MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM
Move-In lorend Residence & Housing 57 09-04-2007 12:40 AM

What's Move In Like?

Old 08-24-2010 at 02:53 AM   #1
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

What's Move In Like?
Hey,
What's move in like? Do our parents get to come check out the place, or do we just get our stuff from the car and move in ourselves?

I'm moving into Les Prince, and I was wondering if there was any place to keep a suitcase or boxes?
Old 08-24-2010 at 06:55 AM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You will hardly be moving in Most of your stuff will be moved in for you by Rez reps, faculty reps... You'll just do the fragile stuff.

YAY!
Old 08-24-2010 at 07:49 AM   #3
mduchnik

Liked: 2 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3.html?t=29983

this is the link
that provides a deeper description about everything move-in related

tells you all the details
such as picking up keys...
LABEL your boxes..
and such

enjoy!
Old 08-24-2010 at 09:17 AM   #4
oakridge_444

Liked: 0 Times

and yea most parents stay with their kids for a while and help them get their room figured out before they set them free
Old 08-24-2010 at 09:38 AM   #5
BDiplock63

Get ready to be a little bit Rowdy .. R-O-W-D-Y!!
Your gonna love move in.
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:24 AM   #6
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

I'm actually pretty scared, I hate attracting attention to myself and people looking at me. My mom being there won't add any reassurance to that. Ahh, this is not going to be fun.

DMe3, mduchnik like this.
Old 08-24-2010 at 11:11 AM   #7
Prasha Bala

Liked: 1 Time

Move in
I moved into Mathews last year. It was really fun. There will be poeple at your res waiting to help you move your stuff into your room. While your get registered and get your keys, they'll move everything in. They really make you feel welcome. I'm not sure it this is the case with other residences, but for Mathews, they made you this chant that all your helpers sang before they moved in your stuff. It can be a bit intimidating because you don't know whats going on, but its great! There will be people all over campus directing you where to go. Just remember what room your moving into!
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:02 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, we got a song/chant thing too

Basically, be prepared for hyperactive people in colourful rep suits singing and carrying all of the non-fragile stuff up to your room for you. You go to either Commons or Keyes (depending on which quad you're in), and get your keys, then you go up to your room, find everything sitting outside your door, and you just have to bring it into the room yourself. It's surprisingly well-organized--my parents (my dad especially) were fully expecting disaster + chaos, and they were pleasantly surprised.
Your parents can definitely come with you--I brought my parents & two little sisters, and they all helped me unpack super-quickly.
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:31 PM   #9
BDiplock63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
I'm actually pretty scared, I hate attracting attention to myself and people looking at me. My mom being there won't add any reassurance to that. Ahh, this is not going to be fun.
I know what your feeling Remaz, it feels intimidating and overwhelming. But don't fret too much about attracting attention, the reps will be chanting at everyone -- you'll be just like everyone else . And in terms of parents, I had the same fear though it will be okay, all the students moving in will be so focused on their own nerves and to do's that anything that occurs around you won't be a highlight . Be excited, your one of us !!!
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:41 PM   #10
LivLucy

When you guys mention non-fragile stuff that is like your laptop? Do you just keep that with you while you get your keys and what not?
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:47 PM   #11
LivLucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduchnik View Post
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3.html?t=29983

this is the link
that provides a deeper description about everything move-in related

tells you all the details
such as picking up keys...
LABEL your boxes..
and such

enjoy!
I clicked on the link but I am not sure where the info for move-in is. :s
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:56 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLucy View Post
When you guys mention non-fragile stuff that is like your laptop? Do you just keep that with you while you get your keys and what not?
Yes, keep all valuables and electronics on you. Any glassware, ceramics (if you are bringing any, but I suggest you go with plastic) as well as laptops, cameras, etc...

Obviously the reps aren't trying to break your stuff, but accidents happen.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:18 PM   #13
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yes, keep all valuables and electronics on you. Any glassware, ceramics (if you are bringing any, but I suggest you go with plastic) as well as laptops, cameras, etc...

Obviously the reps aren't trying to break your stuff, but accidents happen.
so youll have to carry a bag of your fragile stuff with you to get your keys and stuff? or would you carry it up to your room first and just leave it with all the stuff the reps brought up?
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:20 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirs View Post
so youll have to carry a bag of your fragile stuff with you to get your keys and stuff? or would you carry it up to your room first and just leave it with all the stuff the reps brought up?
It's up to you. I had my mom & sisters bring up fragile stuff, while I went to get my keys and my dad parked the car.

kirsten..! says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:21 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirs View Post
I would personally bring it with you. You don't want to leave any valuables lying around. Plus, your stuff won't be moved right away but by the time you get your keys and macpass everything should be in front of your room.

If you are bring glassware and ceramics, you can always SUPER protect it with bubble wrap, paper, foam peanuts, clothes, etc...

kirsten..! says thanks to jhan523 for this post.