MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the concept of marriage outdated? Do you plan on getting married? RockerSocker Dating & Relationships 39 06-20-2011 01:08 PM
Can someone give me a DL for Microsoft Word Rakim Computers & Tech 40 10-09-2010 06:54 PM
Microsoft office 07 CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-29-2010 02:13 PM
I Need Microsoft Office On My Comp Desda Computers & Tech 31 08-11-2010 11:43 PM
MICROSOFT coming to Mac! Chad General Discussion 0 01-29-2008 11:17 PM

Microsoft Windows UI concept

Old 02-28-2012 at 08:10 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Microsoft Windows UI concept
Would you buy Windows 8 if it looked like this? /this is just a concept of what they wish Microsoft would have done.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/28...top-ui-concept
Old 02-28-2012 at 08:15 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Absolutely not, I'm already extremely annoyed on a daily basis when having to navigate around a dummy-friendly interface in programs such as word, excel, etc, not to mention navigating the control pannel.

I think I'd actually try to learn linux or something similar...or even... mac os...
Although I'd have to use it because it would be standard (common lab computers or wherever)...

Its mostly a functionality thing for me, and not having access to random features I need, or have them hidden beneath many layers of tabs or other garbage, certainly 'I'm not used to it' is a part of it, and I realize there are complicated reasons why UI designers do what they do (minimize access time, most used items most prominant, etc).

The UI itself resembles phone and social network interfaces... :/

Snowman likes this.
Old 02-28-2012 at 08:19 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Reminds of a Zune my sister had. That's not good.

It looks so... default. Like FF before you put a persona on it... its just missing everything... eww, default.

Last edited by britb : 02-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2012 at 08:58 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Absolutely not, I'm already extremely annoyed on a daily basis when having to navigate around a dummy-friendly interface in programs such as word, excel, etc, not to mention navigating the control pannel.

I think I'd actually try to learn linux or something similar...or even... mac os...
Although I'd have to use it because it would be standard (common lab computers or wherever)...

Its mostly a functionality thing for me, and not having access to random features I need, or have them hidden beneath many layers of tabs or other garbage, certainly 'I'm not used to it' is a part of it, and I realize there are complicated reasons why UI designers do what they do (minimize access time, most used items most prominant, etc).
This is the problem i am finding more and more and it is extremely frustrating. when everything is laid out in simple (but not always pretty) menus like the old styles, it was always easy to find stuff. now i spend 20 mins looking for stuff on excel that i used to know where they were right away, just because the most common used ones are 10x bigger

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 02-28-2012 at 08:59 PM   #5
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

It looks like my xbox menu... yuck. Now I know why i have a mac
Old 02-28-2012 at 09:15 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

They're integrated too much social networking related things which I don't participate in..so no to your question.
Old 02-28-2012 at 09:16 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
They're integrated too much social networking related things which I don't participate in..so no to your question.
I don't even have Facebook. Figure that train left the station for my grade a long time ago.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 02-28-2012 at 09:34 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I don't even have Facebook. Figure that train left the station for my grade a long time ago.
Same here. I never had one, nor Twitter, etc.

britb likes this.
Old 02-28-2012 at 09:54 PM   #9
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:

Dummy-friendly interface? What? All it would be is exactly what you have now, but metro-styled (Metro being the design language Microsoft is using in their products now).

Looks better than just sticking a nearly unchanged desktop (From a visual standpoint) into Windows 8. The Window's 7 desktop, which uses aero, does not mesh well with the new start screen, which uses Metro.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft dropped the ball in this regard. Which is too bad because Metro can look really, really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
It looks like my xbox menu... yuck. Now I know why i have a mac
Soon MS Office will look like it too.

Last edited by MiniDragon : 02-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Yogurt says thanks to MiniDragon for this post.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 02-28-2012 at 10:07 PM   #10
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

It has too many pictures.

Also, I really don't like that color, but I assume that can be changed.
Old 02-29-2012 at 12:56 AM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:

I thought you'd know linux. I switched to Linux completely because I didn't like the way Windows is going now too.

But, there are a LOT of choices in linux for interface. Gnome 3, Gnome 2 ports, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment 17, Fluxbox to name a few.

Then there's the distribution thing, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Arch Linux, etc. Maybe wait till April for the next Elementary OS.

