MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If u had to choose... LBJ.MVP Academics 38 07-11-2009 03:28 PM
how to choose nadia1 Academics 9 07-03-2009 01:10 PM
Should i choose Mcmaster? please give me some advice! lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-11-2009 02:22 PM
Why did YOU choose McMaster? kenvin100 General Discussion 31 09-25-2008 02:33 PM
How to Choose a Residence lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 9 05-29-2008 03:54 PM

McMaster: Why Did You Choose It?

Old 09-04-2009 at 04:19 PM   #46
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just curious, 'cause I don't know too many people that have been to more than one school =] . Where did you go for undergrad? And was it really that different from Mac's atmosphere?
Old 09-04-2009 at 05:51 PM   #47
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

I was a little torn between Waterloo and U of T at first because that's where 95% of the people I knew were going including my friend of 14 years... but I couldn't BEAR to spend another 4 years at home (The 4 months I spend in summer is too much for me) and Waterloo's Science program wasn't exactly the best. I saw the campus and it was gorgeous, what I loved was the waterfall area in MDCL. So pretty. The smaller community was also better. Also UofT would DESTROY my mark for med school...Mac gave me a better chance.

Another thing, I went to William Lyon MacKenzie C.I., we called it Mac. McMaster is also Mac Yayyyyyyyyyyy
Old 09-04-2009 at 06:20 PM   #48
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

I decided not to go to York because of their strike, so I chose McMaster.....
Old 09-04-2009 at 06:26 PM   #49
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
I find that very odd that people decided not to go to York because of the strike. But the fact is that because they already had a strike, they won't have another strike attempt for many years (not sure when the new contract ends). But other universities who haven't had a strike yet means that the contracts are close to ending.
Old 09-04-2009 at 06:27 PM   #50
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
Lol ah the irony
Old 09-04-2009 at 07:27 PM   #51
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Until December of 2008, I believed I wanted to be a paediatric neurosurgeon. A part of me still does. However, I went into a bit of a panic spiral. I ended up applying to both Science and Business programs for complex reasons.
I visited Waterloo's campus, UTM, Wilfred Laurier (loved the atmosphere, not the setting) and McMaster. I decided against UofT because I applied to Life Sciences there and I heard it was GPA suicide and that the students weren't too happy. I didn't have enough meat for a supplementary application to Rotman or Schulich so neither would have worked out.

When my mum and I went to McMaster, we immediately got lost. Neither of us is great with directions so we attempted to orient ourselves with the map. A campus patrol officer walked up and directed us to where we needed to be. He did that out of the blue and with genuine sincerity and a desire to help. We loafed around the university for a day on an unofficial tour (I told my mum that if we got busted I'd just pretend to be a student here). I didn't like all the halls but walking up to that moss covered tower seemed to make everything click. The student centre spiced up the deal but Titles sealed it.

I love bookstores and...this felt like one. It was comfortable..and...pl easant but not to fear; I now know that their electricity is powered by blood from the student body. It...really verified that this was an authentic university that took pride in it's graduates and demonstrated school spirit and that being...crazy and loud and wacky and...yourself weren't bad things here.

That and the fact that every person here drips sunshine and would probably erupt in rainbows and cookies if poked with a pin....didn't hurt.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-04-2009 at 07:31 PM   #52
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I heard the school had really good food on campus.

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-04-2009 at 07:50 PM   #53
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I also chose it because I knew Rita Cossa would email me around this date telling me that she wasn't teaching Comm 1E03 and that if I told Greg I could watch him die a little bit inside and steal his hat.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-04-2009 at 09:15 PM   #54
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I was accepted to UofT last year but I couldn't get the required grades, I decided to retake my A Levels (which was the best decision I ever took despite all people discouraging me to do so, it was something related to personal satisfaction)

This year I applied only to UofT and Mac (UT being the main aim) but only Mac offered me a conditional admission.
Got amazing grades (UofT or any UK university would give scholarship on these ) and I am more than happy to be a part of Mac right now. There's still this thought to transfer to UT next year but chances are pretty less now.
Mac gives its students a sense of belonging, even for people like me who haven't visited the campus yet. This forum is a great place to know people, future classmates and friends.

Heck! I only made one friend in UT chat room last year, and this year I have a forum full of people I (think) know
Plus, the teachers and faculty members are friendly and very helpful (I've emailed a lot and received reply to each and every email in a day or less!)

Also, from what I've read and seen on the internet Mac is more close to nature than UT St.George, which is great because right now I can't imagine living in a downtown campus.

The only thing I am concerned about is that people might be kinda intimidated by my appearance, because I mostly aim to look scary :p

Just 41 hours till I see Mac

Last edited by Afzal : 09-04-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2009 at 10:02 PM   #55
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
That and the fact that every person here drips sunshine and would probably erupt in rainbows and cookies if poked with a pin....didn't hurt.
I definately do NOT drip sunshine or erupt in rainbows and/or cookies.

I tend to erupt in some sort of profanity and drip sarcasm.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-04-2009 at 10:03 PM   #56
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I also chose it because I knew Rita Cossa would email me around this date telling me that she wasn't teaching Comm 1E03 and that if I told Greg I could watch him die a little bit inside and steal his hat.
Cossa emailed you? Can you PM it to me?
Old 09-05-2009 at 11:11 AM   #57
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

I chose McMaster because I live in Hamilton and because of McMaster's good reputation.