MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster: Why Did You Choose It? feonateresa General Discussion 56 09-05-2009 11:11 AM
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice! lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-11-2009 02:22 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

Why did YOU choose McMaster?

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:23 AM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Why did YOU choose McMaster?
Its ironic how I should be excited to go to uni, Im kinda bored now So I created this thread to ask everyone WHY they chose McMaster over other universities in Canada...or the World! How did McMaster appeal to you? What made you choose this university over the other ones?

Everyone is welcome to post, including 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (and so one) year students

Last edited by kenvin100 : 08-25-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2008 at 10:32 AM   #2
kenvin100
Elite Member

I'll start this one off: Well I had plans on coming to McMaster since September (Yup it was my first choice) The number one reason why I chose McMaster was to experience living on my own, INDEPENDANCE. Of course, you might be asking, why not go to Guelph, Waterloo, or heck rent some apartment in Toronto, (I live in Scarborough btw lol) but I chose Mac because of its diversity.

I came to McMaster for the first time sometime in March for some Math competition or something, and I was at "HeadQuarters" (Whatever the central place is called) and buoy was it crowded full of people. I thought of Toronto, and remembered how diverse of a city I lived in, no over-domination of a certain race.

I also chose Mac due to its high prestige and reputation. I've rarely heard complaints about McMaster University, I've heard more complaints about UofT's and Waterloo's ridiculous engineering programs. (aka The Horror Stories) And considering there is some York campus with a phedophile running around the campus and Ryerson being a true underdog, (mocked by many people, giving the name "Rye-High") I decided to come here to hopefully learn and do well in Engineering.

Of course, like many of you, I am doing this alone. I only know one person that will live with me but have only known him for 2-3 months, so Im hoping I can make many great, better friends and call Hamilton my home away from home. Hopefully, I can succeed in my first year but at the same time, have a lot of fun!

Sorry, I could write and essay on why I chose Mac lol alright now its your turn!

Last edited by kenvin100 : 08-25-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:30 AM   #3
wooshwoosh

Liked: 0 Times

Greatest thing about Mac is simply the fact that the campus is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Of course, that really only truly applies during the summer, but I still love the campus nevertheless!

This will be my 4th year in this university, and I still haven't gotten over the fact that Mac keeps on changing itself, from buildings to buildings, and improving lecture halls and labs left and right!

And still, most profs here are extremely friendly, and some are just pure fun to be around. Yup, I do love this place I am in called McMaster...

kenvin100 says thanks to wooshwoosh for this post.
Old 08-25-2008 at 07:27 PM   #4
kenvin100
Elite Member

Thanks for the response..after 372 views :( guess this is not generating as much people as Lorend's thread..tried making a similar one lol oh well

Old 08-25-2008 at 07:34 PM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
I'll start this one off: Well I had plans on coming to McMaster since September (Yup it was my first choice) The number one reason why I chose McMaster was to experience living on my own, INDEPENDANCE. Of course, you might be asking, why not go to Guelph, Waterloo, or heck rent some apartment in Toronto, (I live in Scarborough btw lol) but I chose Mac because of its diversity.

I came to McMaster for the first time sometime in March for some Math competition or something, and I was at "HeadQuarters" (Whatever the central place is called) and buoy was it crowded full of people. I thought of Toronto, and remembered how diverse of a city I lived in, no over-domination of a certain race.

I also chose Mac due to its high prestige and reputation. I've rarely heard complaints about McMaster University, I've heard more complaints about UofT's and Waterloo's ridiculous engineering programs. (aka The Horror Stories) And considering there is some York campus with a phedophile running around the campus and Ryerson being a true underdog, (mocked by many people, giving the name "Rye-High") I decided to come here to hopefully learn and do well in Engineering.

Of course, like many of you, I am doing this alone. I only know one person that will live with me but have only known him for 2-3 months, so Im hoping I can make many great, better friends and call Hamilton my home away from home. Hopefully, I can succeed in my first year but at the same time, have a lot of fun!

