MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-In lorend Residence & Housing 57 09-04-2007 12:40 AM

Move-in day

Old 08-13-2008 at 07:21 PM   #1
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

Move-in day
do a lot of parents usually stay for a few hours to help move into the new room (setting up things, unpacking, etc) or do they usually just drop off stuff and leave? is there a time when they are allowed to stay until ?

i'm capable of unpacking myself but i think my parents will insist on staying to help lol.. i was just wondering when they're supposed to leave
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:38 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Parents can leave whenever they want.. it's especially common for those coming from far away/without friends there to have their parents leave later. My parents and my friends' parents didnt stick around for long since Mac is practically around the corner from where I live (Oakville).

Typically, I remember seeing people going off with their parents to go around the Mac Campus.. venture into Hamilton, etc. For alot of parents, this may be their oldest kid, so they'll likely stick around. And trust me, it takes some time to unpack :p

Last edited by samantha__ : 08-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:46 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Tell me about it... I still have unpacked boxes from moving houses... That was in May >.>
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:05 PM   #4
Awill

Liked: 0 Times

Yee it will be good have ur parents there to help you move in
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:07 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I just realised how my sentence didn't make sense. I meant to say, "I still have packed boxes from moving houses" XD
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:11 PM   #6
mandee08

lol ok. what am i supposed to do with all the fragile things that those helpers cant move? like computers? i dont wanna wait in line for my keys while carrying those things.. do people normally park first and then get their keys? and then come back for the rest of the stuff later? like what usually happens
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:27 PM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

Park then get your keys and bring your computer/fragile things later Like you said, it's a pain to carry that stuff around when you can't even get into your room lol

mandee08 says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:36 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Oh you know whats even easier.. letting your parents park while you get the keys.. makes things faster for you

Old 08-13-2008 at 11:49 PM   #9
Cippi

Yep, it's encouraged that you go and get your keys while your parents park (the reps will tell you this as they're unloading your car). It's a fair trek from the parking lots back to the residences, so hopefully you'll have picked up everything you need by the time they get back. You could also tell your parents to bring your computer with them while they're at it :p

As for the original question, parents often stay for a couple of hours to help get things unpacked - that's pretty much the norm. Some students can't wait to get rid of them and want them out ASAP (so they can enjoy their newfound freedom...?), but it's perfectly normal for them to be around for awhile. Usually your CA or WW reps will come around and tell you when the floor will be meeting again for that evening's events - it's usually around 5-6 pm, but varies by residence. By that time, your parents should have said their tearful goodbyes

Awill, mandee08, tristic all say thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 08-13-2008 at 11:56 PM   #10
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

So I just have a small question...Are we by any chance allowed to move in to our residence at an earlier day?
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:19 AM   #11
Cippi

In theory, yes, but it has to be approved by Housing, and there has to be a really good reason. They'll also take the opportunity to charge you more for the privilege. Usually, the only (non-staff) people allowed to move in early are athletes who start their training camps before the school year starts. I would love to point you to the official policy and person to contact within Housing, but it would appear that their website is currently down. I'll drop in an update when it springs back to life.
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:20 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I plan to go eat lunch with my parents after moving in, any good suggestions in Hamilton?
Old 08-14-2008 at 06:58 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Niche.

It's on King street in Westdale just off of Sterling.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-14-2008 at 08:10 AM   #14
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

If you like an original restuarant, Niche is good as Danielle just said, but I like the chain restuarants like Boston Pizza and east side marios on Main Street just west of the university.
Old 08-14-2008 at 09:13 AM   #15
katie_batt

lol ok, everyone who moves in on their moving day actually sleeps there that night right? because my mom is absolutely convinced that we just move my stuff in, but I can come sleep at home. lol shes crazy and I dont think she wants me moving out at all, so she's like "Oh but you'll be the only one sleeping there that night" and I'm like mom, no, everyone moves in and LIVES there! thats the idea of moving in...anyway, please convince her that I need to actually sleep in my new home! lol