MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice! lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-11-2009 02:22 PM
Why did YOU choose McMaster? kenvin100 General Discussion 31 09-25-2008 02:33 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

McMaster: Why Did You Choose It?

Old 08-03-2009 at 12:11 AM   #31
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Well, being a graduate from the University of Toronto schools, our school really pressured us to go to UofT (mostly because our school is funded by UofT). Every day, I passed by UofT on the way to school, and didn’t like the atmosphere at all. In addition, I thought it was time for a change. I’ve been going to school in downtown Toronto for the past 6 years, and I had enough. I wanted to go to a university that was located in a great city, had a great reputation academically, and had a great atmosphere. When I went on tour to McMaster in May, I instantly fell in love. It was perfect for me! Hamilton is an awesome city, I got into a great program, and everyone at McMaster looked happy and friendly. This wasn’t the case at UofT at all. I get teased by a lot of my friends (who decided to go to UofT) for going to McMaster but whatever. I don’t regret my decision at all.

Old 08-03-2009 at 07:17 AM   #32
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

More than half, maybe like 90% of people in this thread, said they were pretty much sold when they visited McMaster (including myself). I thought I was one of the few who felt that way, but apparently the campus (the physical and atmospheric aspects of it) is really amazing.

UofT, York & Ryerson held nothing to Mac. I'm glad I didn't choose York because my year would have been ruined, and Ryerson well... hrrm. UofT, yeah, big reputation and they flaunt that in your face, but I didn't like the atmosphere at all. My parents really wanted me to go to UofT because of it's proximity to home and the good reputation, and because my dad went there. But meh, I went with my instinct and I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-03-2009 at 07:51 AM   #33
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
I get teased by a lot of my friends (who decided to go to UofT) for going to McMaster but whatever. I don’t regret my decision at all.
Friends who go to UofT only tease for the first couple of months. However, once midterms hit everyone I know at UofT (St. George, I don't consider UTM a real campus and no one ever remembers UTSc) absolutely hates it. I have friends who're going into their fourth year at UofT and their averages are destroyed, they don't have the same types of extra curricular activities and they're not as happy as they thought they'd be. UofT is very, very school focused. I'm glad I didn't go to UofT for Life Science and I came to Mac. I feel like Mac strikes a strong balance between academic and social life. Do I haaaaave to graduate?

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 08-03-2009 at 11:53 AM   #34
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

For the greater part of high school I was absolutely dead set on not going to Mac. My brother and one of my sisters had already gone to Mac and I just thought that I would be different. I had been to Mac several times when I was a child and wasn't so enthralled by it.

But then I saw the new multimedia program. It was one of the only schools with a degree in this field, and I would have a lot more options if I didn't like what I was doing. It was close to home and it was familiar, so it all just happened.

Funny thing is, when I was around 5 or 6 and went to the campus for the first time with my brother, he told me that I said I was definitely going to Mac when I grow up.

Afzal likes this.
Old 08-03-2009 at 02:15 PM   #35
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

I'm from the Toronto area as well, with UofT St. George constantly being one of the "feeder" schools.

But actually, I knew I wanted to move away for university, but I wasn't sure on Mac. I REALLY wanted to reach Waterloo because of its lucrative Co-Op program for Poli. Sci, but after reading the course selections, I wasn't impressed (and besides, everyone associates Waterloo as the Engineering/Math school)

Mac sold me
The only thing that would have sold me 249230495024% from the start would have been more starbucks in the area! LOL
Old 08-03-2009 at 05:24 PM   #36
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
I came to MAC for the age-old story: far enough from home to stay on rez and close enough to be home...
Also one of my reasons, so I could go to my relative's from Toronto on the weekends and fill up on authentic Chinese food.
Old 08-03-2009 at 09:02 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
They look happy with both their education and their school
Not unless you are an ARTS student who opens up SOLAR for course registration and finds out that half of the classes he wanted are no longer offered and the other half are full because they let go a couple of instructors who used to teach the other Cores(i.e: there is only one core.)

Then they lay off your favourite prof: Marc Oullette and you hear from your other favorite prof(Todd Alway) that he might not be around too much either!

