MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Memorization Courses

Old 11-10-2010 at 11:59 PM   #1
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Memorization Courses
While trying to study for cell biology, I keep hating it more and more because it is pure memorization. Do any of you have any courses where it's pretty much memorizing a ton of stuff? Do you think these types of courses are useful at all? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Discuss.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:01 AM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

love em go bio!
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:10 AM   #3
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

HATE THEM, make me question the field i got into sometimes.

no one is going to fcking pay you to memorize something and act like a parrot.....not even wendy's
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:28 AM   #4
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I wish I had courses like that. Would make my life so much easier.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:36 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I don't mind them, it's nice to be able to not pay attention in class, cram for one night and pull a 10-12 in a course yo wont remember at all in 2 weeks... probably sucks for people who don't memorize well though...
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:40 AM   #6
Buszaj

Haha, so true for the cramming part. I guess its just during said cramming the facts seam so useless...grrr. I always feel that I will never ever have a practical use for them.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:48 AM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

My friend has similiar complaints about her Linguistics course: she has trouble seeing how it is relevant to anything, and the things discussed in class are pure memorization because it's nothing you can"understand", i.e you can't really be asked an Application question in Linguistics.

I love Bio, but memorization was part of why I did poorly in the subject.
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:50 AM   #8
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
My friend has similiar complaints about her Linguistics course: she has trouble seeing how it is relevant to anything, and the things discussed in class are pure memorization because it's nothing you can"understand", i.e you can't really be asked an Application question in Linguistics.

Isn't all of bio memorization?
Old 11-11-2010 at 12:53 AM   #9
Buszaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Depends on the type. In most courses there are a few general concepts. In others, they deal with evolution and animal behaviours, which are way more "understandable" instead of memorization.
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:06 AM   #10
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
Depends on the type. In most courses there are a few general concepts. In others, they deal with evolution and animal behaviours, which are way more "understandable" instead of memorization.
HM my bad. My bio knowledge capped off at grade 12.
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:08 AM   #11
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
it's a lot easier to memorize bio than understand it, and the handful of ppl who TRULY understand it have more degree's than you can count
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:12 AM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Should've went into engineering :( Sorry
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:19 AM   #13
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Should've went into engineering :( Sorry
honestly i should have, not really passionate about what i'll end up doing in science, and enjoy problem solving and critical thinking. i'll probably get my engineering degree as soon as im finished with this retarded science one........
Old 11-11-2010 at 01:28 AM   #14
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post

What Ling class? If it's 1A03 or 1AA3, they're intro classes, meant to be a foundation for higher level classes. It's boring, and it's a lot of memory work, but if she takes a course like Ling 3C03 (Child Language Acquisition), it will be nothing but application based on what she's now memorizing.
Old 11-11-2010 at 06:19 AM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
What Ling class? If it's 1A03 or 1AA3, they're intro classes, meant to be a foundation for higher level classes. It's boring, and it's a lot of memory work, but if she takes a course like Ling 3C03 (Child Language Acquisition), it will be nothing but application based on what she's now memorizing.

Yeah, its one of the first year courses. I kind of figured it was probably building blocks for upper year courses. Still, going back to the memorization aspect of it, its killing her. I think part of her frustration lies in the fact that she had different expectations of the course, and wasn't planning to look into Linguistics seriously, just took the course out of interest/someone told her it was easy (LOL)