MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM
Social Media in Niagara Falls lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-04-2010 05:41 AM
Communication Studies and Multi-Media... __lexington First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-07-2008 10:07 PM

Media 1B03

Media 1B03
The Digital Image
Published by kokosas
06-15-2008
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 93%
Media 1B03

This class is a great course for anyone, you don't have to be in Media to take it. As someone interested in photography it was really good to learn a few new photoshop tricks.

The proff, Dr. Liss Platt (see her review by Chad here) is great. She's energetic, fun and she knows her stuff. Very easy to get along with and always willing to have you into her office.

The class focused on learning Photoshop for it's various uses. You start with something simple like a digital collage and move on to photo manipulation and finally website design of a certain art movement or artist. Also, throughout the class you learn about different art movements (like the Dada movement) and are sometimes required to re-create their work.

Overall, a great elective or required course, I highly suggest it if you like to play with photoshop or photography. There is also a prior course that focuses on HTML but I did not take it.

The course consisted of several small assignments, tutorials were a must and there was a written final as well as the creation of a website using Photoshop and Image Ready.

marauderlove says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Media 1B03!

Old 06-15-2008 at 10:51 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
I really enjoyed this course as well.

I had professor Evan Tapper for this course, and I think it was his personality and love for graphics and art that made the course as much fun as it was. Also a professor at OCAD, Evan has made some really amazing artwork and wants you to experiment and have fun with design... learning your own style.

What makes this course unique and interesting is that you are given assignments and left to use the tools you learn (Photoshop, etc) to design something completely out of your own imagination, and then display the artwork infront of the entire class to get feedback. Its a lot of fun seeing other student's work and being able to help give suggestions as well as see the level of experience that varies in the class.
Old 06-21-2008 at 11:31 AM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times
hey, do you have to be good at drawing or art for this class? I'm good with photoshop and web stuff, but I suck at drawing.
Old 06-21-2008 at 01:13 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

No, you do not.

Old 06-21-2008 at 01:20 PM   #5
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
Could someone post up a review of Mmedia 1A03?
Old 06-21-2008 at 04:19 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
I didn't take it, I'm sorry, maybe Chad can help out in that department?

Old 06-22-2008 at 09:07 AM   #7
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
Are there any essays to write for this course?

What's the workload like for this course? I know you work with photoshop, but how time consuming is it? Do you spend more than 4 hours manipulating photos?

Anyone ever had Professor Mactavish? How does he teach (through lectures? videos? powerpoint? overhead? etc.)? Is he a 'fair' marker? Are his tests 'fair'?
Old 06-22-2008 at 10:31 AM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
There's no essays in this course And that's about all I know other than the photoshopness and such.
I'm gonna be taking it with Professor Mactavish too!
Old 06-22-2008 at 04:58 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Lots of questions Sync!

No essays. Workload is fair - a few projects with enough time to complete them. And it is as time consuming as you dedicate to it, so that answer varies. If you're good at photoshop you can make something amazing in 30 minutes, and if you're a beginner that same thing could take you an hour or more. I know I spent hours on a certain project and ended up with a lower mark to someone that spent less time but ended up with something that looked cooler.. so its all up for interpretation.

Mactavish is a great prof, I think you'll like him. All multimedia profs use powerpoint or something similar and also use Moodle (an online system that organizes the course) so it is easy to stay on track.
Old 07-02-2008 at 01:02 PM   #10
missmatch

Liked: 0 Times
So what is the difference between 1A03 and 1b03? If i wanted to dwell more on Photoshop stuff, 1b03 would be better?
Old 07-02-2008 at 01:07 PM   #11
Ruggedman

I have never used photoshop or any other media-tool such as the ones mentioned before, however this course sounds really interesting and i want to take it.

With such a limited background knowledge on tools such as photoshop, should i not be taking this course or will i be fine regardless?

Starkad says thanks to Ruggedman for this post.
Old 07-02-2008 at 01:57 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmatch View Post
So what is the difference between 1A03 and 1b03? If i wanted to dwell more on Photoshop stuff, 1b03 would be better?
1A03 was HTML, 1B03 is photoshop, so B03 would be better for you.

Ruggedman,
Having a limited background in these areas will not be the end of you. If you have experience it will make things easier on you but the tutorials are designed to take you through the program step by step. That's not to say you will learn everything about photoshop from this one class but it will teach you the basics. You can also look up Photoshop online tutorials to learn more for yourself.

Last edited by kokosas : 07-02-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:32 PM   #13
missmatch

Okay one more question - do you need to have your own camera if you take this course or will the school let you borrow one?
Old 07-03-2008 at 07:50 AM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

a camera isn't as much of an issue as having photoshop. You can use a digital point and shoot, you don't need an SLR in order to do well in the course. If you don't have a point and shoot I'm sure you can borrow one from someone on your floor.

As for photoshop, it helps to have it on your computer although you don't HAVE to, there are computer labs in TSH that have photoshop and what not on them where you can do your stuff. It's just a little bit easier when you have all you need on your own computer, but again, you can do it without a camera or your own copy of photoshop

Old 07-03-2008 at 11:42 AM   #15
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
There's no essays in this course And that's about all I know other than the photoshopness and such.
I'm gonna be taking it with Professor Mactavish too!
Did you get into this course?

Are there actually any first year students who are registered to this course?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search