MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the concept of marriage outdated? Do you plan on getting married? RockerSocker Dating & Relationships 39 06-20-2011 01:08 PM
Can someone give me a DL for Microsoft Word Rakim Computers & Tech 40 10-09-2010 06:54 PM
Microsoft office 07 CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-29-2010 02:13 PM
I Need Microsoft Office On My Comp Desda Computers & Tech 31 08-11-2010 11:43 PM
MICROSOFT coming to Mac! Chad General Discussion 0 01-29-2008 11:17 PM

Microsoft Windows UI concept

Old 02-29-2012 at 11:31 AM   #16
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Its getting more and more user friendly.

i dont like that.

Desda, RyanC like this.
Old 02-29-2012 at 11:40 AM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
Its getting more and more user friendly.

i dont like that.
which user? The advanced user or the beginner? Because all it's doing is increasing that gap.
Old 02-29-2012 at 12:55 PM   #18
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

It used to be that windows was for the inbetween -> advanced user while mac was for someone that liked everything simple. now that they are basically copying what macs are doing, i think i will just stick to windows 7 till they correct themselves again.

many people kept or downgraded to windows xp when vista came out, so this may happen again if they continue heading in the direction they are now, where people skip windows 8 and hope the next one is better.

the only thing where i can see the new user interface being useful is with touchscreen and tablets, since all the buttons are bigger and everything is simplified
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-29-2012 at 07:58 PM   #19
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
It used to be that windows was for the inbetween -> advanced user while mac was for someone that liked everything simple. now that they are basically copying what macs are doing, i think i will just stick to windows 7 till they correct themselves again.

many people kept or downgraded to windows xp when vista came out, so this may happen again if they continue heading in the direction they are now, where people skip windows 8 and hope the next one is better.

the only thing where i can see the new user interface being useful is with touchscreen and tablets, since all the buttons are bigger and everything is simplified
I'm confused why people keep saying Microsoft is copying Apple.

They're doing the exact opposite. You can't fault them for having to respond to Apple. They need a tablet OS - they can't let the iPad just rule the show. That would be suicide. The last thing they want is for people to get all lovey dovey with Apple and start switching over. And this actually does happen. My family started with iPhones, then I got a Mac, now my mom is thinking about a Mac as well.

Copying apple would be what Google is doing (Disclaimer: I like Android and I think its a great OS). What Microsoft is doing is trying to give itself a consistent identity with Metro. Metro and iOS are VERY different.

Yes, there are similarities - but that is because they are both touch driven. But Microsoft is going to great lengths to not copy Apple, and to try and do things there way. That's why you don't see an endless grid of apps on the home screen.

EDIT: Plus, Apple is going with the Desktop OS and Mobile OS are separate. Microsoft isn't - they want them to be the same. Very different strategies, and 'm interested to see which will work out better.
Old 02-29-2012 at 08:39 PM   #20
ak21

Liked: 14 Times

Not too sure, i tried 'Windows 8 Developer preview' on my laptop and its good and everything has some nice features as well, but its something getting used to, this wasnt in the link but there tring to turn it to look the same as the mobile version, with the start menu, being exactly like the mobile version, (when clicking on start menu you go to the mobile version). The link posted here is just a concept of what they think they should make 'desktop view' to look like (you would know what i mean if you try the preview).

Anyone who wants to give windows 8 a try can download the beta officially from Microsofts site.
Old 02-29-2012 at 09:17 PM   #21
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

This is what I thought Microsoft would have done with Windows 8. This is what I thought Microsoft should have done with Windows 8. This is gorgeous.

I really do love the Metro interface, but the transition between that and the desktop of W8 is too jarring. Nevertheless, I love the direction Microsoft is going in terms of design and UX. I used to really hate Microsoft pre-Vista because it was both ugly and hard as **** to use. I don't know what they've done to their design team, but it shows. So many decisions made actually make sense.

