't stay in Hamilton after they graduate