MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move-in question kwanfelix First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 11:00 PM
Parking Lot question on Move in Day icecubz Mary Keyes Forum 2 08-31-2010 01:46 PM
Move-in Question! Kay-Kay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-30-2008 01:39 AM
another move-in day question marrgarita First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-28-2008 12:27 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

Move In Day Question

Old 08-28-2008 at 01:12 AM   #1
Mephisto

Liked: 0 Times

Move In Day Question
Dear Macinsiders,

A quick question: On move in day, will trolleys be provided to move large appliances (i.e. fridge) and other boxes? Or would it be wise to bring my own?

In addition, does anyone know whether we're allowed to use the Sharp El-520W (calculator) or does it have to be the Casio model for Physics courses?

Thanks for your help!

Mephisto
Old 08-28-2008 at 05:30 AM   #2
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

For move-in day, all your stuff is going to get moved in by reps so you don't have to be worried about that, trolleys and what not will be provided.
As for the calculator, if you want to be allowed to use the calculator in the test you should get the Casio. The Casio (fx-991) is the only McMaster approved calculator for all tests and exams.
Old 08-28-2008 at 09:04 AM   #3
rebeccaaa

So if people are moving our stuff in, what are we supposed to do about the bigger things, for example Im in a suite style so I have a TV. Also What about our computers and printers, I dont exactly want to leave them lying on a lawn somewhere waiting to be moved.
Old 08-28-2008 at 09:29 AM   #4
matthenry01

ya, i dont think we can put stuff like that in boxes...
so will we take them up to our rooms ourselves?
Old 08-28-2008 at 12:25 PM   #5
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Reps aren't supposed to move expensive or easily breakable things, so you likely will have to bring them up to your room yourself.
Old 08-28-2008 at 12:45 PM   #6
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

We don't move computers / monitors / tvs. Not that we break things, but if it were to happen we'd be in trouble

Shopping carts are provided for you to move things.
Old 08-28-2008 at 12:58 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

What if I put a bunch of china plates and crystal glasses in a box and didn't tell you? Lmao, I'm just kidding. But you wouldn't mind bringing up printers right?
Old 08-28-2008 at 01:38 PM   #8
Cippi

Printers should be fine. You may get a nervous rep who doesn't want to touch it, but really, if you ask someone specifically to bring something up, they probably won't mind.
Old 08-29-2008 at 01:07 AM   #9
Ruggedman

where do we park and where do these reps come meet us?

To be honest, i just have a suitcase of clothes, my laptop will be in my bag, and other than that i have a fridge and printer.

And since reps cant carry all expensive or breakable things do i just do it myself or do they help anyways?
Old 08-29-2008 at 01:20 AM   #10
Cippi

There's a predefined route that you have to follow in order to drive up to your residence building (there will be signs and staff pointing the way). At a designated area, you'll stop the car, and reps will unload it onto carts which they will then bring into the buildings. You (or your driver) then has to immediately move the car out of the unloading area to allow the next car to pull up; at this point, you'll move the car to the long-term parking lot, which is actually quite far away (Zone I if you look at the map here: http://parking.mcmaster.ca/June25Upd... utomation.PDF)

It helps a lot if someone comes with you and drives, since you can get out at the unloading zone and go get your keys while they park. If that's not possible, then you'll just have to go and park it and trek back to get the keys, which really isn't a huge deal. In your case, I'd let the reps take the suitcase, fridge, and printer - they'll be waiting for you outside your room when you get back to the building. Really the most expensive thing you'll have is your laptop, and if you keep that on you in your bag, then the rest of the stuff shouldn't be a problem for the reps to move. It just sometimes gets a little dicey when people bring heavy CRT monitors or desktop computers, since they're harder to carry and easily breakable.

Last edited by Cippi : 08-29-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2008 at 01:42 AM   #11
Ruggedman

Howdo you put your name/room number on everything.

For example ill have my hamper and my bed-in-a-bag covers and all (sounds super *** but oh well lol) so as long as one of my items has the res/room # will i be alright?

Last edited by lorend : 08-30-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2008 at 02:07 AM   #12
Cippi

No, each individual item has to be labelled. Your stuff isn't necessarily going to be going up alone; chances are it will be mixed in with other people's luggage going to the same floor. Just put a piece of masking tape or an adhesive label on each bag with your name, building, and room number, and things will go a lot smoother.
Old 08-29-2008 at 06:49 AM   #13
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

this is random and kind of unrelated I guess, but my mom acidentally threw out that 2008/2009 sticker that goes on your student ID, so can I get another one somehwere?
Old 08-29-2008 at 08:03 AM   #14
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

You have to go to the Office of the Registrar or Mac Express office and tell them what happened. Since it's pretty much the same as losing your student card (and those bus passes have value!) they'll likely charge you $30 to replace it.
Old 08-29-2008 at 09:55 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

And if you don't like your picture, you might as well take another one