MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
What is a "true title"? Yakattack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-13-2010 11:09 AM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Misleading Title "B.Tech"

Old 05-07-2014 at 02:32 PM   #1
M.A.Z

Liked: 0 Times

Misleading Title "B.Tech"
I applied for the B.Tech program, as I want to take a degree that is related to Biology, and that will enable me to study Medicine, as that's my plan. So I read about B.Tech 1 program, and saw that it had Co-op and Biotechnology in it, so I was like Bingo! Now after I recieved my offer of admission, and after the academic calender was announced, I find out that the degree I'd be getting is a BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY, which is neither an Engineering degree nor a Science degree.

So the questions are:
* Has anyone been in my shoes? As I don't want to end up with a Bachelor of Technology degree rather than a Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Engineering degree.

* Would I be allowed to switch at the beginning of the year to another program? or would I be stuck in B.Tech program? I don't wish to accept the offer, and then find out I can't change from the program.

Looking forward to anyone's response.

P.S: I already contacted the admission's office and they said for students transferring from B.Tech to Engineering only 5-7 seats are present for those students. A degree in Engineering is my second option, after a degree in science.
Old 05-07-2014 at 03:21 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

This is a pretty misleading title. If you applied to the program, how did you not know B.Tech stood for Bachelor of Technology? If you wanted to take a degree that is related to biology why didn't you just go into life science, where you could select biology in 2nd year?

Still, it's not uncommon for students from faculties other than Lifesci to apply to med. Even if you choose to go into B.Tech doesn't mean you can't pursue medicine.
Old 05-07-2014 at 03:56 PM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

How did you go an entire year of applying for uni and not think to google what "B. Tech" stands for?

Khan786, Leeoku like this.
Old 05-07-2014 at 04:58 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I don't think it's possible to switch at the beginning of the year, however if you have a good average you can switch from b.tech to engineering.
If you want to switch from b.tech to science you need to speak with the department of science and see if they accept such transfers and what average they need.

Switching programs is not a good choice because there is no guarantee that you will get a good average in first year. A better option would be to go back for a fifth year and retake some courses to upgrade your marks. That way you will have a higher average and a better chance of getting into science/engineering.
Old 05-07-2014 at 05:19 PM   #5
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Y'know, you can still go to medschool, regardless of what undergraduate degree you have.
I have a friend who got her Bachelor of Journalism at Ryerson, and shes currently studying Medicine at McMaster.

By the way, after reading your post, I'm willing to bet you won't be able to get into medschool anyway. A technical degree such as B.Tech would probably be more practical to you after you graduate.
Old 05-07-2014 at 07:52 PM   #6
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

I love premeds who try to get around the system for ez way to get into med school. OP probably don't have the average for engineering/lifesci/healthsci
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:20 PM   #7
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I don't think it's possible to switch at the beginning of the year, however if you have a good average you can switch from b.tech to engineering.
That is probably the stupidest decision ever. When you switched over to engineering, you have to repeat every single course since none of the B.Tech courses are accredited. If you want to waste 8 months and 15+ (possibly even more) grands, take a world trip backpacking or something. B.Tech aka Wanna-be-engineers-without-the-grades. McMaster is just cashing on people's hopes and dreams.

Do not go this route!
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:48 PM   #8
M.A.Z

I'm not a loser guys just for clarification, and yes I googled B.Tech but due to being naive and being reckless I chose B. Tech, as it was the only option that showed up regarding Biotechnology when I searched on the website.
Note: I do have the average for those programs, as my average is a 94% , but I'm asking has anyone been in this position, and did they manage to switch to another faculty? As I want to enter McMAster, but if I can't switch programs ASAP then I guess I'd have to go to uOttawa or UofT
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:54 PM   #9
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.Z View Post
I'm not a loser guys just for clarification, and yes I googled B.Tech but due to being naive and being reckless I chose B. Tech, as it was the only option that showed up regarding Biotechnology when I searched on the website.
Note: I do have the average for those programs, as my average is a 94% , but I'm asking has anyone been in this position, and did they manage to switch to another faculty? As I want to enter McMAster, but if I can't switch programs ASAP then I guess I'd have to go to uOttawa or UofT
They do not care about your high school average once you completed post-education. Its always the latest academic performance.

Do not do not for the love of god come here into B.Tech just so you can transfer over after. You waste a fucking year, tons of money, and you aren't even guarantee the spot.
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:57 PM   #10
M.A.Z

I also thought that B. Tech was just what they called it at McMaster.

Any positive comments could help
Old 05-07-2014 at 10:00 PM   #11
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
I also thought that B. Tech was just what they called it at McMaster.

Any positive comments could help
Would you give positive comments to someone wanting to put their hands in fire?

This is exactly what we, as veteran of the school, sees and are advising you to not go into btech just to switch out. You can be stubborn if you want but in the end, I won't be the one regretting it.
Old 05-07-2014 at 10:02 PM   #12
M.A.Z

Yes I do know that, but still I'd want to be able to have a good job if you don't get into Medical School as the competition is very high 16% of students that apply get in.
Old 05-07-2014 at 10:06 PM   #13
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Yes I do know that, but still I'd want to be able to have a good job if you don't get into Medical School as the competition is very high 16% of students that apply get in.
Once you starts making backup plans, you are fated to fail. Only when you become trap in a corner like a animal do you truly becomes the beast.

If you truly are passionate to become a doctor, you will do everything in your power to be one not make backup plans.
Old 05-07-2014 at 10:29 PM   #14
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Not having a backup plan is pretty bad advice. B. Tech is great in terms of getting a job but I don't think you wanted to be a technician (although you can get a P.Eng from some B.Tech programs).

Anyway, like the others said it's not a good idea to try to transfer from B.Tech to Engineering after first year since you would have to redo all the courses (and you would need a very high average to transfer ~10). I've never heard of anyone transferring from B.Tech to Science but I'm pretty sure you would have to start at first year also.
Another option you have is trying to transfer from some life sci program at another university to life sci at mac, if you really want to come to mac. That way you would have a better chance of having some credits transferred. (You would need a high average for this too)
Old 05-08-2014 at 05:49 AM   #15
M.A.Z

I see Spark, and yes I do agree having a backup plan is very important.

As for you HillyBilly, yes I would do my best to try and get into Medical school, but if I don't succeed. As competition is very high, then I need to have a degree that I like to work in too. That's why I'm asking if I could switch from B.Tech to a Scientific program such as Biochemsitry (even though it's harder). As the human and cell functions really fascinate me, and it's where I excel most at, more than Economics or Geography.

Anyways I'm going to contact the science department and see what they can do, I'll also ask the academic advisors, and see what options I have infront of me.