MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice! lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-11-2009 02:22 PM
Why did YOU choose McMaster? kenvin100 General Discussion 31 09-25-2008 02:33 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

McMaster: Why Did You Choose It?

Old 08-02-2009 at 08:09 AM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

McMaster: Why Did You Choose It?
While there was a thread like this last year, I think it's always fun and nice to talk about why we decided to go to this awesome university, first years especially!

Let's see... I chose Mac because of the beautiful campus, the welcoming and close knit feel of the community and the fact that I'd have to live on my own for the first time. I didn't really choose Mac because of it's reputation (even though it is generally a good one), in fact for me it was a decision between Mac & UofT but in the end I chose Mac because I just felt at home here.

After spending a year here, I love Mac for the same reasons listed above and the great and helpful professors and TAs, the amazing program that I discovered, and the fun events that happen throughout the year. I really enjoyed my first year, I even had fun writing a couple of my exams at the end of the year because I enjoyed a particular class so much haha.

What about you?
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:17 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

When I was in grade 3 I had wanted to become a doctor and so decided to go to McGill, then I realized that it was in Quebec and felt it was too far away from home. In grade 4, I was like 'oh, well Mac has a med program.... so I'll go there." Grade 12 eventually came around and though I didn't want to go to med school I still felt that Mac was a great school and they had a pretty good psychology program and so that's why I came. However, as you all know, I'm no longer in psychology but I definitely don't regret my decision to come to McMaster despite having poor reasons to attend in the first place.
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:27 AM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Was debating going to Waterloo for Chem Eng. In short, I didn't wanna go into debt for my undergrad and take out loans. Deciding between U of T Eng and Mac Eng, I realized I didn't want to commute to Toronto every morning/night.

So I was left with McMaster. I'd be commuting but it's not too far from where I live. I had applied to Life Sci/Business/Eng here, but the one that stood out was life sci. I also realized sci leaves me with more options in future .

Never looked back!
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:29 AM   #4
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I decided to go into engineering when I was in grade 10 and at the time I really wanted to go to McMaster. I had already starting reading the reviews for universities in the MacLean's magazine, McMaster always had good reviews. Then in my last year of high school (victory lap year) for some reason I decided that I wanted to go to Waterloo because they were known worldwide for their engineering co-op program.
Then came march break of my last year of highschool and I visited Waterloo and Mcmaster. I was definitely more excited to go and see Waterloo but when I got there I felt SO out of place and akward, I felt like everyone there thought I shouldn't be there. So when we were leaving I decided I would give McMaster a chance. And the second I walked on campus I knew I was at my rightful home. Sounds corny I know but still I felt like it was the place I should have been all my life. I'm now going into my third year here and I will never look back on my decision. I love this school so much that I'm thinking about doing a doctoral degree and hopefully one day being a professor here at Mac.

Geek, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:32 AM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
I love this school so much that I'm thinking about doing a doctoral degree and hopefully one day being a professor here at Mac.
Ditto. However, I'd advise against getting your doctorate from here. McMaster tends to hire people with PhDs from other universities. I'm coming back to be a sessional prof just to teach Moral Issues and I'll have a full-time job at a hospital as a bioethicist. I also kinda want to be the IRC's Senior Advisor in the slightly-far future. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

ingénieur.xo, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:50 AM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Last minute decision.

>_>
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:59 AM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I was open-minded, and had experienced a variety of university campuses, including McGill, Queens, Ottawa, Concordia and UQAM. Then March break came around, and that gave me the opportunity to come check out Mac, and when I did, it was like I was at home. The feeling was unique... kinda like two puzzle pieces fitting together. I even commented to my parents at the end of our time on campus that day "I wish I didn't have to leave".

On top of the immaculate "at-home" feeling, my parents and I were thoroughly impressed with Mac's science program (since I wanted to be a scientist pretty much forever).
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:08 AM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I only had enough money to apply to one school. I wanted to stay out of Toronto, just because it costs more to live there. It came down to Trent or McMaster, and I wanted out of Peterborough, so McMaster won.
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:09 AM   #9
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

It's because of the Medical Radiation Sciences program. Back in Winnipeg, it's only a diploma program, and the prerequisite is at least one year of university. However, there's only 10-ish spots for these programs, so most candidates would have a degree beforehand. However, I could get a Bachelor of Science degree along with a MRS diploma at the same time, so that attracted me.

As some would know, the MRS program has the radiology, ultrasound, and radiation therapy options. Although my preference would be the latter (because my grandmother and ex-gf had cancer) I wouldn't mind getting into either option as I have exposure and interest in all of them. I've had broken bones so I've had x-rays done, I've had kidney stones and ultrasound was used to detect and pulverize the stones, and I had loved ones with cancer. So MRS is like the perfect match.

Also, McMaster has high ratings on MacLean's. I don't take them seriously, but if a university can consistently place high on the list, it's got to be good right?

So there you have it. That's why I picked Mac.

Last edited by _Luu_ : 08-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:00 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I chose McMaster because of the small campus and the fact that it's away from home but not too far away.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:23 AM   #11
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

After deciding on going into engineering, I applied to Waterloo, UofT, and McMaster. I never visited any of the campuses but I was always leaning toward Mac. Luckily, Waterloo rejected me and UofT gave me an alternate offer to something I wasn't interested in so the decision was made for me. I'm glad it worked out this way though.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:49 AM   #12
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

It's far enough away that I get to live somewhere else, but close enough to make coming back feasible.

Oh, and I heard the food on campus was really good.

aziz917, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 12:43 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I wanted a school with a reputable science program that wasn't U of T... There weren't a huge number of options
Old 08-02-2009 at 02:46 PM   #14
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

My first impression of Mac was actually terrible. It was a cold, snowy February day, we'd gotten lost so many times on the way to Hamilton, and when we got onto campus I didn't know where anything was and there was no one from my high school going there at all. It doesn't sound like a huge deal now, but to a terrified sixteen year old, every little thing matters.

However, the engineering event at Faculty Club that I was there for was amazing, everyone was so friendly and the campus was so beautiful. I decided to give Mac another chance, since I'd wanted to go there since I'd found out that my favourite teacher from high school graduated from the same program that I'm in now.

I spent the summer falling a little bit more in love with the school, each time I visited. I met some of my best friends at the orientation events and I was so excited for my first year. I can't even begin to describe how glad I am I chose Mac! I can't bear to think of leaving yet...
Old 08-02-2009 at 03:53 PM   #15
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

um. just because i got into health sci. tbh, i wouldn't have come to mac if i didnt get into health sci..
i was going to attend u of t if i didnt get a spot in health sci.