MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Embedded Systems DarthFuzzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-20-2011 01:00 AM
Software and Embedded 2nd Year kanishka Academics 0 08-16-2010 07:22 AM
GPA for software-embedded? nikJ Academics 7 10-20-2009 03:51 PM
Control Systems ash0000 Academics 3 05-01-2009 07:50 AM
Software Embedded versus Game Design? Ownaginatios Academics 31 03-20-2009 12:43 PM

MECHTRON 3TA4 - Embedded Systems Design I

Meet your new best friend - ATMega324P
Published by Ownaginatios
08-04-2011
Published by
Trolling ain't easy

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 70%

Mechatronics 3TA4 is part one of two embedded systems classes taken by mechatronics and software engineering + embedded systems students in third year. All other five year streams of mechatronics take this course in fourth year.

The course begins with somewhat of a 'business' take on things by explaining the balance between technology and market window. Basically, when you're building a product, you can either focus on getting it out the door as quickly as possible when nothing else like it exists, or focus on making it better. If you wait too long, you can miss the market window and end up releasing your product when the market is already saturated with similar and possibly cheaper products (take the BlackBerry PlayBook for example). You learn really basic formulas for predicting the best time to go into production to hit store shelves as well as some linear trend formulas for the expected number of units you'll sell if you wait until time X when improving yours over competitors by a factor of Y.

Along with that, you learn about evaluating the value of your product. The value of a product is divided into non-recurring engineering costs (what you paid to have the product designed) and the cost of materials + manufacturing. Your non-recurring engineering costs are a one-time fee and are usually very high (easily over 100 grand). This is your research and development cost. You spread this cost over the number of units you sell. As you sell more units, the cost goes down until it eventually disappears (assuming your product is that successful). The cost for manufacturing + materials stays relatively constant unless you start selling vastly greater numbers.

Following all the business crap, you actually start learning the stuff that really matters in the course - embedded systems. This starts off with converting programs in single purpose processors by separating them into a finite machine (the control logic) and a datapath (the physical circuit... kind of). Basically, the control logic goes through steps and at each step sends a 'control signal' to the datapath to do something (i.e. store something to a register, put a register to output. etc). It's a little difficult to grasp at first, but it's actually not too bad.

Following that, you go into learning about micro-controllers, specifically the ATMega324P. Everything about this micro-controller is located in a massive 100+ page PDF. Unfortunately, the book and the professor's slides tell you how to program this thing using the 'CodeVision' compiler, but during the labs - you'll be using GCC. It's not difficult to translate over, but it's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes.

In your first lab, you will learn how to do very basic things like flash the output LEDs and change between 'counters' in the micro-controller. Basically just learning how to use the 'flag' registers to control different parts of the micro-controller hardware.

Following that, you move onto interfacing the micro-controller with different chips through the I2C standard interface bus. You read/write flash memory and control an RTC (real-time clock).

Gradually you move onto controlling other pieces of hardware (H-bridges for controlling stepper motors, temperature sensors. etc).

The course becomes harder with time, eventually moving into high-pass/low-pass filters, OP-amps and analog to digital converters (modems). This stuff is kind of separate from the labs.

Towards the end of the course, the course becomes heavily focused on operational amplifiers. You learn basically every type of amplifier circuit there is to know and the mathematics behind them.

------------------------------------

Anyway, the course breakdown is like this:

5% - In class/tutorial quizzes (5 x 2% each)
30% - Labs
20% - Midterm
45% - Final

OR it is this:

5% - In class/tutorial quizzes (5 x 2% each)
0% - Labs
30% - Midterm
65% - Final

The reason for the labs being potentially worth 0% is because there are severe time restrictions on how long you have to get everything done. You can know everything about the course, but still get stuck for hours on a stupid non-trivial bug. The micro-controller isn't exactly capable of reporting errors/warnings.

