MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second year Engineering mfattal General Discussion 4 09-17-2010 10:37 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
Minimum grades required for 2nd year Kinesiology James Academics 1 11-17-2008 09:59 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Minimum grade for 2nd year engineering?

Old 12-11-2008 at 01:07 PM   #46
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

They never were going to bell curve the math marks. From what I heard, they were just going to bring the final average up to somewhere between 65% to 70& by adding that percentage on to everyone's marks.

It's true though, if all the people that were bringing down the average dropped out and decided to take it in the summer, we wouldn't get as much of a mark boost.

That being said, I hope you all fail math and I pull off a decent mark so that I get to reap the benefit of the average boost .
Old 12-11-2008 at 01:21 PM   #47
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I thought bringing up the average from something lower to 65-70 is the deffinition of bell curving isn't it?
Old 12-11-2008 at 01:26 PM   #48
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
I thought bringing up the average from something lower to 65-70 is the deffinition of bell curving isn't it?
Well, from what I understand, bell-curving is more complex than that. A bell-curve can negatively effect people, apparently. There is a post in the General Engineering forums on WebCT about it.
Old 12-11-2008 at 02:02 PM   #49
sakian

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
wow 220 people dropped math! And I thought my Physics class was somewhat smaller..

I thought people just stopped attending math class..wow thas huge!
I'm not surprised. That's close to what it was when I was in first year. It's about the same in the second term too. I can't remember the exact stats, but I think it was that 1/3 of first year engineers drop out.
Old 12-19-2008 at 09:22 PM   #50
Jalex

Liked: 0 Times

okay, according to other posts the hardest to get into Eng course requires like a 7, by the 12point system, so pretty much if you get 80%-ish in first year you'll probebly be able to go into anything right?
Old 12-20-2008 at 03:37 AM   #51
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

It was higher then 1/3 drop out rate.