MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-23-2010 at 12:27 PM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Mcmaster football
I was wondering when football starts at Mcmaster. I will be a first year and i'm interested in playing so i was wondering if there was any tryouts or anything like that. I tried contacting the coach but he didnt answer my e-mail or calls.
Old 07-23-2010 at 01:35 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm not sure if this applies to football as well, but here is the link to tryout information for all teams. It seems to not be updated yet for the 2010-2011 season, but apparently if you check back later in the summer they should be up. This webpage has worked in the past, so hopefully it'll be maintained for this year too.

http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/studen...te/tryouts.htm
Old 07-24-2010 at 10:36 PM   #3
amare

They should really post it earlier so students know how to plan for the summer. Thx for the info though.
Old 07-24-2010 at 11:43 PM   #4
YoWhat

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
I tried contacting the coach but he didnt answer my e-mail or calls.
take a hint
Old 07-25-2010 at 12:02 AM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoWhat View Post
take a hint
Did you read the whole post?

Old 07-25-2010 at 04:14 AM   #6
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoWhat View Post
take a hint
Don't be a douche...
Old 07-25-2010 at 10:29 AM   #7
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Traditionally, I believe pre-season camp starts two weeks before WW, so I'm guessing this year it's the week of August 23rd. I'm also fairly certain that prospective student athletes who weren't directly recruited from high school need to contact coach Stef Ptaszek for tryout details. Since he's not returning your communications, I would try contacting Jeff Giles (director of athletics and recreation - [email protected]) because Ptaszek might be on vacation or something.

Last edited by kenneth526 : 07-25-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:18 PM   #8
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Tryouts are typically early August to mid August for all fall/winter sports.
Old 08-09-2010 at 10:41 PM   #9
amare

The coach sounds like a great guy he is really good at communicating with his players I contacted Jeff and he said would ask the coach when tryouts were but still no answer. I dont think i'm going to tryout anyways because I have the rest of my summer planned out and i've heard Laurier has their training camp next week so it would be around the same time i think, he also gave me info about their team 2 months ago when i was deciding between schools. Thanks for all the help though!
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:06 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't know about football, but I know for rugby, my boyfriend was recruited before he even graduated from grade 12. The reason the coaches aren't answering your phonecalls or emails is because they probably have enough players already (upper year students who played for Mac before, or new recruits from highschool)

You can always go to the tryouts and see what happens. But my guess is, if you didn't play football in highschool, they won't want you on the team. If you did play in highschool but you weren't recruited, it's because they recruited other players.

Sorry :( I don't want to sound mean. It's just that university sports can be very competitive and the coaches do most of the recruiting before try outs. But it doesn't hurt to try!
Old 08-10-2010 at 05:16 PM   #11
amare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't know about football, but I know for rugby, my boyfriend was recruited before he even graduated from grade 12. The reason the coaches aren't answering your phonecalls or emails is because they probably have enough players already (upper year students who played for Mac before, or new recruits from highschool)

You can always go to the tryouts and see what happens. But my guess is, if you didn't play football in highschool, they won't want you on the team. If you did play in highschool but you weren't recruited, it's because they recruited other players.

Sorry :( I don't want to sound mean. It's just that university sports can be very competitive and the coaches do most of the recruiting before try outs. But it doesn't hurt to try!
Yeah i kind of realize now. I played in the 1st 2 years of high school but not the last 2 because of injury and in the last year i actually played i was recruited by U of T.....enough said about that
Old 08-10-2010 at 05:20 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Yeah i kind of realize now. I played in the 1st 2 years of high school but not the last 2 because of injury and in the last year i actually played i was recruited by U of T.....enough said about that
They broke their losing streak a couple years ago! They aren't that bad... *can't contain laughter *