MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Married! Rock007 Dating & Relationships 82 07-17-2011 01:29 PM
"Exam Guardians" - Free 1st year exam help concept Mowicz Academics 39 12-20-2010 11:30 PM
Use of Dental Plan? macstudent99 General Discussion 8 05-27-2009 06:36 PM
Dental plan? jordanrogers General Discussion 7 11-27-2008 09:50 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM

Is the concept of marriage outdated? Do you plan on getting married?

Old 06-10-2011 at 07:24 PM   #1
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Is the concept of marriage outdated? Do you plan on getting married?
Divorce rate is at 60%, it seems like people these days all have ADD and can't settle down so what's the point? True love doesn't exist, studies show passion only lasts for a few years. Also, I don't care for stories about grandparents being happily married for like 80 years or whatever, those were different times back then, I doubt you'll hear many stories like that in our generation.
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:29 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
Divorce rate is at 60%, it seems like people these days all have ADD and can't settle down so what's the point? True love doesn't exist, studies show passion only lasts for a few years. Also, I don't care for stories about grandparents being happily married for like 80 years or whatever, those were different times back then, I doubt you'll hear many stories like that in our generation.
That seems way too high.

traveler10 likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:31 PM   #3
Noodle

Liked: 19 Times

I don't think it's outdated, it's just that people these days are probably mixing up passionate love with true love. I don't believe that true love is what it is like in the movies, true love is like marrying your best friend in the entire world, a person that you would want to spend every minute of the day with. Plus we are all humans, some people do some stupid things, things that would destroy a marriage.

joanab, MirandaC, terrafirma like this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 08:50 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I like the idea of marriage, but I find it pointless to indulge in huge occasions that land the couple in debt. Who wants to start their new life with their partner swaddled with bills? Gross.

Also, true love doesn't exist? Passion and love are different things, and although they can be found together in the same situation, that isn't always the case. Some things are more important to people than ****ing (what a shocker!). People mistake passion for love, so when suddenly they aren't passing out every night sweaty and exhausted after hours of boning, they freak out and think something is wrong with their "love".

man, love is so difficult to define, so lol @ a scientific study that ever tries to come to a conclusion about it
Old 06-10-2011 at 08:53 PM   #5
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I was actually thinking about this recently! I've never ever thought i would second guess that I would get married but it seems like a big hassle. That big wedding people dream of, waste of money. Like over $5000 for a decent ring..it's so ridiculous. And then a divorce is expensive, and very messy sometimes. There is nothing wrong with being common law married I actually am starting to think it's better. But who knows maybe in the end I'll get married. Even the true love thing...I don't know about all of that. You meet someone it's exciting, it gets serious it's exciting, you move in together its exciting, you get married its exciting, you buy your first house/have kids, it's all so exciting and then your kids are starting to get older and theres really no more excitement anymore. The only thing is to go on cool vacays and stuff like that but you need a lot of money for that and then if you don't have the money all the stress builds. It's so complicated.

I know for sure I want a family but I don't think marriage is so completely necessary.

And for the olden days marriage was a complete business affair like it still is in India and stuff with arranged marriages I think only recently have people been marrying for "love" and look how that's going...

BlueWave likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 09:46 PM   #6
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Marriage is for chumps.
Old 06-10-2011 at 09:59 PM   #7
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

People should go into marriage when they are mature enough for commitment. I also see commitment from those who choose common law.( I knew a couple who have been together for years who were actually more committed than some married couples) People who expect everything from their spouse without giving something in return are not the best candidates. After doing some volunteering and seeing couples reach milestones like 60 yrs of marriage, they say the same thing. It's constant working relationship. It doesn't stop after the wedding bells. I think weddings are still important in today's world as a constant reminder that it is not all about us.

moonlitnight likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 09:59 PM   #8
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Divorce rate (for first marriages) is actually only at around 40% (national average). See link below. It is from the University of Ottawa, published in 2010, so I would say it is fairly recent/reliable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-study004.html

Have to be careful with these posts, 75% of statistics are made up.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to Maitland for this post.

Old 06-10-2011 at 10:10 PM   #9
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

I think it really depends on your culture.
For a lot of people (myself included), I think that marriage is an extremely viable and encouraged social institution to partake in. Within my family/culture it is expected that you marry your long-term partner at some point or you get that dreaded question at every social event: "So when are you getting married?" lol

In some situations obviously it is not the best course-I find the biggest problem is that people rush into marriage, but you also have to remember that the concept of marriage does provide some security (financial, emotional blah blah blah) and I think that';s why a lot of people still get married.

Main point: Depends on your culture and your own point of view

AelyaS, Biochem47 like this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:24 AM   #10
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

What a non-question. The history of marriage is the most unromantic thing you can imagine. However the legal system is set up in a way that it would be retarded for a couple in love not to eventually get married. Unless you want to forgo all the financial benefits and legal rights that come with having a spouse.

Grover, macsci, Tailsnake like this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 02:18 AM   #11
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

LOL @ "true love"

...?! says thanks to Desda for this post.

...?! likes this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 03:48 AM   #12
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
LOL @ "true love"
What she said. So accurate.
Old 06-11-2011 at 08:28 AM   #13
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

From the point of view of someone married for a while, I think true love is what grows between 2 people over years of happiness and sadness and struggles and triumphs. I think that on your wedding day the potential is certainly there, but it's the long term stuff that shows the strength of it.

That isn't to say that people don't go through struggles before marriage, but most (me either frankly) have no idea how complex life can get.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 08:51 AM   #14
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
From the point of view of someone married for a while, I think true love is what grows between 2 people over years of happiness and sadness and struggles and triumphs. I think that on your wedding day the potential is certainly there, but it's the long term stuff that shows the strength of it.

That isn't to say that people don't go through struggles before marriage, but most (me either frankly) have no idea how complex life can get.
Do people still believe in all those struggles in the 21st century? Seems to me most people that I've met are just looking for the immediate gratification. If things seem to be facing south, they ditch.
Old 06-11-2011 at 09:00 AM   #15
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...?! View Post
Do people still believe in all those struggles in the 21st century? Seems to me most people that I've met are just looking for the immediate gratification. If things seem to be facing south, they ditch.
If they don't know there will be struggles, it will be quite a surprise. Personally speaking, we've had our fair share of crap (chronic disease for one and a business that failed) but at the end of the day I know for certain that my spouse is the man I want to be with. He's got my back, always. Most days, he'd even say the same.