MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring Mosaic Registration? soltintal Academics 13 03-23-2015 10:04 AM
MOSAIC opens Monday - Spring/Summer Registration starts at noon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-22-2015 11:19 PM
MOSAIC will not work on MS Windows 8.1 Pro takeiteasy Academics 1 12-23-2014 07:05 PM
How good is MOSAIC going to be? lightsms Academics 6 08-13-2013 09:06 PM

Mosaic.....

Old 04-05-2015 at 11:57 AM   #16
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

It looks like they're posting master timetables as PDFs here:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /enrol/class-search/

It's unclear if they will provide one for the upcoming Fall/Winter session.

Also, if you go here (link will not work if you're logged in to Mosaic):

https://applicants.mcmaster.c a/psp... S_SEARCH.GBL

You can perform an overly broad search (campus==McMaster or similar) and get a list of what looks like every course.

Last edited by chrisA : 04-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2015 at 12:10 PM   #17
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hey Dillon, hope you can get timetablegenerator.co m working again. It is a great resource for students.

chrisA looks like he might have found a temporary solution.
Old 04-06-2015 at 01:48 PM   #18
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

I think I solved the mystery why Mosaic is so horrible.... Jar Jar is key to all this.
Old 04-07-2015 at 05:22 PM   #19
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
For anyone who's looked through MOSAIC closely, is there anywhere where course scheduling information is posted? McMaster took down the old source for http://www.timetablegenerato r.com, which was (this year) https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/U201409.html

Judging by how slow this site is compared to MUGSI, even when not course selection related things without any traffic, I have a feeling students will still want to be able to schedule their courses ahead of time offline and was hoping I could get the site working properly again :/
It's in the "Search for classes" section
Old 04-07-2015 at 11:48 PM   #20
chrisA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
It's in the "Search for classes" section
The problem with this is timetablegenerator.co m needs a source where the scheduling information for every course is shown at once. It would be to inefficient/time-consuming/impossible to look up the info one course at a time like this.
Old 04-09-2015 at 06:59 PM   #21
ItsKaobo

Liked: 0 Times

I just want to know how much did mac spend on the new system......
Old 04-10-2015 at 10:20 AM   #22
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

How can I get the code of the course I want to take?

I thought I'd get it via the Master Schedule, but I Google it and what I get is "FAQ on the Master Schedule", but not the Master Schedule itself....... what the deuce

I swear to god, monkeys designed Mosaic. Like whenever I imagine the programmers behind it, I see two chimps smashing keyboards in rage.

Old 04-10-2015 at 11:04 AM   #23
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKaobo View Post
I just want to know how much did mac spend on the new system......
Haha no you really dont.

I would guess the following (based on pure speculation, a bit of quick reading and some industry knowledge)

- Initial transition costs over 2-4 years
(approval boards, hearings, vendor meetings, staff training, student resource creation, etc. More costs that you can imagine)
$10-20 million

- Vendor License costs (peoplesoft):
$750,000 to $1 million. Additional costs for upgrades every 2-3 years

- Support costs (peoplesoft + business partners)
Initial support: 5 million
Continuing support every year: >$1million

Overrun Costs:
- 5 Million (at least. A few USA schools have said their overrun costs have been in the $20+ million range)

Hardware costs:
- New servers OR cloud based solutions license. (or a hybrid setup)

Its my total guess. But if you were thinking cheap ... think again. If anything I low-balled. ERP solutions are incredibly expensive and have a long history of massive overruns due to high complexity.
Old 04-10-2015 at 04:51 PM   #24
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Haha no you really dont.

I would guess the following (based on pure speculation, a bit of quick reading and some industry knowledge)

(approval boards, hearings, vendor meetings, staff training, student resource creation, etc. More costs that you can imagine)
$10-20 million

Overrun Costs:
- 5 Million (at least. A few USA schools have said their overrun costs have been in the $20+ million range)

Hardware costs:

Its my total guess. But if you were thinking cheap ... think again. If anything I low-balled. ERP solutions are incredibly expensive and have a long history of massive overruns due to high complexity.
Hmm, seems legit. Yet half of the building in McMaster look like they haven't been restored in decades. The three buildings TSH, KTH and that other one still have lockers that look like they were found in 50s junkyard.
Old 04-11-2015 at 08:57 PM   #25
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

my computer originally has windows 8 but am using a windows 7 skin/shell

when i try to log into mosaic, i get the message "We've detected that your operating system is not supported by this website. For best results, use one of the following operating systems"

and then it gives a list of acceptable OS including windows 8 and 7.

Anybody had this issue?
Old 04-12-2015 at 02:26 PM   #26
chrisA

As long as it lets you in I'd assume the error is meaningless and everything should work as well as it works for everyone else. (not great)

Could be you're using 8.1, but the site's only coded to check for 8.
Old 04-14-2015 at 06:06 PM   #27
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Haha no you really dont.

$10-20 million

Overrun Costs:

Hardware costs:

You're pretty close! The project budget approval that went through Board of Governors 3-4 years ago was at $45 Million. You also might be the first person related to McMaster that knew about ERP projects on your own! Usually the first reaction I hear is "What? $45 Million? 4th Year CompSci's could design a better system than this crap for a $100k or free".

Unfortunately as you might know Oracle People Soft and SunGard Banner were the only two options in the market that had the scale to cover not just student administration (which most students interact with) but also integrated HR/Finance/Research sections in one piece as well. Similarly Deloitte was chosen as the consultant for the project, the other firms in the running were just as high tier as they monopolize past experience implementing ERP in a University environment.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-16-2015 at 10:30 AM   #28
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisA View Post
As long as it lets you in I'd assume the error is meaningless and everything should work as well as it works for everyone else. (not great)

Could be you're using 8.1, but the site's only coded to check for 8.
unfortunately it doesnt let me in
using my mobile permanently for this new 'mugsi'..
Old 04-16-2015 at 03:04 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Unfortunately as you might know Oracle People Soft and SunGard Banner were the only two options in the market that had the scale to cover not just student administration (which most students interact with) but also integrated HR/Finance/Research sections in one piece as well.
Were no smaller companies consulted? I don't see the point of exclusively trying to find an "off the shelf solution" if it takes half a decade to deliver it. Integrating all that isn't terribly difficult and scaling up isn't too much of an issue these days when you have things like AWS you can host on.
Old 04-16-2015 at 03:31 PM   #30
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Were no smaller companies consulted? I don't see the point of exclusively trying to find an "off the shelf solution" if it takes half a decade to deliver it. Integrating all that isn't terribly difficult and scaling up isn't too much of an issue these days when you have things like AWS you can host on.
To be fair, the old class registration system existed for more than half a decade (at least from what I remember), and it still smoked ass.

I mean 40 people at a time for a University of 25000 students? How the fuck was that supposed to work?