MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MI Chat doug General Discussion 44 11-04-2010 09:20 AM
MacInsiders Community Chat Peaks At 2,700 Students - New server coming Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 11-03-2010 08:51 PM
Introducing MacInsiders Community Chat Chad MacInsiders Announcements 6 11-01-2010 06:02 PM
Facebook Chat Launches Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-30-2008 09:51 PM
Facebook chat not too far away! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2008 10:31 PM

MI Chat Back Up

While we begin prepping our new dedicated server we'll be moving MacInsiders to, the chatroom has been relocated to a temporary server and is once again available. Unfortunately since it is on another server and not hooked into the MI server, some things are temporary not working:
  • auto-login has been disabled, and you'll need to click a button to sign into the chat initially
  • it won't remember which font colour you pick, so you'll have to click the font colour button and put in the tags each time you want to change your font colour
  • You must have a MacInsiders account and be logged in. Guest mode is turned off for now.
These will return back to normal once we switch MacInsiders completely over to our new dedicated server

Enjoy!

REPLEKIA/., SilentWalker, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Chad for this post.

xxsumz likes this.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:23 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
ROFL, How does the old host feel about this? I'm not sure where it was previously hosted, but if it was a company you were paying, when they sent you the warning about having a chat script, you must've said: "Okay............... Then we're packing up our whole site and moving elsewhere. Goodbye."

Old 11-04-2010 at 12:16 AM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times
Chad was obviously on a shared or VPS service before he moved to the dedicated server. Hosting companies almost always disallow chat scripts in a shared/VPS environment because they are worried about resource usage. What if 1000 people logged onto the chat script at once? The server would be maintaining 1000 concurrent connections that could consume resources that are supposed to be allocated to other VPS containers and other shared sites. Additionally, the hosting company doesn't have the resources to monitor and control Chad's chat scripts.

Having a dedicated server was most likely one of Chad's few options because now he can do whatever the hell he wants with it! If it gets overloaded it doesn't affect any other customers, only MacInsiders.

I myself had to go through the same experience and now manage a dedicated server with about 10 websites and an Icecast server for London Tap House's online live DJ streams. This wasn't obviously possible with a VPS or shared hosting.

End result is that the original hosting company could've possible kept Chad as a customer if they had dedicated server options available. If not, then MacInsiders has simply outgrown the old hosting company.

Hope this clears up any questions as to why the Chat was a no-no for the old hosting company in the first place.

PS: Let me know if you ever need a hand, Chad. VPS/Dedicated server technology is one of my specialty jobs.

Last edited by sjager : 11-04-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Quick note

xxsumz says thanks to sjager for this post.

SilentWalker likes this.

Old 11-04-2010 at 12:36 AM   #4
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
/me doesn't like things on downtime... they smell like ELM

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:55 PM   #5
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
i cant log in UGGH whyy

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:57 PM   #6
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
i cant log in UGGH whyy
Use the chat link on the top bar,

not the URL of the previous chat

Unless that was not the problem you are having

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:58 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakattack View Post
Use the chat link on the top bar,

not the URL of the previous chat

Unless that was not the problem you are having

Not the problem I was having :(

Its just not logging me in

Old 11-04-2010 at 06:01 PM   #8
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Not the problem I was having :(

Its just not logging me in
:(

Well you havent been missing much, chat has been empty for the random times ive been on (but i guess if people are having problems that could explain it)

Old 11-04-2010 at 07:02 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times
I can log in but then it says that there is no on else online. Yet, when I start talking all the other comments appear. But they stop appearing until I type again.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search