MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog? hummeld General Discussion 151 11-03-2009 09:21 PM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM
McMaster CUPE strike? Husnia General Discussion 14 02-02-2009 08:08 PM

McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:45 AM   #120
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
It makes sense, doesn't it? You can't exactly cross the picket lines and then gain the benefits once the union does it work. It's kind of counter intuititive.
It makes sense to threaten violence against people who disagree with the strike, did not sign up to join the union, and were not given the opportunity to vote on the strike package?

Threats to my personal safety due to difference of opinion is something I would not expect at a place of higher learning.

malycknm, Taunton like this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:46 AM   #121
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
One particular tactic... LMAO. You mean it was ONE situation out of hundreds! Stop exaggerating things!
That was an example.

Just as you pointed out to me earlier that "clearly I'm against the strike so..." (not entirely true but that's what you said) I will just say "clearly you're pro-strike, pro-CUPE, pro-whatever so you can continue on but since you aren't really into rational debates I can't take you seriously." All you want to do is laugh at and bite back at anyone who says anything against CUPE or the strike, you don't wish to engage in rational deabte with them.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:49 AM   #122
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post
It makes sense to threaten violence against people who disagree with the strike, did not sign up to join the union, and were not given the opportunity to vote on the strike package?

Threats to my personal safety due to difference of opinion is something I would not expect at a place of higher learning.
You do realize that when you take a job, you have to know whether it is under a union or whether it is not.

For example, my father works for a company that has no union and he realizes that this has both its pros and cons. My mother, a nurse on the other hand, does work under a union and realizes that there is always a possibility for strike--whether she wants it or not. As there was a vote in a few months ago whereby 300 TAs voted for a strike at McMaster, it was bound to happen. 300 voices won't go ignored.

These TAs have chosen to cross the line, and that takes bravery and courage. They know what they are going up against.

Last edited by Parnian : 11-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:50 AM   #123
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
Look AYuen, I am on the side of everyone but CUPE for their decision to not hold a vote for TA's, but even I think you took things WAY too far with "violence" . No one is threatening violence here in the slightest. Closest you get is the union's suggestion to take photos and get detailed personal information on anyone that crosses the picket lines...

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:52 AM   #124
kleung

Liked: 57 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Look AYuen, I am on the side of everyone but CUPE for their decision to not hold a vote for TA's, but even I think you took things WAY too far with "violence" . No one is threatening violence here in the slightest. Closest you get is the union's suggestion to take photos and get detailed personal information on anyone that crosses the picket lines...
I would disagree with that. There have been comments on the CUPE Bargaining Blog suggesting that scabs "watch their back".

AYuen says thanks to kleung for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:55 AM   #125
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
I would disagree with that. There have been comments on the CUPE Bargaining Blog suggesting that scabs "watch their back".
And there have been absolutely no comments that CUPE supporters should "watch their back"? I have nothing more to say to you.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:55 AM   #126
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
ignore, beaten to the point

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:57 AM   #127
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times
Quote:
mike: " “continuing to work during a strike” is called “scabbing”. where i come from scabs watch their backs."

from: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...able/#comments

I dunno, I think that's pretty clear.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:59 AM   #128
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
I think there's a question here that isn't being asked.

Why does CUPE want photos, full names, addresses, liscence plate #s etc for "scabs?"

Maybe they didn't threaten violence but it would be interesting to know why they want to collect that information. If it is to harass the TAs in any way its wrong and doesn't make it much better than violence.

arathbon, Maegs like this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:02 PM   #129
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
As I have said before: I am not 100% on every detail of this strike, so I'm treading carefully. If that was posted on a CUPE Bargaining Blog, I have 2 things to say:

1. WTF? What happened to peaceful protests and mature people?
2. Things won't go to violence. There is always the odd idiot that says something stupid like that. And if it was really meant by someone with authority, and stuff DOES go down, I would like to reiterate: WHAT..... THE.... FU( |< !?!?!?

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:55 PM   #130
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I
Why does CUPE want photos, full names, addresses, liscence plate #s etc for "scabs?"
It's surely not to get together for tea.

Of course no organization can officially declare that they want to collect people's information to harass them or commit any other harm to strikebreakers... that would be "conspiring to __________" (insert crime), and the union could be in real trouble with the police.

It's all sort of "understood" if you will.

TA's who cross the line to work could potentially be harassed or have their houses vandalized, or worse, be assaulted when nobody is around. It happens, it's a known fact (it's happened throughout the history of unions) and it's one of the worst things about unions.

Here's what I say: cross the line anyways. If enough people do it, and people stay vocal about any issues they have with the union, CUPE could never get away with any crimes they happen to commit against strike breakers.

Interesting side story:

My grandfather worked for most of his life for the (unionized) Canada postal service. They went on strike a number of times, and a number of times he considered crossing the line because the union doesn't pay enough for a working man to feed his family.

Know what he was told?

"Cross this line and we'll break your legs".

Last edited by Taunton : 11-01-2009 at 12:58 PM.

arathbon likes this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 01:12 PM   #131
Stan

Liked: 10 Times
Well should any violence breakout, which I hope doesn't. At least McMaster police will be on there for standby, also you shouldn't be harassed if you cross the picket line, in the event you are, contact police and they will sort it out. Another way is to keep a recorder on you at all times, as well as keep your hand ready to press the 911 button if any number of ppl approach you and you feel unsafe.

Old 11-01-2009 at 01:23 PM   #132
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
And there have been absolutely no comments that CUPE supporters should "watch their back"? I have nothing more to say to you.
Uhh no. Nobody has threatened CUPE with physical violence because we are all too busy worrying about our own damn educations and the ramifications of this strike. We're not a bunch of leftist activists trying to draw attention to a cause that a large chunk of the CUPE 3906 membership is against.

On these boards the worst that is happened is very constructive talk about a picket line formed against CUPE with the condition that everything is kept mature and civil.

Taunton likes this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 01:38 PM   #133
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Uhh no. Nobody has threatened CUPE with physical violence because we are all too busy worrying about our own damn educations and the ramifications of this strike. We're not a bunch of leftist activists trying to draw attention to a cause that a large chunk of the CUPE 3906 membership is against.

On these boards the worst that is happened is very constructive talk about a picket line formed against CUPE with the condition that everything is kept mature and civil.
In another thread someone talked about driving through a picket line. :\

I sincerely hope that there will be no violence directed towards the TAs who are picketing and people who are entering campus (such as TAs who are crossing the picket line).

Old 11-01-2009 at 01:40 PM   #134
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
In another thread someone talked about driving through a picket line. :\

She talked about inching forward, not charging through. Her intentions were not to hurt anyone.

This is not an example of threatening violence against unionists.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Taunton for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search