MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second year Engineering mfattal General Discussion 4 09-17-2010 10:37 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
Minimum grades required for 2nd year Kinesiology James Academics 1 11-17-2008 09:59 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Minimum grade for 2nd year engineering?

Old 10-26-2008 at 01:25 AM   #16
anthonyvella

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
Im not sure why theres threads where people want out of engineering, I mean what exactly were you expecting. Mac Eng is survial of the fittest and it will be hard..Im not speaking with 90s in all my tests..heck Im not to content with my scores but Im staying in it anyway. You should only switch or drop out of Mac Eng if Mac tells you too..my advice is to keep trying and take some time to find out what's going wrong.

i admit Math 1Z04 is getting tougher by the day, but that doesnt give you reason to drop out of it. Ok sure you didnt pass your first math test and you might have second thoughts, but you decided to go with Mac Eng and you should always go with your first decision and just fight it out, cause in life, you dont always have other alternatives, there is only one pathway and only one way out!

I was having some serious doubts then i realized how shitty the other faculties are basicallly. no offence to the others. But mac eng it is and mac eng forever
Old 10-26-2008 at 10:55 AM   #17
neb21

Liked: 1 Time

k so as for entrance averages the ones I know from this year from having 4 other engineers in my house.

Civil both structural and environmental were about 7 with a full course load
Mech was a 5.5 this year
Materials was a 4
physics was a 4
software was higher not sure exactly
Mechatronics was about a 5
computer was a 4
Electrical was a 6 or 7
Chemical was a 6
Biochem was an 7 or 8
Bio med not sure

Management was a 6.5
Society was a 4

so these averages are with a FULL COURSE LOAD. you actually do not get in on these averages. You get in on your average multiplied by the number of units you take.

Take this example of two students trying to get into civil (cutoff 7)

Student 1 - 37 units - average 7
7 times 37 = 259

Student 2 - has dropped two 3 unit courses putting him/her at 31 units. they then got an average of 8.

8 times 31 = 248

Students 1 would get into civil and student 2 would not get into civil because the total for student 2 is lower.

So my advice is do not drop a course unless you have to. Be very careful about this. Also if you have advanced credits like IB or AP they also lower your multiplier/total units.

Two of my housemates did not get into their first choices because of this. Dont be fooled, this is how the system works.

hellrise says thanks to neb21 for this post.
Old 10-26-2008 at 11:07 AM   #18
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

wow... thanks for the units info... i was gonna drop chem 1E03 and was going to take it in the summer... looks like it would be better to take it now to increase my total units..

zaza126 likes this.
Old 10-26-2008 at 11:07 AM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvella View Post
I was having some serious doubts then i realized how shitty the other faculties are basicallly. no offence to the others.
Umm...so...why do you think no one is going to take offense to this? I don't think you can make an accurate judgment on any other faculty, especially as a first year. You simply do not know how enough about Mac yet.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-26-2008 at 11:11 AM   #20
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Do non-engineering electives count towards your average?
Old 10-26-2008 at 01:52 PM   #21
neb21

yes they do
Old 10-27-2008 at 11:14 PM   #22
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvella View Post
I was having some serious doubts then i realized how shitty the other faculties are basicallly. no offence to the others. But mac eng it is and mac eng forever

Absolutely...Engineer s can't speak English they can just deal with numbers :p
Old 10-27-2008 at 11:16 PM   #23
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Speak for yourself...I have a higher mark in philosphy than any of my eng courses lol
Old 10-28-2008 at 05:06 AM   #24
anthonyvella

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Speak for yourself...I have a higher mark in philosphy than any of my eng courses lol
ye it seems that most people in eng are getting the best marks in there electives.
Old 10-29-2008 at 06:03 PM   #25
JONAS

seeing as a CA of 4 (believe that translates to approx. 60%) is a pass in engineering, does that mean that anything below a 60% in an individual course is considered a fail?

jono says thanks to JONAS for this post.
Old 10-29-2008 at 06:15 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Nope, for undergraduate courses a fail is anything below 50%.

If you have an average below 3.5 you are considered to be on academic probation; which doesn't mean you failed...just done really poorly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-29-2008
Kevin S.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-16-2008 at 04:49 PM   #27
Jalex

Civil both structural and environmental were about 7 with a full course load
Mech was a 5.5 this year
Materials was a 4
physics was a 4
software was higher not sure exactly
Mechatronics was about a 5
computer was a 4
Electrical was a 6 or 7
Chemical was a 6
Biochem was an 7 or 8
Bio med not sure

Management was a 6.5
Society was a 4

What are these out of? What kind of percentage are we looking at?

jon.john23, kenvin100 all say thanks to Jalex for this post.
Old 11-16-2008 at 07:51 PM   #28
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Where are you getting your data, 4 is like really low. 4 is out of 12, and thats like barely passing grade.

Old 11-16-2008 at 07:55 PM   #29
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

This should help you

A 4/12 is not 33% for the record..its a 60 according to the McMAster Scale..so the goal is get overall 60 average in your non-electives (i think) to stay in MacEng..so if you're screwing up now..you betta do well in second term