MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second year Engineering mfattal General Discussion 4 09-17-2010 10:37 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
Minimum grades required for 2nd year Kinesiology James Academics 1 11-17-2008 09:59 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Minimum grade for 2nd year engineering?

Old 11-16-2008 at 07:58 PM   #31
neb21

Liked: 1 Time

yeah 4 is 4 out of 12. That grade of four just means that the program is not usually full therefore if you want to get in and passed into second year you can get into the program
Old 11-16-2008 at 07:59 PM   #32
neb21

the 60 average includes electives
Old 11-16-2008 at 08:00 PM   #33
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalex View Post
Civil both structural and environmental were about 7 with a full course load
Mech was a 5.5 this year
Materials was a 4
physics was a 4
software was higher not sure exactly
Mechatronics was about a 5
computer was a 4
Electrical was a 6 or 7
Chemical was a 6
Biochem was an 7 or 8
Bio med not sure

Management was a 6.5
Society was a 4

What are these out of? What kind of percentage are we looking at?
apologies for the double post..but say if I want Mech Eng and Mgnt, does that mean I need a gpa of 6.5?

Oh and for all other first yr eng..remember this was last years entrance gpas so expect it to go up a bit..but im glad we have some guidelines cause finding them is so hard!

Old 11-16-2008 at 08:53 PM   #34
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

I guess the desired courses were more evenly distributed last year, thus reducing the required averages.
Old 11-16-2008 at 10:25 PM   #35
anthonyvella

bk this thread started bk i was talking about 1z04 i would like to give a shout out to all that dropped the course, bk Dr. childs and that other professors are no longer bell curving the mark!! thanks but i don't care i'm passing now
Old 11-16-2008 at 10:32 PM   #36
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I dont know why for the first half of the symester no one would give us a straight answer about bell curving the mark (Im glad Dr. Childs actually did though). I bet a third of the people who dropped out would have been able to pass the course if they knew about the bell curve. Now there left with like 200 people stuck in summer school.

Im passing the course, but that curve would have deffinately helped keep up my average for renewing my scholarship... I dont really get why they seemed to be trying to keep the bell curve a secret for the first part of the symester...it seems to have backfired.
Old 11-16-2008 at 10:41 PM   #37
neb21

yeah so based on those numbers I put up you would need a full course load and a 6.5 to 7 average based on this years results.
Old 11-17-2008 at 09:22 AM   #38
gregster

I'm sure if they announced it earlier some people would have slacked off, at least to some degree.
Old 11-17-2008 at 06:46 PM   #39
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvella View Post
bk this thread started bk i was talking about 1z04 i would like to give a shout out to all that dropped the course, bk Dr. childs and that other professors are no longer bell curving the mark!! thanks but i don't care i'm passing now
Wait, so they're no longer bell curving the mark? I'm lost now, because this is the first I've heard of this.
Old 11-17-2008 at 09:37 PM   #40
anthonyvella

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Wait, so they're no longer bell curving the mark? I'm lost now, because this is the first I've heard of this.
i'm nearly 100 % on this one but when prof. Childs was talking about the bell curve he said that they do it bk they need to have the class at average at a certain value. which is like 60. now that 220 people dropped the course the average is where they want it to be so for all the people that stuck it out are getting screwed. We were told that this might happen but a lot of people didn't know about the bellcurve so ye unless a lot of people messed up the recent test then its not getting bell curved
Old 11-18-2008 at 07:20 AM   #41
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

wow 220 people dropped math! And I thought my Physics class was somewhat smaller..

I thought people just stopped attending math class..wow thas huge!

Old 11-18-2008 at 01:51 PM   #42
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
wow 220 people dropped math! And I thought my Physics class was somewhat smaller..

I thought people just stopped attending math class..wow thas huge!
I just stopped going to math class because I do better on my own then my profs. After the first test, I was quite distraught. So I started reading and doing the work at home rather then having my profs teach me and suffice to say, I'm doing better then I did before; that's for sure.

I just don't like the teaching style of the math course tbh :/ and there really needs to be some sort of tutorial that isn't calclab related. I think they should put priority on work that integrates lessons more so then in the calclab because I feel that most of us simply go through the labs without truly understanding whats going (let alone why they only give someone the weekend to do the labs... as if work and other assignments don't get in the way, they feel like cramming in some weird labs will help out...). Overall, I think its a bit late to improve vastly for first term math and I can only hope to hold out where I am. It just means that next term's integrals are really gonna require a lot of brain cramming~ university has made me hate math
Old 12-11-2008 at 01:14 AM   #43
JONAS

Can someone shed some light on the Eng & Society program...what does it entail exactly?...would I be graduating uni with more than just a B. Eng?
Old 12-11-2008 at 12:42 PM   #44
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hey. You'd be graduating with a B.Eng Society degree. Society is a 5-yr program that incorporates other courses in addition to the core eng courses. For example, in 2nd yr you take a course that explores the relationships between technology and society. You also take courses on Inquiry. These courses are to help improve your soft skills, like writing and presentation skills, something you might not be able to do with taking all the eng technical courses in 4 yrs. Society also enables you to pursue a minor in anything you want really. All in all, I think the society program is there to make students a more well-rounded engineer. Here's the website for Eng Scty for more info.

Oh and also, you can take the society program with any engineering field (civil, chem..etc). And I think the avg to get into to scty is a 4.

Last edited by #Eng. : 12-11-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 at 12:59 PM   #45
JONAS

Thanks for the info!