MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michael Ignatieff: Q & A. Your opinion? Hatsumi General Discussion 14 01-18-2010 10:07 AM
A conversation with Michael Ignatieff @ McMaster University lorend MacInsiders Announcements 3 01-11-2010 10:39 PM
A conversation with Michael Ignatieff @ McMaster University lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-21-2009 09:18 PM
RIP Michael Jackson RoyK General Discussion 31 07-14-2009 12:53 AM
Michael Mercier samantha__ Professors 2 06-30-2009 08:07 PM

Michael Phelps

Old 08-14-2008 at 12:01 AM   #16
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Michael Phelps is a great athlete. I've seen his races and he's probably the most consistent athlete at the Olympics at the moment.

About Canada's current medal standing: I think we're being too harsh on our athletes. Saying that Canada's medal count is unacceptable or embarrassing is saying likewise for our athletes' performances. They're giving 110% and considering the lack of funding they get from federal grants and corporate sponsorships they're still setting personal bests and Canadian records. I read an article on how one Canadian Olympian was around $25000 in debt just training for the Olympics (and remember - Adam van Koeverden took a year off school to train for Athens as well). I know it's somewhat hard to believe that a country like Canada doesn't seem on par with Australia, USA or China but Canadian athletes are doing the best they can with what they have. We should be proud of how our athletes are doing, and there's still ten days of events left to go. Go Canada!

Old 08-14-2008 at 12:02 AM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

He can't be taking drugs, they test the top 5 swimmers of every race right after they get out of the pool within 5 minutes.

It's 1AM!!! ADAM?! What channel?!?!?! It's not on CBC right now. :(
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:04 AM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

As for Canada's medals, or lack there of, you should realize that Canada is trying their best. I guess you can say, it's not us it's them. It just so happens that other countries are doing better than us. The Canadian athletes are beating Canadian records left and right.
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:05 AM   #19
Mel.L

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
He can't be taking drugs, they test the top 5 swimmers of every race right after they get out of the pool within 5 minutes.

It's 1AM!!! ADAM?! What channel?!?!?! It's not on CBC right now. :(
Not sure =/

I'm watching the men's gymnastics - Adam and Nathan are doing really well
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:12 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, CBC is showing gymnastics
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:24 AM   #21
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

Man I totallyyyy agree with kenneth526. I was watching some Canadian news network (which I despise since they ALWAYS use fear as a tactic to attract audiences) and they said (paraphrasing here) "why are Canadians performing so poorly at the Olympics? W How will Canadians respond with this disappointment? We'll discuss the reasons why at.. blah blah blah time." I am SO impressed with ALL our athletes out there giving it their all and so disappointed in that news channel in bashing them and thinking that WE'D be embarrassed. I love our Olympic team =)
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:27 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, they don't give the entire story. Yes the Canadians are doing poorly, but only compared to other countries. Like I said, the Canadians are performing better than they have ever in the history of Canadian Olympics.
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:18 PM   #23
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

CBC does a horrible job itself of coverage. The commentating is brutal, this happens only for the "foreign events" i.e. Football (soccer), and is most evident in its failure to show other events, mainly those I like such as water polo, kayaking, handball, etc. I avoide all this by watching Bob Costas and the NBC coverage....they don't have hockey play-by-play guys trying to explain sports they probably don't even know the rules of.

As for the medals, it is unacceptable for Canada to have none to this date. I am not saying the country should win and compete with China or the USA, but at least keep up with comparables.

Australia has 21 million people, we have 30 million and they are in 4th with 16 medals as of now.

The tiny but great nation of Georgia, which is at war, has more golds (2) than we have meals.

I know the funding is not at its best, but other nations offer less and get more for their results and they are 2nd-3rd world and landlocked. It is frustrating as a Canadian to watch them.
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:40 PM   #24
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I watched the gymnastics last night and it was ok. Adam and Nathan did really well, both placing under 18, which is a record for Canada. The pummelhorse was brutal. So many athletes fell off! The Japanese man fell off twice. Nathan fell off as well. I really really didn't like the commentating. First of all, they were really delayed. We would see the score and it would take them a minute to mention it. Second, they didn't talk about things, or they missed things. Athletes made mistakes and they didn't say anything. It's possible they just didn't see it because they talked about a mistake after they were looking at the replay.

Lastly and most importantly, the male announcer who sounded like a teenager, was laughing and making fun of the other teams when they screwed up! How rude is that! The Japanese athlete fell off the pummelhorse and he cracked up. And then he went on to talk about how the Japanese team always makes him laugh because they don't try hard enough to stay on. What?
Old 08-14-2008 at 09:57 PM   #25
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

omg i just watched phelps again.. ANOTHER GOLD.. ANOTHER RECORD!!! omg.. he's crazyyy..they were analzying his body.. it was funny..
something about him having the lower body of a 6" person but the upper body of someone w/ 6" 8". then about him doig workouts that burn 4000 calaries each time.. pumps 8 gallons of blood or something.... he's just crazy!

i feel bad for this Laszlo Cseh that keeps getting silver for 3 competitions right after phelps. haha. oh well...
Old 08-14-2008 at 10:07 PM   #26
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

OoOoOoh, Eva has a cruuuush! I kid i kid! Crazy though winning all those medals. I saw it too. Watching right now while answering timetable questions! haha.
Old 08-14-2008 at 10:17 PM   #27
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I dont find Mike Phelps very attractive but hes pretty sick

As for Team Canada, oh well.. they are trying their best Maybe this just isn't our Olympics, you know? I find the Olympics overrated now anyways.. it's definitely lost its touch with me now.

Old 08-14-2008 at 10:37 PM   #28
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

no no. i don't have a crush on him. he's not that attractice as samantha said.. he's just CRAZYYY i'm just in shock and amazed.....
i'm watching the gymnastics now.. while writing up on an article
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:00 PM   #29
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Michael Phelps is just amazing...It's like he's superhuman. As much as I want him to win all 8 medals, I really thought he was going to get a silver today but he pulled it off yet again. I have a bad feeling though about the 100 m butterfly tomorrow but watch, he's still going to be able to pull it off. Anyway, on a side note, has anyone seen Alicia Sacramone (the american gymnast)?
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:07 PM   #30
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

Haha yeah Eva I saw that body analysis too, I wonder if he posed for them =P. Did you guys see Beavers interview? He was soo goodd, I loved his answers! I think he won the hearts of everyone who watched.
He goes to Waterloo and he's doing a masters degree in cardiovascular physiology and he wants to be a doctor.
Dude.. he totally PWND Phelps in his interview (Phelps didn't even say thank you 8-) ).