MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
What is a "true title"? Yakattack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-13-2010 11:09 AM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Misleading Title "B.Tech"

Old 05-08-2014 at 05:53 AM   #16
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.Z View Post
I'm not a loser guys just for clarification, and yes I googled B.Tech but due to being naive and being reckless I chose B. Tech, as it was the only option that showed up regarding Biotechnology when I searched on the website.
Note: I do have the average for those programs, as my average is a 94% , but I'm asking has anyone been in this position, and did they manage to switch to another faculty? As I want to enter McMAster, but if I can't switch programs ASAP then I guess I'd have to go to uOttawa or UofT
There is a biotechnology specialization in the biochemistry program.

There isn't really any excuse for being that "reckless" with your future. It's not hard to figure out what programs Mac offers and to learn a bit about them.

Even now, you're asking a bunch of people on the internet what to do...you should be calling the school and talking to people who can actually get things done for you. You should start with the admissions people and then go from there.
Old 05-08-2014 at 07:43 AM   #17
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.Z View Post
I see Spark, and yes I do agree having a backup plan is very important.

As for you HillyBilly, yes I would do my best to try and get into Medical school, but if I don't succeed. As competition is very high, then I need to have a degree that I like to work in too. That's why I'm asking if I could switch from B.Tech to a Scientific program such as Biochemsitry (even though it's harder). As the human and cell functions really fascinate me, and it's where I excel most at, more than Economics or Geography.

Anyways I'm going to contact the science department and see what they can do, I'll also ask the academic advisors, and see what options I have infront of me.
Dont count on switching! You dont know how your first year is going to go, and if you do end up switching you will likely lose out on that entire first year. Very few courses will be transferable.

As for the program it self is great, very hands on and applied. I am in my final year of the automotive stream. Although it is a Bachelor of 'Technology', most of us have been able to obtain engineering jobs.
Old 05-08-2014 at 11:09 AM   #18
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
I love premeds who try to get around the system for ez way to get into med school. OP probably don't have the average for engineering/lifesci/healthsci
sit ur ass down. this doesnt even make sense with regards to the original post
Old 05-08-2014 at 03:25 PM   #19
samd

Liked: 22 Times

It sounds like one of the sci programs would be best for you, my knowledge of the options there is limited though (I'm an eng.). If you're really unsure though you should look at 1st year Eng or 1st year science. The courses in those programs will position you the best for the type of programs you might decide to take in 2nd year.
Old 05-08-2014 at 03:41 PM   #20
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

I just had a discussion with a psych graduate, he brought up an interesting point. The more we, as veterans of McMaster, tries to persuade the original poster from his original idea, the more he will be compels to act it through.

Hopefully this isn't the case, I would be deeply sadden if I see you post a thread next year asking for help in transferring away from B.Tech.
Old 05-08-2014 at 08:36 PM   #21
Albert

Liked: 0 Times

You could go into engineering and try to get into Biomedical engineering. It's mostly Electrical, but it has a bunch of bio/chem thrown in there and the only thing you would need to fulfill med school requirements would be orgo which you can take in the summer (there may be more but I haven't checked). Best case scenario you email someone to try to get you into first year eng for this September. Worst case scenario you take a year off and get in next year.
Old 05-09-2014 at 12:09 AM   #22
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

As someone in the electrical and biomedical engineering program , I was going to post when I first saw your post. But I didn't exactly know how to answer you question. Like everyone here , trying to go from btech year 1 to eng year 1 ( not even 2) is hard and no guarantee. Electrical and Bio is more medical device, electrical impulses and medical imaging.

You seem more interested in Btech-Biotechnolgy or Sci-Bio chem /biotech

Being honest, you need to do more research. You are making huge time and money commitments. I would research more into Medical schools in Canada/states/ wherever else you are wiling to go and know the requirements

Find student in the undergraduate programs mentioned and ask questions.
Old 05-09-2014 at 01:58 PM   #23
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I did the exact same thing because I wanted to do something related to biotechnology and thought the technology degree was the right one. After a bit more research I found out that what I wanted was actually in the life science section. So in March, I applied to life sciences and luckily my average was high enough that they accepted me in 4 days. You should probably try applying to life science, even though the deadline says January, they will still receive your application and if your marks are high enough you will get in.
Old 05-09-2014 at 04:25 PM   #24
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
I did the exact same thing because I wanted to do something related to biotechnology and thought the technology degree was the right one. After a bit more research I found out that what I wanted was actually in the life science section. So in March, I applied to life sciences and luckily my average was high enough that they accepted me in 4 days. You should probably try applying to life science, even though the deadline says January, they will still receive your application and if your marks are high enough you will get in.
The deadline to add programs on to your OUAC application is typically in early April. People are getting put on waiting lists already apparently (if you look at the other threads on here).