MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteers Needed for McMaster program aviaf General Discussion 4 10-06-2011 12:06 PM
Timetable & Course Advice Needed Sonnet Academics 2 08-22-2010 11:29 PM
Timetable Conflict Help Needed ASAP!! logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-10-2010 12:37 PM
Need a Room Badly !! Venny Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 16 06-10-2010 02:07 PM

McMaster TimeTable- HELP needed badly!

Old 08-07-2012 at 06:15 PM   #1
Briere

Liked: 2 Times

McMaster TimeTable- HELP needed badly!
So this is my first year at Mcmaster and university in general so I don't really have the hang of things yet. This is my problem I am taking engineering and wanted to take econ 1bb3 and 1bo3 however it is saying that there is a "sectioning conflict- core" and when I go to my second term I can't find where the problem is.

I have a few solutions:

1) Somehow make it all work which looks unlikely
2) Take an evening course of 1bb3
3) switch around the econs and see if that works ( right now 1b03 is first semester, but I don't know if that would work)

btw, do I still have to schedule my tutorials and labs? :S

ANY help would be awesome!
Old 08-07-2012 at 06:37 PM   #2
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

It really doesn't matter which order you take 1B03 and 1BB3 in. They're pretty much identical for the first few weeks. If you need to do them in the opposite order to make your timetable work, go right ahead. In fact, I found 1BB3 to be the easier of the two.

Before SOLAR opens up again on the 9th, go to the Master Timetable and type in your course codes. Start up a template for a timetable in Excel, and then pick some cores, labs, and tutorials and add them to the template. When you get a conflict, go back and try a different section for one of the other classes.

There should be a timetable generator posted somewhere in the forum here, but I prefer to do it myself. See my attached .xls for an example of my second semester last year.

Edit: And yes, you'll have to schedule your tutorials and labs. SOLAR's very easy for that though. After you've made a timetable that you like, click Modify on the course you want in SOLAR, and change the core, tutorial, and lab to what you want. Once you accept all the changes, they should show up on your timetable in MUGSI soon after. If a class section is full that you need to be enrolled in for your schedule to work, try calling the Engineering academic advisor and ask to be placed in the course.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Year 2 Timetable Semester 2.xls (31.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-07-2012 at 06:50 PM   #3
nivedr15

Liked: 0 Times

I had the exact same problem you had. I had to switch around the 1b03 to 1st sem and the 1bb3 to 2nd sem and it ended up working out.

Someone posted this on another thread but use the timetablegenerator (google it I dont have enough posts to post links )

it'll save u a lot of time and make things a lot easier. You may need to switch up your labs/tuts of other courses though. Like the guy above me mentioned, use the Mcmaster Master Timetable.
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:06 PM   #4
Briere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedr15 View Post
I had the exact same problem you had. I had to switch around the 1b03 to 1st sem and the 1bb3 to 2nd sem and it ended up working out.

Someone posted this on another thread but use the timetablegenerator (google it I dont have enough posts to post links )

it'll save u a lot of time and make things a lot easier. You may need to switch up your labs/tuts of other courses though. Like the guy above me mentioned, use the Mcmaster Master Timetable.
Can you send me an email about this thread? And I search each course but where does it say the time and date?
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:09 PM   #5
nivedr15

Liked: 0 Times

I pm'ed you it cause i cant post links. And when you search your course it shows you all the cores/labs/tutorials and their respective times and day beside it.
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:11 PM   #6
Briere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedr15 View Post
I pm'ed you it cause i cant post links. And when you search your course it shows you all the cores/labs/tutorials and their respective times and day beside it.
okay thanks for your help
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:26 PM   #7
Briere

So I think I am 100% lost in all of this now. I have no idea where to start, and all this. Why do I need a table maker if I have already been given my time table :S Is that if I really want to change things around?

Last edited by Briere : 08-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:17 PM   #8
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Because you said your timetable has a conflict. That means you are enrolled in two classes that are happening at the exact same time. Since you can't be in both places at once, you need to change your timetable to be conflict-free.

This is the time table generator that was mentioned by a previous poster:
http://www.timetablegenerato r.com/

Also, as that poster said, you'll search the course code in the master timetable, and click the link for the course in the page that follows. That should open a new window, which will tell you the day and time of the course, the location of it, and the professor teaching it (exceptions being labs and tutorials, which are handled by T.A.'s).

In the timetable generator, enter the course and its core/tutorial/lab you want to be enrolled in. It'll add it to the timetable. Keep doing this for all the courses you have, and if a conflict occurs, change the conflicting core/tutorial/lab to another one until you have a full conflict-free schedule.

Now, that being said, on Thursday you will have to go into SOLAR and "Modify" the courses to match the schedule that you've made in the time table generator. Once you've applied the changes you can check the timetable on MUGSI and make sure there aren't any conflicts.

Often, I remake the schedule that Mac gives me regardless because I like to compact all my class into the morning and be finished earlier in the day (gives you a big headstart on homework and studying). I remember that being hard to do in first year Engineering though.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:23 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Try taking a screenshot?