MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring Mosaic Registration? soltintal Academics 13 03-23-2015 10:04 AM
MOSAIC opens Monday - Spring/Summer Registration starts at noon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-22-2015 11:19 PM
MOSAIC will not work on MS Windows 8.1 Pro takeiteasy Academics 1 12-23-2014 07:05 PM
How good is MOSAIC going to be? lightsms Academics 6 08-13-2013 09:06 PM

Mosaic.....

Old 03-23-2015 at 08:37 AM   #1
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Mosaic.....
MOSAIC sucks monkey balls.

WTF, I open it up, see a bunch of crap like "tips to students", but I can't access my timetable from the first page? Who came up with this shit? The layout looks like a website from early 2000s. MySpace looks better.

Old 03-23-2015 at 09:37 AM   #2
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

I don't know about you, but I can't access my timetable at all. I see a blank calendar with my courses listed underneath as "meeting information not available."

Transcripts are still unavailable as well. Not an encouraging first impression.
Old 03-23-2015 at 10:09 AM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

They could have replaced the whole page with a picture of a dog turd, would be the same effect.

Actually no, I take it back, it would be better if we had a picture of a turd for the webpage.

Why did they even replace MUGSI if they didn't get this whole thing worked out? Why did they replace it with something that looks and feels like shit? It's over complicated, bloated, and unintuitive.

Improvements my asshole. Is this where my money goes? Men's bathroom in ITB had a broken sink for over 3 years now, when will that get fixed?

This is why I don't vote for MSU candidates, they aren't doing shit for our benefit.
Old 03-23-2015 at 10:54 AM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'm largely a Mosaic hater too, but because most of your pessimism is complemented by idiotic statements, I need to rebuff your last post:

You don't "not vote" for MSU candidates because you think money is mis-spent, or poorly spent, or anything like that; for that reason, you would vote Reject or maybe Abstain.

No, choosing to not vote is apathy for democracy; and refusing to participate in the discussion, outside of your disorganized Macinsiders comments, reflects your inability to do something better, yourself.

And to support my claim that the last post was filled with idiocy: Mosaic, Bathroom maintenance, and the MSU are almost completely unrelated (in fact, one could say that the MSU has 0 influence on bathroom maintenance).

Snowman likes this.
Old 03-23-2015 at 11:35 AM  
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 03-23-2015 at 12:43 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

I said nothing about others having not to vote. I merely voiced my opinion, and stated the fact that:

- MOSAIC blows
- Our money goes to waste

That's it.

Quote:
are you freaking Jesus that you are judging others?
Yes, I am in fact Jesus.

Now please make more Engineering threads.
Old 03-23-2015 at 01:27 PM   #6
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
I said nothing about others having not to vote. I merely voiced my opinion, and stated the fact that:

- MOSAIC blows
- Our money goes to waste

That's it.

Yes, I am in fact Jesus.

Now please make more Engineering threads.
George, lol, I was defending you from Mike the bully.. That was directed towards Mike

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 03-23-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2015 at 02:02 PM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
George, lol, I was defending you from Mike the bully.. That was directed towards Mike
Then why did you like his post?
Old 03-23-2015 at 02:05 PM   #8
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

No reason, I was baffled by his ignorance, bullying and judgmental nature..
Old 03-23-2015 at 02:21 PM   #9
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Did anyone notice that Mosaic looks like Queen's application portal?
Old 03-23-2015 at 02:30 PM   #10
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

It's probably based on Oracle PeopleSoft as well.
Old 03-23-2015 at 05:25 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisA View Post
It's probably based on Oracle PeopleSoft as well.
That's correct. There are only two major players in the Large Scale Public Sector Higher Ed Institution market aka Oracle People Soft and Banner by Ellucian. Between 2010-2013 I was on the Steering Committee for the Systems Renewal/MOSAIC project and we went through 100's of hours of work to choose the vendors, consultants, process map and staff went through even more time over the past five years. Unfortunately, over 70% of large scale ERP Implementations face some sort of failure, namely:

Takes longer to implement than expected
Costs more than expected
Fails to deliver at least half of the expected business benefits

These failures have been experienced by Hospitals, Governments and other Universities across the world.

Soo in a way I'm not surprised about the initial hiccups, they were 100% expected despite all the efforts to avoid them, time will tell how effective McMaster is at going over these bumps and having something stable in time for Summer 2015. It has taken other Universities anywhere from a couple months to a year to failure leading to reversion of some modules back to the old ways or more $$ spent on modifications.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-24-2015 at 09:47 AM   #12
lyonsnew

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
That's correct. There are only two major players in the Large Scale Public Sector Higher Ed Institution market aka Oracle People Soft and Banner by Ellucian. Between 2010-2013 I was on the Steering Committee for the Systems Renewal/MOSAIC project and we went through 100's of hours of work to choose the vendors, consultants, process map and staff went through even more time over the past five years. Unfortunately, over 70% of large scale ERP Implementations face some sort of failure, namely:

Takes longer to implement than expected
Costs more than expected
Fails to deliver at least half of the expected business benefits

These failures have been experienced by Hospitals, Governments and other Universities across the world.

Soo in a way I'm not surprised about the initial hiccups, they were 100% expected despite all the efforts to avoid them, time will tell how effective McMaster is at going over these bumps and having something stable in time for Summer 2015. It has taken other Universities anywhere from a couple months to a year to failure leading to reversion of some modules back to the old ways or more $$ spent on modifications.
While this is all true what you cannot do it explain why McMaster cheaped out and didn't purchase the proper support for implementation and left it up to a completely incompetent UTS. Also it is possible in MOSAIC to have things like waiting lists and other things useful for student registration that McMaster also decided not to purchase. There may have been limited options but McMaster made a decision to not spend extra money that would have greatly smoothed over the situation.

Another quick point is that McMaster never thinks of time as an asset. This new system has wasted 1000,s of hours of student and administration time. As a Faculty Administrator what they think of MOSAIC (and remember they had nothing to do with choosing it) and if you get an honest answer they will tell you it has cost them weeks of time.
Old 04-02-2015 at 05:29 PM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsnew View Post
While this is all true what you cannot do it explain why McMaster cheaped out and didn't purchase the proper support for implementation and left it up to a completely incompetent UTS. Also it is possible in MOSAIC to have things like waiting lists and other things useful for student registration that McMaster also decided not to purchase. There may have been limited options but McMaster made a decision to not spend extra money that would have greatly smoothed over the situation.

Another quick point is that McMaster never thinks of time as an asset. This new system has wasted 1000,s of hours of student and administration time. As a Faculty Administrator what they think of MOSAIC (and remember they had nothing to do with choosing it) and if you get an honest answer they will tell you it has cost them weeks of time.
I believe extra staff were hired to lead training and Deloitte was around during most of the process to lead process mapping and best practices for change management. Since I've been out of it for two years I can't say much on what happened since.

Also where did you hear about the lack of waitlisting? That was going to be a central feature of the software and didn't seem that it was coming at an additional or prohibitive cost.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-04-2015 at 12:03 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

For anyone who's looked through MOSAIC closely, is there anywhere where course scheduling information is posted? McMaster took down the old source for http://www.timetablegenerato r.com, which was (this year) https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/U201409.html

Judging by how slow this site is compared to MUGSI, even when not course selection related things without any traffic, I have a feeling students will still want to be able to schedule their courses ahead of time offline and was hoping I could get the site working properly again :/