MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal Plan Du92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 07-05-2011 10:11 PM
mac meal plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-25-2010 01:20 PM
Meal Plan vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-07-2010 09:27 PM
Meal plan? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-25-2010 01:57 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM

Meal plan - benefits??

Old 09-10-2011 at 11:16 AM   #1
mflasd07

Liked: 0 Times

Meal plan - benefits??
What are the benefits for getting a meal plan? Are there any discounts on foods purchased on campus? I heard that there is, but is there a detailed list for that???? I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to get a meal plan in my second year (since i don't think i'll have time to cook)
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:22 AM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey if you dont mind id also like to add on a question to your post: how exactly do you get a meal plan for 2nd+ years. i have some money left on my freedom form first year which im useing but it will run out soon. ... i know there is some application form u have to fill out but if i go to my meal plan account it has an option to fill it up useing credit online. so which is it?

Last edited by Chevalier : 09-10-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:32 AM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

The benefit of having a meal card is basically tax free food purchases on campus. I don't know anything else other than that.

If you want to get a meal card I think you should go to the commons building and find the MACEXPRESS office. I think this is the form you're looking for: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea...offcampus.html
Old 09-10-2011 at 12:38 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

edit to what the previous poster said... its not comletely tax free the freedom gives 5% off and the other one gives 13% but that one is a rip cus if u dont use it in time u loose it all
Old 09-10-2011 at 12:47 PM   #5
princefan

I got a meal plan in my 2nd year and it was definitely worth it imho. You save 5% tax as already mentioned, plus it's really convenient if you don't have cash on hand. I usually put $200 on my card at a time (you have to go to the Commons building to do this) and would just refill it if I ran out. I ended up using about ~$600 throughout the year.
Old 09-10-2011 at 01:26 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefan View Post
I got a meal plan in my 2nd year and it was definitely worth it imho. You save 5% tax as already mentioned, plus it's really convenient if you don't have cash on hand. I usually put $200 on my card at a time (you have to go to the Commons building to do this) and would just refill it if I ran out. I ended up using about ~$600 throughout the year.
You can fill it online if you have a credit card. http://mealcard.mcmaster.ca/
Old 09-10-2011 at 05:34 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefan View Post
hey just wondering but how often did u use ur meal card, did u use it to buy lunch everyday or only sometimes?
Old 09-10-2011 at 05:43 PM   #8
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

This is all hearsay, but apparently for first years, they can put money on the basic/flex accounts, where the flex accounts deduct 13% tax. For 2+ years, they can only put money on the freedom account, which takes off only 5% tax. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-10-2011 at 06:24 PM   #9
starlover

I've used a meal plan for second and third year and i just got one again for my fourth year. It is definitely a good idea if you tend to eat on campus. Saves you 5 percent and is convenient as you just need to use your ID card to swipe when you pay. You go to the commons building and fil out a form to add money to your offcampus meal plan
Old 09-11-2011 at 06:57 AM   #10
mflasd07

Thanks guys for all of your replies ~!!~!~!~!~ I just have one more question. I got a $50 fixed charge on my meal plan since I am living in rez. Does that fee apply if you don't live in rez?
Old 09-11-2011 at 01:02 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
This is all hearsay, but apparently for first years, they can put money on the basic/flex accounts, where the flex accounts deduct 13% tax. For 2+ years, they can only put money on the freedom account, which takes off only 5% tax. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If you live on Residence you have all three accounts (Basic, Flex, and Freedom). I believe the money is automatically placed in Freedom but you can transfer it/some to Flex to save that extra 8% (but you can't use it off-campus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflasd07 View Post
Thanks guys for all of your replies ~!!~!~!~!~ I just have one more question. I got a $50 fixed charge on my meal plan since I am living in rez. Does that fee apply if you don't live in rez?
I don't believe there are fees for off-campus students.