MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in biology cookeme Academics 1 06-14-2012 06:35 PM
Minor to BA DonJuan Academics 1 03-08-2012 01:54 PM
What is a minor? RadiantL Academics 5 01-07-2012 11:27 AM
Getting a Minor aya017 Academics 0 03-08-2011 10:33 PM
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM

Minor or no minor

Old 06-12-2016 at 05:32 PM   #1
Five9

Liked: 0 Times

Minor or no minor
Me again; what do you guys think about not having a minor?
My interests are in science, finance, and computers, and I can't find room to take enough courses!
My major is probably going to be either in life or physical/chemical science and not finance/comp, but even with that decided, I don't have room to explore both computing and finance. At this point I can't decide and am considering just not completing a minor and taking courses (50/50 each) in both finance and computers?

The minor in Information Systems, Finance, Business, Computer Science all sound interesting to me... PLUS i need room for 2 english courses to qualify for UBC med school later.
Old 06-12-2016 at 05:59 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Summer school
Old 06-13-2016 at 12:29 AM   #3
Five9

Liked: 0 Times

Is it as simple as signing up? I'll dig deeper into it once I'm actually at the university, but I'll do some research about my options now.
Old 06-13-2016 at 04:12 PM   #4
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Most courses offered in the summer are usually first and second year courses, or courses that have a high difficulty/failure rate. So some courses required for your minor may not be available during the summer and you would have to do them during the year. I don't think it's absolutely essential to have a minor especially if you're going to med school. Most med schools in Canada just want you to have a degree and to pursue something you're interested in. It's definitely something you could mention but in the case where you can't decide which minor you want and just end up taking random courses from all the areas, you could always just join clubs or participate in extracurriculars to really show that you enjoy all of those areas. And having a minor may not even be a certain thing no matter how well you plan it because in some years you'll just have situations where your minor courses will conflict with the scheduling of your core courses and it may delay/prevent you from finishing the minor.

Also something else to consider: some med schools don't consider summer courses in the GPA calculation if they use a special formula.
Old 06-13-2016 at 04:38 PM   #5
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

If your thinking med school in Canada, GPA and MCAT score are king. Don't even bother with a minor.
Old 06-19-2016 at 04:58 PM   #6
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Finance minor will include a lot of stuff that'll waste your time. Take the good stuff and skip the boring stuff. And as above, there's not much offered in summer school: it's basically where you go to make up for failing 1st or 2nd year maths.
Old 06-22-2016 at 05:13 PM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I don't know if lots has changed since I left a couple years ago, but in my experience there were actually a bunch of courses offered in summer school. A lot of courses you'll take as electives could be/are core courses for those in other programs, so with the exception of upper-year courses or smaller programs, you'll probably be able to find something to take--at least in terms of first- and second-year courses.

But then again...you haven't even started yet. It's great that you're doing research and looking ahead, but I wouldn't commit to anything quite yet. Switching programs and majors in the middle of a degree is fairly common so I'd just keep an open mind about everything.