MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
First Year Council "Working Survey" Wiki/Edit it, Open invitation! huzaifa47 Academics 0 04-27-2009 06:38 PM
"Campus Free Speech in the Age of Terror and Multiculturalism" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-02-2008 03:34 PM

"Exam Guardians" - Free 1st year exam help concept

Old 11-22-2010 at 11:12 AM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

"Exam Guardians" - Free 1st year exam help concept
Hi everyone,

I realize I haven't been the most active here and so haven't familiarized myself with the first year population here, but I figure it's worth a shot anyway: I'm Mike, a second year masters student studying Geometry in the Math department. I currently TA Vector Calculus for Math Majors (Math 2X03).

Exam time can be stressful, particularly for first year students who are just starting to adjust to university life. As such, last year I reached out to Macinsiders members to lend a bit of a hand. What I did last year during the exam season, was offer my take on 'peer-mentoring,' and this year in hopes that others will follow my example, I gave the concept a name: "Exam guarding" because I'd like to guard students against the pressures of exams.

I'm by no means good at organizing anything, and so if anyone else has suggestions / feedback (constructive please :p) then please let me know, I'll take it very seriously.

The concept:

I essentially held some 'free office hours' so to speak, where students could drop in and ask questions at a time that's mutually convenient. The students then stuck around and studied for the remainder of the hour, working together in small groups and having discussions. I would typically set up 2 or 3 days with an hour each.

The benefit:

Relax! We've got you covered. We can provide you with a warm, inviting environment where you can study, or simply ask some of those nagging questions. Even if one of the guardians can't answer your questions, the small group dynamic will help stimulate problem solving, and discussion among the students! This is particularly useful for students who feel as though "they don't know anyone" in their classes.

The catch:

For "students":

It's free! Can't get much better than that right? Just be sure you use this service at your discretion: I can't personally validate anyone's level of expertise (particularly in areas besides my own), so if they 'steer you in the wrong direction' that's a risk you must take.

The only othe thing I ask in return is that you let us know if you're interested: I simply don't want to take time out of my schedule if I'm just going to be sitting down there by myself, you know? (it happened once last year, haha).

For "guardians":

It's an incredibly satisfying feeling! Let me know if you'd like to do something similar, let me know the courses you're willing to help with and I'll add you to the list below. Remember that students can be frustrated and in some cases simply need moral support! Be willing to do this, and even if you're not a self-proclaimed expert in your field, you will make a difference. But the catch is: It's non-profit.

My plug: - Mathematics

To get the ball rolling, I'm willing to help any first year students with any math course. I should have a working knowledge of all first year material, but if you come in with a particularly challenging integral that requires a trick you've seen in class, or other obscure question, I suppose I'd also ask for your understanding if I can't answer that specific problem.

Anyone else taking math can come, but the higher your grade level, you run a higher risk of me being unable to answer your questions...so for that reason, I'd ask that we schedule the times around the first year students, and have 2nd years, etc. come by on drop in basis.

I'm hoping this idea will stick, if anyone else (in math, or a different subject) would like to be an "Exam guardian," let me know. We can try to coordinate our schedules.

So I guess for now, anyone who needs math help please leave a post if you're interested, which course you're in, and when the final exam is for that course. (The timetable can be found http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /sched...examfinalb.php here).

Good luck with exams!
-Mike, "Exam guardian" (just so I sound important)

The List:
-Mike (Mowicz) - Math
-SciMania - Biology

Last edited by jhan523 : 11-25-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Updating the list.

amyshi says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Old 11-22-2010 at 12:19 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Hey- wow this sounds like a really great idea! It's also really nice of you to offer up your time and knowledge. I'd love to partake in something like this... except I'm not in math. But good on ya for trying this out!
Old 11-22-2010 at 02:45 PM   #3
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

Hello Mike,

This sounds like a great idea and something I will be willing to come to, it will be on campus right?

Actually, I've been missing some math lectures lately (for legit reasons though) and I'm afraid that that will hurt my preparation for the exam. I'm talking about Math 1LS3, the concepts done in class are fairly simple and easy to understand. However, I want to, okay, I HAVE to get a really high mark on the exam 'cause I haven't been preparing well for the term tests.

What do you think?

Cheers,

lizziepizzie says thanks to optimism for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 11-22-2010 at 05:25 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I was one of the first years Mowicz helped with math last year, and honestly, he's great.
Amazing teacher and an amazing person, overall.

He's understandingg and super patient (though I'm sure I almost pushed him to a breaking point one time, lool), and he takes everything seriously.

He's out there to help you, so I'd definitely suggest to take advantage of this.

lizziepizzie says thanks to xo.monica for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 11-22-2010 at 09:16 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Sounds like a great idea, I'd definetly take advantage of this (providing the times are convenient ) I'm totally in Optimism's boat on needing to ace the exam cause I screwed up the term tests.

math 1ls3 exam is december 21st.
Old 11-22-2010 at 09:37 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

This really is a great idea!! Math is totally not my thing but I would be willing to help out anyone who needed help with the first year biology courses. I don't know how much things have changed but back in first year I was totally perplexed about what the heck transcription/translation are.

So, yeah I'm totally in if anyone is interested in receiving bio help!

(Btw, I'm in 4th year Hon. Bio, and I've taken many biology and particularly molecular biology courses).

lizziepizzie says thanks to SciMania for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:11 PM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

From the looks of it, we've got someone down for Math, and someone down for Bio. (The irony is, I can't edit my first post, hence "the list")

Any other takers? (:
Old 11-23-2010 at 08:52 PM   #8
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I would definitely be interested in some extra free math tutoring!
I'm in math 1LS3
Old 11-25-2010 at 11:39 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

C'mon guys, free help with 1st year exams! Doesn't get much better than that...

(Not to be a douche, but I'm not gonna keep bumping it if people aren't interested haha)
Old 11-25-2010 at 11:43 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'll update the list when I see someone who wants to be added.
Old 11-30-2010 at 09:21 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Sounds like a great initiative. Unfortunately, I can't be of any help - Mike's definitely got the math bit more than covered, haha

Old 11-30-2010 at 09:37 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i would definetly come since i am behind in my math homework for series/sequences.

Course: Math 1za3
Exam: Dec 9
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:09 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I just had a question about the exam rooms. Mine says DBAC (7), but isn't the exam room in DBAC just a giant hall? So is the 7 just a certain area of the room that I'm supposed to be in ?
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:19 PM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

The gym will be divided into sections, each having a number. It shouldn't be so hard to find the right section, as they usually put up large signs, but you could always ask an invigilator if you're still unsure.
Old 12-05-2010 at 07:51 PM   #15
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Oh alright. Thanks for your help!