MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro / Macro Econ - Quick Question fishman Academics 17 06-13-2010 02:01 PM
Micro and Macro in one Sems Fa11enAnge1 Academics 9 12-12-2009 01:09 PM
macro vs micro lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-25-2009 08:53 AM
Macro or MIcro???? ishk33 Academics 4 01-10-2009 09:39 PM

MICRO or MACRO?

Old 06-01-2009 at 12:56 AM   #1
MSS12

Liked: 0 Times

MICRO or MACRO?
Hi, I want to take one of the economics courses in term 2 of summer school but I'm not sure which one...

I've read a lot of things about both micro and macro and generally, I've seen that it's split pretty evenly between both in terms of preference. I've heard that micro is more data related while macro is more so on theory... just how much are they data and theory related?

I've never taken an economics class before and don't know what to expect. Even though micro is mostly data and macro is mostly theory, I've heard that macro has its fair share of formulas and graphs. So, which one would help me raise my cumulative average more?

Also, I don't know the professor teaching micro but I know that Dr. Khan is teaching macro in term 2 ... does that make a difference?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:12 AM   #2
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Hey there,

Yup, Micro is more "mathy" (i.e. more formulas, calculations, etc...) as opposed to Macro which is more theory related. However, Macro does have its fair share of math. It's not hard math though, so I'm sure you'll do well.

Personally, I'd recommend Macro. I found it easier, as it's more related to the real world, and it's very interesting as it deals with the economy as opposed to Micro, which deals with households.

There are reviews for these courses here:

Quick Nav: Home » Reviews » Courses » 1st Year Course Reviews

In regards to Dr. Khan, I've heard a lot of good things about him.
~KS

Last edited by Kevin S : 06-01-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:19 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Some people are good with numbers while others are good with thinking. So if you want to know which would raise your CA more, then I suggest figuring out what type of person you are. Are you good with numbers like plugging stuff in or are you better with thinking understanding concepts?
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:25 AM   #4
drig

I'm planning on taking Macro in first semester but from what I understand, most people find Macro more interesting but also harder. However, if you find something really interesting, you are more likely to work harder and get better marks.

So not sure if that was helpful but it really is a tough choice ... personally from what I've read and heard of the course, I'd probably choose Macro.
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:28 AM   #5
MSS12

So, micro and macro are pretty much the same... micro can be said to be more data and math related and macro can be said to be more theory related. But all in all, they both have a fairly even amount of theory and math that neither is very significant.

However, since macro might be more theory based, would it involve more application types of questions in contrast to micro which might be more straight forward?
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:31 AM   #6
MSS12

Also, another thing to add is that I do better, generally much better, on my assignments than on tests where I don't have all the information available to me.

I know that this is because I'm not fully understanding the concepts and learning to apply them to different situations, but knowing this, which would be better suited for me in the next couple of weeks... micro or macro?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-01-2009 at 09:39 AM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Khan is an amazing prof. I had him last semester for 2nd year macro, and he does everything in his power to help students do well.

We had in class quizzes, which are open book, and you can collaborate with other students. On top of that, he gives you the quiz the day before so you can even find all the answers before the class.

At the end, if your exam mark is better than a midterm mark, your exam takes the place of the midterm as well.

He's really considerate and also gives bonus marks on top of that.