MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second year Engineering mfattal General Discussion 4 09-17-2010 10:37 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
Minimum grades required for 2nd year Kinesiology James Academics 1 11-17-2008 09:59 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Minimum grade for 2nd year engineering?

Old 10-21-2008 at 05:04 PM   #1
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Minimum grade for 2nd year engineering?
Does anyone know... about
minimum entering grade for each engineering?
chemical, electrical, computer, software, mechanical, mechatronics,biomedic al, etc

thanks in advance...
Old 10-21-2008 at 06:22 PM   #2
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntom10 View Post
Does anyone know... about
minimum entering grade for each engineering?
chemical, electrical, computer, software, mechanical, mechatronics,biomedic al, etc

thanks in advance...
I am a first year too so don't take my word on this but I have heard this from a lot of people so I can give you a rough idea.

Civil - 9/12
Software - 5/12
Chemical 4/12
Biomedical - 8/12

Those are the faculties I know about. It really depends as to how many people actually want to get in. Like if there aren't even 40 applications for Biomed or Civil you could make them with a score of 6.

But to be on the safer side if you're not going to Civil and 8-8.5 would be good enough to get you into any field.
Old 10-21-2008 at 10:07 PM   #3
anthonyvella

Liked: 0 Times

why is it soo hard to get this info???? its pretty ridiculous
Old 10-22-2008 at 06:41 AM   #4
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvella View Post
why is it soo hard to get this info???? its pretty ridiculous
Because every year the number of applications to each program are different. If applications for a certain program exceed the number of seats, the average will be higher due to competition.
Old 10-22-2008 at 01:29 PM   #5
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

haha, heres roughful what everyone is going for, mostly everyone is going into

civil - popular, therefore high
civil( environmental) - no comment . . . . 0_0
mechanical- is popular this year for some reason, except high
computers - so far people dont not like to code, will not like this!!
electrical- also popular
biomed- very very high
materials - around civil range
software (embedded)- low cause the reason is you code for life
software (game design)- take this into interest if you code while playing xbox360.
eng physics - physics was already bad enough
mechatronics - mechanical eng to a whole nether level

people who have like 8+ get first picks, if you are like me getting <7. expect to be getting the last two choices..

ThagsanaR says thanks to Bobby66 for this post.
Old 10-22-2008 at 04:07 PM   #6
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

what about chemical?

jon.john23 says thanks to MacEng for this post.
Old 10-22-2008 at 05:08 PM   #7
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

I got into Materials with a 4 point something. I don't think many people put it as their first choice last year but that could always change. It's a very small program (<70 in 2nd year) so if lots of people want to get in then the average would be higher.
Old 10-22-2008 at 08:00 PM   #8
anthonyvella

slightly off topic here but what if you don't make it into any of the second year engineering programs.
how difficult is it to switch to commerce prefereably for second term ( i'm doing bad)
Old 10-22-2008 at 08:03 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You'll have to contact Commerce for that.

Technically you can't fail any of your first year courses...if you're in Commerce I. But you're in Eng I so you may have some exceptions.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-22-2008 at 08:19 PM   #10
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Define the range of bad. If your falling behind the class average, take actions now.

.vida. says thanks to Bobby66 for this post.
Old 10-22-2008 at 09:55 PM   #11
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Heres a slightly confusing GPA conversion chart http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart if your not familiar with the GPA scale. From what I've heard gettiing >4.0 would be enough to get into 2nd year engineering although your choices will be limited.
Old 10-23-2008 at 10:06 AM   #12
anthonyvella

well bad as in i failed the first math test like many others
and my physics test barely barely passed ( below a 4 on the mac scale)

everything else i'm doing decent in i just want out lol
Old 10-23-2008 at 02:19 PM   #13
anthonyvella

ok well i just had a 20 minute talk with sally williams about what my options are. i can take both of my maths in summer school and not have them count towards my SA. that way all i have to do is pass math in summer school.

With switching to commerce, Mrs Williams told me to go to the commerce student office thing whatever after she had given me as much information as possible. Going to the commerce building ( degroote school of business ) was no help at all. i asked to make an appointment so i could talk with someone and she's like no we can't do that you have to go to your own faculty. So [email protected]#$ it i'm staying in engineering bk it is my first choice and i really like it.
Old 10-25-2008 at 02:26 PM   #14
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Im not sure why theres threads where people want out of engineering, I mean what exactly were you expecting. Mac Eng is survial of the fittest and it will be hard..Im not speaking with 90s in all my tests..heck Im not to content with my scores but Im staying in it anyway. You should only switch or drop out of Mac Eng if Mac tells you too..my advice is to keep trying and take some time to find out what's going wrong.

i admit Math 1Z04 is getting tougher by the day, but that doesnt give you reason to drop out of it. Ok sure you didnt pass your first math test and you might have second thoughts, but you decided to go with Mac Eng and you should always go with your first decision and just fight it out, cause in life, you dont always have other alternatives, there is only one pathway and only one way out!

Old 10-25-2008 at 04:21 PM   #15
gregster

I hate to say it, but I think you will be run over by 1ZZ5 next term (just looking at the course descriptions - I took the maths in the previous 3 course layout).

1ZZ5 is mostly the hard parts of 1H03, plus 1NN3 combined.