I still hate that Ribbon and many other elements, but things like the Task Manager and new C+P dialogue are great examples of where I want Microsoft to go. It's simple and beautiful and functional all at once. There's no need to bombard the user with useless information and flashy graphics with no purpose. Sadly, it seems, as apparent from the comments in this thread, that so many Windows users have been conditioned to think more information is better. That MS is dumbing down the OS. It's impossible to wrap my head around.

I switched to Apple because of many stupid decisions Microsoft was making. So many things in their OS, I looked at and though, "Why the hell would anyone ever want thing to work in this way? Are you trying to kill people from hypertension?" Now it seems that Apple is taking a back seat when it comes to UX design. Lion and Mountain Lion is so inconsistent in the UI. The Human Interface Guidelines have just gone down the drain. And anything that still conforms isn't worth writing home about. Oh, and iOS is hideous. What happened?

Anyways, I strayed from the topic. That guy's mock up is gorgeous. Also check deviantArt for some Metro mock-ups. Absolutely fantastic. It's what Windows 8 could have, should have been.
Old 02-29-2012 at 09:30 PM   #22
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Absolutely not, I'm already extremely annoyed on a daily basis when having to navigate around a dummy-friendly interface in programs such as word, excel, etc, not to mention navigating the control pannel.

I think I'd actually try to learn linux or something similar...or even... mac os...
Although I'd have to use it because it would be standard (common lab computers or wherever)...

Its mostly a functionality thing for me, and not having access to random features I need, or have them hidden beneath many layers of tabs or other garbage, certainly 'I'm not used to it' is a part of it, and I realize there are complicated reasons why UI designers do what they do (minimize access time, most used items most prominant, etc).

The UI itself resembles phone and social network interfaces... :/
I agree with you, but that has no relevance to this thread. The frustration you're describing, and the frustration many people have, is with the Ribbon interface in Office (and now, in Windows Explorer too). The Metro-styled mock-up in Chad's post does not include that. In fact, that layout is much better, IMO. No menu bars (because honestly who uses it in Windows Explorer?) The only thing people use in Explorer is really Copy, Paste, Move, Rename, and things 95% of which is done through right click and keyboard shortcuts. Anything else, which you usually click the menu bar to find, is under Settings (the gear icon). No functionality lost, a ton of clutter lost. A much simpler interface.

Of course, I'm not telling you what your opinion should be, I'm just saying that it seems your opinion is unfounded in this situation.
Old 02-29-2012 at 09:45 PM   #23
chaos5687

Liked: Liked 2 Times

The new metro UI is definitely more tablet & touch screen oriented. I actually like Windows 7 UI, even though i hardly use the mouse thanks to Launchy (a must-have for win OS, google it) and windows key shortcuts. However the UI posted by OP is quite reminiscent of Gnome Interface and I fail to see the difference between Win7 UI and Gnome functionality-wise.

Looks like this thread is getting derailed into a Linux discussion so might as well contribute to it
As far as Debian distros go, most people seem to prefer Ubuntu-based OSes. My recommendation for most intermediate-advanced Ubuntu users is Crunchbang (you will definitely want to familiarize yourself more with the tty, unlike Ubuntu). They trimmed all the unnecessary Ubuntu features from CB, consequently it runs pretty fast even on Virtual Machines.
There are also many other excellent Ubuntu based OSes such as Backtrack5 but I guess they are more task-specific (IT and system administration) and not as user-friendly.
Old 03-01-2012 at 06:03 AM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
I agree with you, but that has no relevance to this thread. The frustration you're describing, and the frustration many people have, is with the Ribbon interface in Office (and now, in Windows Explorer too). The Metro-styled mock-up in Chad's post does not include that.
I don't understand what you're getting at, I find it very relevant. What I've seen so far is consistent and relevant with what I posted. Care to enlighten me?

Isn't this what its supposed to look like? (not original post?)
Old 03-01-2012 at 11:16 AM   #25
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Is metro a style of interface or the name of the new operating system?
Old 03-01-2012 at 11:21 AM   #26
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
Is metro a style of interface or the name of the new operating system?
Style of interface.