Sorry, I could write and essay on why I chose Mac lol alright now its your turn!
You've pretty much covered everything for me. =p

good program. diverse student body.

also an awesome campus and surrounding area. =]
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:06 PM   #6
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I picked McMaster because it had everything i like about most campuses all rolled into one

- they had a good engineering program, that had a lot of choices for 2nd year.
- it's close to where i live
- the campus is beautiful
- the residences are nice looking, and i like the food plan (i didn't like the queen's and toronto's food plan or residences)
- everything on campus is fairly close together (unlike toronto and western)
- the tuition and residence fees for mac were competitive and even less then a lot of the schools i looked at
- mac has a nice new gym
-everyone i've met at mac has been really friendly and helpful

i think those were most of the deciding factors that lead me to choose mac. And lastly it was the feel..it just felt like the right place.

oh and i have to mention that before visiting the campus, McMaster was around my 3rd choice so it says a lot that after visiting the campus it became my first
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:06 PM   #7
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Mac was the campus I visited the most (I've been 4 times.. last July, March, May and last week) and I thought it was a gorgeous campus. However, the thing that sold it for me was the enthusiasm of the upper years (tour guide and my friends). It made me excited to be a part of it!
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:21 PM   #8
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

oh and i gotta say... the existence of this forum has to be one of the biggest reasons why i chose mac. its been super helpful. most schools dont have an online community like this.
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:22 PM   #9
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I was decided between MAC and Queens for the longest time. It was when I saw students riding bicycles and on rollerblades that I got that community feeling. They probably do it at Queens too though...meh.

I also liked the fact that the buses went straight into MAC and it looked so conveniant to just hop on a bus to go anywhere.

Not very interesting I know.
Old 08-25-2008 at 09:20 PM   #10
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

For my program it didn't really matter which school I went to, all had great programs. I hated the idea of living in Toronto, and for a while, Lakehead, Trent, and Carleton were all higher choices than Mac for me.

I did tours of a billion campuses, and McMaster just felt right. I know that sounds kind of lame, but as soon as I stepped on the campus I knew that it was the right choice for me.

So I love Mac. I love the people, my classes, the campus... just about everything!
Old 08-25-2008 at 09:38 PM   #11
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

there were lots of reasons why mac was my first choice from grade 11 on - it had the best version of the program I wanted, the campus was beautiful and the people are friendly, but what it always comes down to is how you feel when you first go on a campus, thats usually how you can tell if its the right fit for you, thats why ppl always say to visit all the campuses you are interested in, thats how i knew, and 3 years later i still love mac!!!
Old 08-25-2008 at 10:30 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Mac felt right.

When I came to May @ Mac back in the day there was all kinds of wild and crazy stuff going on...what I still remember (and what sold me, I think) was the fact that upper-year reps were running around with cotton candy and giant bubbles.

If 18, 19, 20 and 21 year olds could act like goofballs in the same way thought I thought was awesome I had a feeling Mac would be a good fit for me too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:45 PM   #13
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

I understand that gut feeling thing. For the LONGEST time (up until the beginning of May actually), I had my heart set on UTM. Then, one day I woke up, and my gut was telling me that I belonged at McMaster. I had visited both campuses, so I knew what I was getting myself in to. But it was literally as if my gut was telling me that UTM wasn't the rigth choice for me. So, I considered my gut feeling, talked to some of my best friends who were already at Mac, and next thing you know, I was rejecting UofT's offer and accepting Mac's. It all happened so quick, but to this day I still haven't regretted my decision. I know it's the right one

lux likes this.
Old 08-25-2008 at 10:57 PM   #14
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

I chose Mac because of their great Engineering program I loved how it was a general first year because I didn't know what type of engineering I wanted to get into. I had more time to figure it out. Also, Mac is a prestigious uni but it isn't very competitive like UofT or Waterloo. The atmosphere is a lot friendlier, with profs and students willing to help out. Then, I went to May @Mac and the upper-yr students were just crazy and it was awesome .

My brother did his masters at Mac, and when I visited him, I loved the campus - all the old buildings, the trees, and that forested path behind Hamilton Hall. I *heart* Mac!

kenvin100 says thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:08 PM   #15
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

I went on a March break tour and I just felt like I was home.

I wanted to come to Mac to have a good university experience by living on rez instead on commuting to UTM/Ryerson/York.

Plus I did not want to get myself into all the competition that you here is @ UofPee and WaterPoo.

I hope I made a good choice