MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing Horizons Galleria First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-18-2011 03:07 PM
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
Missing! mackid91 General Discussion 5 02-03-2010 11:29 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

Missing Class?

Old 08-20-2011 at 10:40 PM   #1
mediagurl

Liked: 22 Times

Missing Class?
This is my first year in University and I know it is very different then high school but what is the policy in missing (skipping) class? Would it be bad to miss a week of classes? How about just one class? I don't want to get into the habit of missing class I was just wondering. If it helps I'm in communication studies. Thanks!

**haha, i realized after I said year, when I ment week. ops. thanks for all the tips though!

Last edited by mediagurl : 08-21-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2011 at 10:42 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I didn't go to a lot of classes and I still got great marks - mostly for chemistry and math where everything can be learnt from the text.

In humanities it seems to be more important to go to class - a lot of the material from lectures is often tested and they might point you to essential parts of readings.

mediagurl says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-21-2011 at 06:20 PM   #3
AllisonJ

Liked: 1 Time

I would say that you should try to make it to all of your classes until at least your first round of midterms. After that you will probably be able to tell which courses you need the in-class style learning from and which ones you can handle from the textbook. Sometimes sleeping in or staying home and doing some reading can serve you just as well as a lecture.
Old 08-21-2011 at 06:51 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It depends on the class and how you learn best. Unless the class is a complete waste of time, you'd be wasting like $20 for every hour you don't go to class.
Old 08-21-2011 at 07:21 PM   #5
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

For tutorials and some smaller lectures, some profs note who skips (for attendance/participation marks) so don't miss those for sure since those are easy marks. You shouldn't get into the habit of skipping classes though, it'll be hard to fix afterwards.
Old 08-21-2011 at 08:35 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There are labs and tutorials that often have "participation marks", which means you get marked on whether or not you go. They can be up to 20% (maybe more). As for most lectures, no one knows or cares if you attend. It's fine to miss lectures every now and then, but you generally need to go to them.

As Sara said, it works out to be $20-$30 per class. If you want to avoid skipping, just think of all the money you'd be wasting (if you would just otherwise be sitting around, doing nothing)
Old 08-21-2011 at 09:21 PM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

i have some classes that state that if you don't attend at least 80% you'll get an automatic F, and plus as someone said, you're blowing money when skipping class.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 08-21-2011 at 09:43 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Skipped a lot of one class last year, got bad in the course... most don't have attendance, but the only person you're screwing over is yourself if you don't go
Old 08-21-2011 at 09:49 PM   #9
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

i skipped all my morning classes 2nd term cuz i slept in
I studied the material by myself using textbook and still ended up with a good mark
Old 08-21-2011 at 10:03 PM   #10
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

For me Ryan said it!

I think you should go to all your classes. Going to class is never going to unhelpful.

But some people say, "I have no idea what's going on in class...I'll just figure it out from the textbook".

In that case, you should do the reading/practice problems before you go to class...and you will find this super helpful.

During class prof's sometimes give hints/tips on what's going to be on the midterm. Or they tell you this slide won't be on the midterm...so less information you know you need to study.

Also, even in big lecture halls profs have an idea of who attends class regularly or not.
So when you go to ask for help/office hours before the midterm, they are more likely to be nice to you/help you if they know you put in the effort to come to class regularly.
Old 08-21-2011 at 10:14 PM   #11
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediagurl View Post
Would it be bad to miss a year of classes?
Well, not unless you have 7 grand to burn.