You then look through the budget document and realize your research spending has been cut and has gone up for science-y faculties(Who were already twice our size as far as budget allocation went) :(

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-03-2009 at 11:15 PM   #38
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Alway isn't going to be around much? That's... sigh. McMaster has really disappointed me in that respect. I'm not happy about it, especially in terms of course selection availability.

But everything else is great about Mac and I'm thankful.
Old 08-04-2009 at 12:58 PM   #39
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

I chose it because it's website is really easy to navigate.

No joke.

One day, I was like 'Hey, I want to go to University next year', so I started browsing websites and it's the only one that I could find my way around easily. So, I browse a few websites, say 'This one is the best', and that turned into an application and an acceptance on both sides. Funny thing is that a lot of people seem to have difficulty with their website.

Oh, and because I think the colours are nice and the campus is pretty.

And location. Far enough away that I have to move, but close enough that I can come home pretty much whenever I want. But that actually didn't factor in at all- it's just a nice perk.

But there's no real reason or any story. I've only been dreaming about it for a year now, not since I was a baby, and not because it has some stupendous program or anything.

niteskie likes this.
Old 08-04-2009 at 01:11 PM   #40
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Honestly? Because my parents and I didn't have the money for a car to drive or to stay on residence somewhere away from Hamilton.

But I'm so glad I chose Mac. I look at other schools and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:17 AM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

My experience was pretty much what others have mentioned; I came to campus in May and it felt like home, and it also wasn't too far away if I needed to go back home (Western was 3 hours and Queens was 5).

The thing that really sold me...was (I'm pretty sure it was anyways...I can't remember the suit colour) the Sci-Cos on Welcome Day. They were blowing enormous (like 1 ft in diameter) bubbles and were giving away cotton candy. Yes, I'm that easily amused.

Seriously though, they made it seem like Mac was a fun place to be, and there was lots of ways to get involved (I saw the Maroons for the first time that day too). And it wasn't a ginormous clique -- all kinds of people were talking and getting along and they didn't look like carbon copies of each other -- there was a lot of individuality that I didn't see at other schools.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-05-2009 at 11:22 AM   #42
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

My family moved from Dubai to hamilton coz someof our freidns lived here, so I went to a few grades in highschool in hamilton.
I applied to Art, Engineering and business and got in to all of them, but chose business coz I liked Degroote when I saw it, and all the cute guys in suits..
I asked my parents to buy a house close to mac so that way I didn't have to drive far or whatever. I think I made a good decision, I love living at home, clsoe to school, and having things that students on rez dont have.. cars, big beds.. not having to spend money on food/alcohol..etc
Old 08-05-2009 at 02:14 PM   #43
pocalyuko

Liked: 9 Times

In grade 11 i was headstrong on being an engineer and since Mac has one of the best eng. programs it was almost a no brainer. However then i changed my mind and decided to go to the commerce route in hopes of becoming a CA.
I applied to UTM, UofT Rotman, and Mac all for commerce. I got accepted everywhere, and the dwelling problem was I believe my parents really wanted me to go to UTM so i could save more and live @ home under their supervision Long story short the only campus outside of UTM I have been to is Mac, ever since grade 11, the campus has hit home with me and I kinda felt like I was being called to attend there. Like someone posted earlier, Mac seems like it strikes a balance between academics and social life almost perfectly. Thats why i chose Mac and am so excited for september
Old 08-05-2009 at 03:43 PM   #44
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

For me it was between UofT and Mac. As much as I love Toronto, UofT doesn't really have a campus that's just the university. I visited the Mac campus, I think, in November and loved it! I waited to get the acceptance letter and as soon as I got it, I accepted. Plus commuting to Mac is way easier than commuting to Toronto.
Old 09-04-2009 at 02:47 PM   #45
luckyducky88

Liked: 0 Times

Although I'm applying to a number of different medical schools this admissions cycle, I'm set on going to Mac medicine for many of the same reasons listed here. I fell in love with the campus the first time I visited, and the students there seem more friendly and outgoing (a much more tight-knit community compared to Ryerson/U of T).