Frankly, if Mac is the no-choice zone, linux is the extreme opposite, drives you mad sometimes until you come to a firm decision about what you wanna use.

Crzyrio says thanks to Afzal for this post.
Old 02-29-2012 at 01:09 AM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

looks like it's trying to be a mac
Old 02-29-2012 at 01:40 AM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The information density is too low, sorta like the Gmail redesign on "Comfortable" settings: a lot of wasted white space. The colours are also far too muted for my liking... they basically took the Zune app, added more white space and skinned all of windows like that.

I like this concept a lot more: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/25/28...op-ui-concepts

Not as strictly metro as the other design, much closer to the current windows paradigm and manages to keep a decent amount of information on-screen while still looking pretty

Snowman likes this.
Old 02-29-2012 at 09:39 AM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:

Its mostly a functionality thing for me, and not having access to random features I need, or have them hidden beneath many layers of tabs or other garbage, certainly 'I'm not used to it' is a part of it, and I realize there are complicated reasons why UI designers do what they do (minimize access time, most used items most prominent, etc).

The UI is actually a little bit similar to some linux GUI especially the way some of the beta builds for the next GNOME are going. Looking at this, it looks nice but doesnt hinder functionality at all. Some things have a bit more added transparency an the color scheme is a bit nicer than current windows.
I will agree with the new control panel in win7 and some of the other "dummy" things they've put in. However, its windows 8 you should be worried about. Having used Win8 I can tell you it is absolutely horrible for productivity. The "desktop" which is essentially the pinnacle of multitasking productivity has now become an "app" within the Metro environment and the program list (and search)...ie the start button.. are completely gone and now only inside metro which is very difficult to operate without a touchscreen (and slow even with touch). If was apparently even an afterthought (after several complaints) to add the Task Manager back in after it had been removed. They are going so basic that a lot of people are going to switch to linux or downgrade to 7.
Dont switch to mac if you hate "basic and no control". If however you wish to teach computers to a grandparent or child then a mac environment would be perfect. MacOS is really good from some things but it willl drive you insane if you like a lot of control.

As for linux, I would start with ubuntu LTS (not the new build). The newer builds have driven a lot of people away from ubuntu and to linux Mint which is also quite good.
Old 02-29-2012 at 11:09 AM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
The UI is actually a little bit similar to some linux GUI especially the way some of the beta builds for the next GNOME are going. Looking at this, it looks nice but doesnt hinder functionality at all. Some things have a bit more added transparency an the color scheme is a bit nicer than current windows.
I will agree with the new control panel in win7 and some of the other "dummy" things they've put in. However, its windows 8 you should be worried about. Having used Win8 I can tell you it is absolutely horrible for productivity. The "desktop" which is essentially the pinnacle of multitasking productivity has now become an "app" within the Metro environment and the program list (and search)...ie the start button.. are completely gone and now only inside metro which is very difficult to operate without a touchscreen (and slow even with touch). If was apparently even an afterthought (after several complaints) to add the Task Manager back in after it had been removed. They are going so basic that a lot of people are going to switch to linux or downgrade to 7.
Dont switch to mac if you hate "basic and no control". If however you wish to teach computers to a grandparent or child then a mac environment would be perfect. MacOS is really good from some things but it willl drive you insane if you like a lot of control.

As for linux, I would start with ubuntu LTS (not the new build). The newer builds have driven a lot of people away from ubuntu and to linux Mint which is also quite good.

... I beg to differ with half of that.

1. Next Gnome? So Gnome 3.4? There isn't much difference b/w the stable Gnome 3.2 and 3.4 tbh. As a matter of fact, Gnome 3 is nothing like Win 8 or Win 7.

2. Agree on the Win 8 thing, there is a horrible disconnect b/w the metro and the desktop aspects of it, downloading Win 8 CP right now

3. Do you know about the OS X homebrew scene? I hear it allows a lot of customizability but I only know 2 people that actually know about it.

4. LTS -__- You mean 10.04? He won't even have voice/video calling on the Empathy on that build. Go with 11.10 or wait for 12.04 (the new LTS). People that are going away from Ubuntu just because of Unity probably don't know that they can have any of the desktop environments on Ubuntu. After all, Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu.