MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SECRETS of McMaster!!!! JeetDevDesai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 296 09-27-2015 12:30 PM
Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) - Interview RJK1990 Volunteering Opportunities 1 12-17-2013 10:57 PM
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
Upcoming Concert - Arkells, San Sebastian, Dirty Nil Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-26-2011 11:44 PM
Life secrets thread Mr. Pink General Discussion 8 02-07-2010 04:24 PM

McMaster's dirty secrets

Members have rated post #402011 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-26-2014 at 10:28 PM   #16
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

didnt apply. avg wasnt high nuff. i speak in the name of justice and fairness and wish to erase the misconception that people have in thinking health sci is hard
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:39 PM   #17
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

There have been three murders on campus (1973, 1983 and 1994).

I'm sure that's not exactly shocking for a campus, but McMaster definitely doesn't make it easy to find information on any of them.
Old 05-27-2014 at 12:14 AM   #18
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
They're redoing the registration process for 2015 though (MOSAIC), so the SOLAR/MUGSI nightmare days will soon be a thing of the past. unfortunate for those of us who had to live through it...
I will bet you $1000 that it will be delay. To be fair, I will give you a better odds since track record has proven that McMaster is poorly prepared when transitioning to a new system.

Remember MUSS to Gmail?

Wasn't it suppose to be Reading Week 2011?

No maybe its June 2011 instead.

Nah, lets make it December 2011.

This doesn't even includes the countless delay before officially announcing the switch over to Gmail.
Old 05-27-2014 at 12:56 AM   #19
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudel42 View Post
I will bet you $1000 that it will be delay. To be fair, I will give you a better odds since track record has proven that McMaster is poorly prepared when transitioning to a new system.

Remember MUSS to Gmail?

Wasn't it suppose to be Reading Week 2011?

No maybe its June 2011 instead.

Nah, lets make it December 2011.

This doesn't even includes the countless delay before officially announcing the switch over to Gmail.

the issue with solar and mugsi though is that the entire university system, not just the course registration, uses that system framework. it's not as simple as just changing the emails over. it would take down many of the university's systems so it's a huge change. the only thing affected by the muss --> gmail change were student email addresses. profs are still using the muss system iirc.

the point is that at least it's going to be improved at all rather than just being ignored.
Old 05-27-2014 at 03:37 AM   #20
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
the issue with solar and mugsi though is that the entire university system, not just the course registration, uses that system framework. it's not as simple as just changing the emails over. it would take down many of the university's systems so it's a huge change. the only thing affected by the muss --> gmail change were student email addresses. profs are still using the muss system iirc.

the point is that at least it's going to be improved at all rather than just being ignored.
That's exactly my point. A simple change over from MUSS to Gmail had numerous delays. SOLAR/MUGSI is such a complex and integrated system that there will severe delay. It won't be 2015. Original poster would go through his 4 years here and still be using SOLAR.
Old 05-27-2014 at 08:37 AM   #21
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Re:Gmail they didn't really give themselves much time to transition where as the SOLAR/MUGSI replacement has been in the works now for years. Plus if I recall, part of the problem with Gmail had something to do with coordinating with them, so hopefully that isn't a problem this time. I don't know if Huzaifa still hangs around these forums ever, but he'd be the one to ask about these things usually.
Old 05-27-2014 at 08:53 AM   #22
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
There have been three murders on campus (1973, 1983 and 1994).

I'm sure that's not exactly shocking for a campus, but McMaster definitely doesn't make it easy to find information on any of them.
The 1994 murder is not exactly hidden from view, although the University doesn't exactly publicize it. The Heimbecker cup (an annual hockey game between kin students and profs) is named after the victim and at least when I was there (and I assume still) profs that knew her would make sure we knew what the cup was raising money for and who it was in memory of.
Old 05-27-2014 at 10:05 AM   #23
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Yeah, you're right. None of them are exactly hidden from view since they're all public record, and kin students especially know about Joan Heimbecker. When I hear "dirty secrets" my mind automatically goes to sex and murder.
Old 05-27-2014 at 03:31 PM   #24
samd

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudel42 View Post
McMaster has one of the most outdated course registration system. There is no official queues in place, its just madness. The system can't handle the amount of users flooding in every time course registration starts. You will be spending hours banging your head on the table. This picture will be very familiar to you if you come here.

You going to tell the OP that maybe if your personality is in sync, you will start enjoying the course registration process?
Well i think the course reg problem only applies to certain faculties, programs or classes. I was in eng and this was NEVER a problem for me or any of my friends or anyone in my program, so I really can't speak to it. Solar certainly wasn't state of the art, but I never had any problem selecting my courses, and don't know anyone who did. But this could fill it's own thread.

What OP should realize, is that if you ask the internet for "dirty secrets" you're going to get a bunch of people sharing anecdotes about some annoying thing that happened to them, which imo isn't all that relevant to an incoming student.

This is why OP should ask more specific questions like: "I'm an introvert, will it be hard to make friends?" or "I'm a person of colour, what kind of discrimination might I face on campus?" or "Could someone in ______ program tell me about the quality of profs?"
(just examples)

These are questions that will actually yield meaningful answers for the OP. Simply listening to people vent about non-specific problems, IMO, won't help OP make the right decision, it just muddies the waters.
Old 05-28-2014 at 12:18 AM   #25
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Hi OP,

I'm actually going to answer your question!

Hmmmm....I have a few dirty little secrets about McMaster...

1) At night, if you hang near the forestry that surrounds the residences, you will almost ALWAYS see dear! It's actually very majestic and beautiful.

2) If you're a super involved, community-engaged, I-love-extra-curriculars- type of person, do HORIZONS! And Mac Serve! I found that I made the best of meaningful connections over events/trips that were like hours long, 2-3 days long, and 1 month long (on a trip I went to with McMaster students) rather than going to a 1 hour extra-curricular every week for 12 weeks - you just don't really make friends that way...

3) MDCL is a great late night studying place if you can get in past 10pm!!
Old 05-28-2014 at 08:58 AM   #26
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Plenty of positive points about McMaster can be found. What about the dirty negative secrets that the University is scare to let the prospective students know? Please list your top 5 "Things students should be warn before accepting McMaster's offer".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmacfatpack View Post
Hi OP,

I'm actually going to answer your question!

Hmmmm....I have a few dirty little secrets about McMaster...

1) At night, if you hang near the forestry that surrounds the residences, you will almost ALWAYS see dear! It's actually very majestic and beautiful.

2) If you're a super involved, community-engaged, I-love-extra-curriculars- type of person, do HORIZONS! And Mac Serve! I found that I made the best of meaningful connections over events/trips that were like hours long, 2-3 days long, and 1 month long (on a trip I went to with McMaster students) rather than going to a 1 hour extra-curricular every week for 12 weeks - you just don't really make friends that way...

3) MDCL is a great late night studying place if you can get in past 10pm!!
You claim that you are going to ACTUALLY answer the OP's question... Did you even read their question??? You are giving positive tips about the school when the OP clearly stated they wanted negative information... If those nice tips are your idea of "dirty" I would hate to hear your rendition of dirty talking to your significant other
Old 05-28-2014 at 01:08 PM   #27
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

>live in a first world country
>go to a university with a lot of amenities
>enjoy a decent education and reasonable tuition
>be able to participate in OSAP
>complain about petty items
why

2Dream, jim1, starfish like this.