MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New mcmaster gmail Duncanrob Computers & Tech 7 03-31-2012 03:25 PM
how to get mcmaster gmail on iphone fatcat General Discussion 6 03-01-2012 07:34 AM
Gmail a go for McMaster! MD-L MacInsiders Announcements 29 12-23-2011 09:56 PM
gmail issues Awesomeness Residence & Housing 2 10-01-2010 10:10 AM
Stop forwarding mcmaster email to gmail khaotic General Discussion 1 10-22-2009 10:20 PM

McMaster Gmail IMAP

Old 04-01-2012 at 01:56 AM   #1
ArfuzeToLose

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster Gmail IMAP
Hey, so I noticed our McMaster Gmail accounts now support IMAP/POP. However, I can't get it to work on other mail clients such as Apple Mail 5.0 or my phone because the configuration settings don't allow me to access the account. Here's what I thought would work so far but it doesn't:

Incoming Mail (IMAP)
server: imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Username: [email protected]
Password: MAC ID Password
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) server: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes
Port: 465
Password: Mac ID Password.

I got these from Google's Gmail IMAP configuration website and they don't work. Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 04-01-2012 at 08:46 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

its not up yet for everyone.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 04-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2012 at 09:20 AM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

A pretty cruel joke if one. I'm indifferent though
Old 04-01-2012 at 11:51 AM   #4
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArfuzeToLose View Post
Hey, so I noticed our McMaster Gmail accounts now support IMAP/POP. However, I can't get it to work on other mail clients such as Apple Mail 5.0 or my phone because the configuration settings don't allow me to access the account. Here's what I thought would work so far but it doesn't:

Incoming Mail (IMAP)
server: imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Password: MAC ID Password
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) server: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes
Port: 465
Password: Mac ID Password.

I got these from Google's Gmail IMAP configuration website and they don't work. Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated.
Got it working on my iPhone !
About time they got this working.

Also STARTTLS is the same as TLS

EDIT : I am very sorry but I did not read the entire post and for some reason thought this was an April Fools thread, and continued with the joke.

So to be more helpful: UTS said that it should be available by end March. They did not say it will be available For Sure. So just wait some more and I am sure they will make an announcement and update their info page giving us step by step insturctions

Last edited by Crzyrio : 04-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.

ArfuzeToLose likes this.
Old 04-01-2012 at 07:39 PM   #5
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

i can't get it to work on my iphone :(
Old 04-01-2012 at 07:55 PM   #6
alley.xo

Liked: 0 Times

Does anyone know how to sync the mac gmail account on a galaxy nexus android phone?
Old 04-01-2012 at 09:02 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley.xo View Post
Does anyone know how to sync the mac gmail account on a galaxy nexus android phone?
Don't think it's correctly set up for that yet.
Old 04-01-2012 at 11:36 PM   #8
particle
Elite Member

For IMAP to work, make sure you don't have multiple sign-on enabled. Caution that not everyone has IMAP support yet, be warned. It seems there is no way to check until they make an official announcement or something. As of right the only people with IMAP support should be the people in the pilot project.

If you want to set it up on an android phone, use the email app, NOT the gmail app.

If you happen to have IMAP access here are the correct settings:

Incoming server: mcmasterimap.mcmaster .ca
port: 993

Outgoing server: mcmastersmtp.mcmaster .ca
port: 465

Use SSL encryption for both.

I think it would be good to understand why the gmail app doesn't work for our email accounts:
Because our macID passwords can't exactly be given to google for authentication, my guess it's that McMaster does it. Hence you can't login through gmail.com, but must do so through the McMaster Email for Students portal. This also consequently means you can't setup IMAP as if its another gmail account, because simply its not; the server addresses I have provided should work as this is what was given to me since becoming a part of the pilot project. Although I am still having issues I have yet to figure out...

Last edited by particle : 04-02-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2012 at 12:19 AM   #9
ArfuzeToLose

Alright thanks. I definitely have IMAP support because both POP and IMAP are settings I can enable and disable just like my other Gmail account. I'll double check for multiple sign-in but I'm fairly certain it's disabled.

I used those servers with SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing but get password/username errors for some reason. I tried them on my Android native Email app (not Gmail as you said) on ICS and my Blackberry OS 7 with some mail client called LogicMail neither of them work :(
Old 04-02-2012 at 12:42 AM   #10
particle
Elite Member

It's possible that you don't truly have IMAP support, which I hadn't thought of until now. You might see the settings, but it's possible that's just a mistake.

As of right now the only students that should have IMAP access are the people in the pilot project. It wouldn't make sense to roll it out to some students that aren't in the pilot project, but not others.
Old 04-02-2012 at 01:15 AM   #11
ArfuzeToLose

Odd.. why would they do that. I remember wanting to sign up for the beta pilot but I don't remember if I ever went through with it lol. I'll just wait. Let me know if it ends up working on your devices and if anything ever changes. Thanks again
Old 04-02-2012 at 10:48 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Technically you can get IMAP if you can somehow figure out what your McMaster password maps to on Google's end.

My guess is that since McMaster does the authentication, you log into the McMaster portal, and they send a static key to Google that is your Gmail password (but you don't actually know it). So when you change your password, it's only changing on McMaster's end and they're still using the same key to talk to Google.

If someone feels like starting up firebug or something similar, it may be possible to figure out what the McMaster server actually sends to Google.

EDIT: Looked into it, never mind. Looks like google has a whole session merging API for anyone trying to use an external authentication server.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 04-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.