The professor for this course is Mark Lawford. He's an okay guy... looks incredibly tired 99% of the time when you see him. He knows his stuff, and if you can get a hold of him, he's pretty helpful.

Labs and tutorials were generally alright. If you pay attention in class (I didn't) quizzes shouldn't be a problem, and if you start early and actually commit effort to the labs - most of them should turn out fine.

Overall, I would say this wasn't really an easy course. The midterm included an FSM/Datapath question that was next to impossible to complete within the given time for the test, and was worth about 20% of it. The exam was absolutely ridiculous. One question had a massive OP-amp transfer function and a diagram, and asked for the steps to derive it... no clue where to start as it didn't look anything like the op-amps circuits we knew. It also had a lot of stuff on analog/digital processing that is simply a void in my memory - I literally don't remember learning it :p. Also, all evaluations (quizzes, tests, exams) are open book.

Regardless of all that, nobody failed and pretty much everyone got an okay grade (like ~7 to 9). I got a 9 because I really didn't get a lot of the OP-amp stuff. This may be due to the fact that I never took 3N03 (a course software engineering and embedded systems students take in second year) due to switching late out of game design.

This course's continuation, MECH TRON 3TB4, focuses more on the digital component and in my opinion is a lot more practical for software engineering and mechatronics students than the hardcore electrical engineering stuff in 3TA4.

So basically, just survive this course and it's all smooth sailing from there .

kanishka says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

AnguishedEnd likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for MECHTRON 3TA4 - Embedded Systems Design I!

Old 08-08-2011 at 07:57 PM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
Very nice review! Described the entire course perfectly. Although Lawford did look tired all the time he does know his stuff inside and out and is a great professor in comparison to some of the others I've had.

If your in Mechatronics, this course and the follow-up course MTRON 3TB4 will probably be two of the best courses you will take in third year. I know it was for me and I kind of wish we had this course in second year. Anyways, the labs are great although you will have to devote a lot of time on them and sometimes the deadlines were just insane. (My favorite was using the microcontroller to control a stepper motor which shuts on/off when a temperature reading was above below a preset temp.

Overall a very fun course and I learned A LOT of cool stuff!

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:49 PM   #3
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times
Is purchasing the Vahid textbook required for this course? For preparing for the exam and midterm, is the studying done from the Vahid txt?
Old 10-13-2011 at 05:22 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
My personal opinion would be to pass on the Vahid textbook. I found lecture notes where enough and I think he even condensed the Vahid book in his lecture notes so there was no real reason to read it...

Old 04-29-2014 at 05:50 PM   #5
jmzhang18

Liked: 0 Times
how about Barnett textbook? is it useful?
Old 10-24-2014 at 12:22 AM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times
Lawford changed the course so now instead of nice simple AVRs or PICs, tron students have to lean the embedded systems using a bloody Cortex-M4 processor, written in C with huge layer of obstruction. The development board has more components than my laptop.

Anyone who knows how Tron is, knows that program only covers (not all, only the most relevant) topics from 2nd year of Computer Engineering, and that between first year and third year there's virtually no programming education going on at all.

So essentially they are trying to teach students with second year computer engineering education, to use systems used in top-software schools that only specialize in software. Nothing good or useful comes out of it because noone knows whatever the hell this is and how to use it.

It's a giant "fuck you" to everyone who joined the program after 2011.

Lawford doesn't teach either, because he now needs to cramp every single not covered topic from 2nd year electrical engineering into 1 class, so he completely omits any software part of our "education". Because of that, in the labs you have to program complex M4 based board using knowledge you got in 1st year. Oh, and it's a different language too.

You know, seeing how Lawford is the brains behind Mechatronics Engineering at McMaster, and seeing how backwards everything in Mechatronics is. Lawford is the person to blame for every single problem the program has, and the fact that he is also "teaching" us, makes me think he's just mocking us.

Lawford is mocking you, remember that, it's a big joke.

Avoid the course, or better yet the whole Mechatronics Program at McMaster.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search