MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster World Congress - Student Position Available nbontis MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-18-2010 10:31 PM
31st McMaster World Congress petkostg MacInsiders Announcements 3 02-23-2010 10:30 PM
World Life Fund at McMaster nilinav Clubs & Groups 0 10-01-2009 12:03 PM
30th McMaster World Congress is coming! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-11-2008 02:57 PM
The McMaster World Congress is taking place this week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-15-2008 11:54 AM

McMaster University makes Top 100 In World

Old 09-16-2010 at 10:31 PM   #15
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I basically live there. It's pretty sweet.

That stupid front door is hard to open

Old 09-16-2010 at 10:33 PM   #16
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
That's the greatest thing about this school, is that even though we're all competing for good grades, we don't really treat it like a rat race. Everyone here is really friendly.

This is a small example, but I when I went to U of T for a tour, people ignored me. When I came to Mac for a tour, people who looked me in the eye went out of their way to ask me if I needed anything.

Also, as a first year, I feel priveliged to have a class in Hamilton Hall. So beautiful.

feonateresa likes this.

Old 09-17-2010 at 10:03 AM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post

This is a small example, but I when I went to U of T for a tour, people ignored me. When I came to Mac for a tour, people who looked me in the eye went out of their way to ask me if I needed anything.
Campus tours really made the difference for me when I was trying to make my final decision between Guelph or Mac. I didn't bother to tour U of T or York b/c I knew I didn't want that experience. So I went to Guelph and I hated the campus, it was like all concrete and just ugh. Then to boot the tour guide was an idiot and made everything confusing. On top of that the people on the tour were obnoxious and rude and nobody at the school was overly nice or helpful. I did this tour first and was scared about University.

Then I came for a March break tour at McMaster and I fell in love. I loved the campus and the tour guide was so friendly, helpful and awesome. She was a 2nd year nursing student if I recall correctly. She knew lots of great tips about campus, shared her experience and gave a great tour.

The tours really set up the environments differently and made it clear where I wanted my undergrad to be. I mean you look into the schools first about academics but on top of that you don't want to spend 4 years hating your life, the area your spend most of your time and all the people around you and being miserable.

While there are rude people everywhere and Mac is no exception most of the people here are generally nice and make it a good place to spend time.

Special shot out to...

The cashiers at all the food places (La Piazza, Commons, Bridges and Bistro) who are all super sweet and helpful. If you're having a shitty day at least if you walk into the student centre to grab a bite before class you know you'll get a friendly greeting, a smile and if they know you they'll ask you how you are etc.

Also to random people in class at the beginning of the year who will make sure to introduce themselves to people, hey now you know one person in the class when you didn't before. As someone who is shy and is used to spending majority of time in small classes with the people in my small program where I know everyone I find it harder when I take an elective in a totally different area and I don't know anyone.

To great TAs who go out of their way to make sure you're getting it and who you genuinely feel like they want you to do well in their course. There are some TAs who will just phone it in, they're clearly just there to get paid and they don't give a damn about you. Fortunately that's not the case for most TAs. Most are students just like you who are in upper years and they know whats it like and because they know what its like they do their best to make that experience better for you.

Mac may be one of the Top 100 universities in the world for all the academic jazz which is great but its also a great place to enjoy your education thanks in part to the people around campus so props to them.

Old 09-17-2010 at 10:09 AM   #18
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
I'm thinking of maybe going to UofT for masters in engineering (if I have the grades come 5th year, and the will... because 5 years of schooling plus a few more.... painful haha) :v

Old 09-17-2010 at 11:17 PM   #19
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times
I've had prospective students ask me about Mac and the ranking thing.....I tell them it's overrated and biased. I don't regret choosing Mac.

Old 09-18-2010 at 12:18 AM   #20
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times
McMaster is also in the top 100 on the ARWU's (Academic Ranking of World Universities) list.
http://www.arwu.org/

Old 10-09-2010 at 05:11 PM   #21
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
That stupid front door is hard to open
Haha, whenever I open the second door, I use the same amount of force I use to open the first door - so, without fail, I end up banging the second door against the glass and wondering how it never breaks...every time

Old 10-09-2010 at 07:43 PM   #22
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times
Before I started at Mac, it was all about the rankings, grades, quality of profs, and the campus itself. And to the everyday person, or maybe to anyone who doesn't go to Mac, they may agree - that those four things are all that matter in a university. But it was only after I started at Mac that I realized that it's the people there that made a difference. The people are so friendly and helpful, and it made *such* a huge difference to me.

I'm quite an introvert, and I was so intimidated at having to start university and having to live at home while doing so...I wasn't really hyped up about it. I was really worried about making friends (and I still am somewhat). But just talking to people, both new and non-first-year students, really helped me settle down. Simple things (as mentioned above) like the cashiers so genuinely wishing you a good day really cheers you up. Almost everyone I talked to during first week (while standing in lines, at booth, etc) was so warm and welcoming; and although I really wanted to see a couple of them again, I never did.

My situation hasn't really changed, meaning that I don't really have friends that I can hang out with out of the classroom, only those who I randomly talk to in classes, but the character of the people at Mac (for the most part) has allowed me to open up quite a bit more.

Old 10-09-2010 at 09:05 PM   #23
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Before I started at Mac, it was all about the rankings, grades, quality of profs, and the campus itself. And to the everyday person, or maybe to anyone who doesn't go to Mac, they may agree - that those four things are all that matter in a university. But it was only after I started at Mac that I realized that it's the people there that made a difference. The people are so friendly and helpful, and it made *such* a huge difference to me.

I'm quite an introvert, and I was so intimidated at having to start university and having to live at home while doing so...I wasn't really hyped up about it. I was really worried about making friends (and I still am somewhat). But just talking to people, both new and non-first-year students, really helped me settle down. Simple things (as mentioned above) like the cashiers so genuinely wishing you a good day really cheers you up. Almost everyone I talked to during first week (while standing in lines, at booth, etc) was so warm and welcoming; and although I really wanted to see a couple of them again, I never did.

My situation hasn't really changed, meaning that I don't really have friends that I can hang out with out of the classroom, only those who I randomly talk to in classes, but the character of the people at Mac (for the most part) has allowed me to open up quite a bit more.

I can never get over how nice the people are here. It actually concerned me for a while. I mean, something has to be up. Is there something in the water? The air?

None of that. I mean, Friday, I broke into Bridges with this guy I had just met 5 seconds earlier. We went in through the back because the doors weren't open at 11, and we found out from the time sheet inside that it was closed that day. After leaving, the guy and I smiled at our pseudo criminal behaviour, shook hands, and said "See you around".

If I tried that at U of T, I would get cut-eye.

Old 10-09-2010 at 10:03 PM   #24
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times
wow 93 not bad at all
i am reallly happy we are in the top 100

Old 10-09-2010 at 11:50 PM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Agreeed. That's actually a pretty decent rating . Yay MAC Wooo!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search