MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Move In Like? TheBrickWall First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 106 09-03-2010 03:12 PM
Move-in Day! Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 12:55 PM
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
Move-in day mandee08 Residence & Housing 23 08-19-2008 03:38 PM

Move-In

Old 08-23-2007 at 12:10 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Move-In
Here is the info you need for move-in days and times: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/PDF%20Fil...er%20l r2.pdf

Remember to LABEL EVERYTHING

And to MOVE IN AT THE TIME SPECIFIED!

Also, don't argue with the people moving you in. If they say ___ is not allowed, they're not trying to bother you, it's really not allowed.

Please no boxes with bricks. We had that once. It wasn't funny.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-23-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2007 at 12:14 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Also, as long as everything is labelled correctly it will get to your room. And we ask you if you have labelled everything before we take anything out of your car. And before your load goes on the trailer it needs to be properly labelled. No label, no move-in.

Sometimes there is a bit of a backlog, so it takes a little bit of time to get all of your boxes to your room. And yes, we realize you may have gotten all but one, but we are moving in x hundred other students, so that particular box just may not have gone up with the rest.

Sit down, un-pack the rest of your boxes, and chill out. The system Mac uses is extremely effective, and everything gets to it's rightful room.

And don't bitch about not using the elevator. We're doing all the heavy lifting, and all the hard work. The least you can do is use your legs and take the stairs.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2007 at 12:24 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Here are some tips of items to bring (and not to) from Housing and Conference Services: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Tips.htm

Here is the list that MacInsiders has compiled as well: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1722 2 and http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...to+ residence

Old 08-23-2007 at 01:29 AM   #4
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

what is a "power bar with surge protector"?
Old 08-23-2007 at 01:30 AM   #5
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Great post. You'll get asked A LOT during move-in if your stuff's labelled, so again, be sure it is :-p

I'll just add that there sometimes is some inital resistance from the people who are moving in (or their families) when they get told to wait in a certain line with their cars, or to unload all their stuff onto this spot here, or to let the Welcome Week reps deliver everything to their rooms while they get their keys. You have to realize that there is a very particular system that Mac follows for move-in that has been tweaked over many years to make it the smoothest possible. Moving in 3500 people over just 16 hours is a difficult thing to do, and so when we ask you to wait in line for a few minutes, for example, just know that if it was a free-for-all, you'd probably be waiting for hours instead. I honestly can't imagine what would happen if everyone just showed up and had to move all their own stuff in...that would be utter chaos.

Anyway, go with the flow, follow the directions, and you'll be moved in in no time. Oh, and please read the move-in guide in your residence handbook - once I asked a car if their boxes were labelled and a mother snapped at me "No! Of course not! How were we supposed to know that?" When I said it was ALL OVER the move-in guide, she said "Oh please, you actually expected us to READ that?!" Errrr...yeah. She's lucky she showed up on the right day... Anyway, moral of the story, don't be like that :-p
Old 08-23-2007 at 01:33 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Was I there with you when that happened? Or also unlucky? In short, please don't be THAT person.

Yes, READ what Mac gives you. They do it for a reason. And it's not to kill trees.

Power Bar with Surge Protectors: http://www.compusmart.com/Default.aspx?Cat=374

Old 08-23-2007 at 07:57 AM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Okay, just so I'm clear on this, we don't move in any of our own stuff? Like I've got a luggage and I'm not going to write all over it, could I just carry that up whenever I get my keys?
Old 08-23-2007 at 08:34 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope. The only stuff you're responsible for moving in are the things we're not allowed to: ie expensive items like computer towers and moniters.

Just put your information on tape. And stick the tape to your luggage.

Old 08-23-2007 at 03:12 PM   #9
Kevin

Can we bring in a mirror like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...mSearch=tru e

And also do people pack their things in boxes, or do they also use bags, luggage, etc.
Old 08-23-2007 at 04:24 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If to hang it up you need to make holes, then no. Basically, the rule is if you need to alter the wall, it's not allowed. Otherwise yes, you can bring it.

You can pack your stuff however you want. It's a HELL of a lot easier (on us) for you to go to the LCBO/grocery store and put everything in boxes. You can use luggage too if you like, but there's no point in buying new stuff. I wasn't sure what you meant by bags though...but if you mean shopping bags or something...I wouldn't suggest it as you're going to have LOTS which makes everything a HUGE pain.

Old 08-23-2007 at 06:33 PM   #11
Kevin

how would I bring the mirror for you guys to handle...just bring the mirror itself with labels on back?
Old 08-23-2007 at 08:06 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Label it as you would normally.

There's a pretty good chance you'd have to bring it up on your own, though (there are things we do not handle -- mostly things that can easily break and/or are really expensive). I'm not too sure, I've never handled a mirror before.

Old 08-23-2007 at 11:14 PM   #13
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

isnt a power bar the same thing as an extension cord?
Old 08-23-2007 at 11:30 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope. An extension cord is a long electrical cord. A power bar has multiple outlets.

Old 08-24-2007 at 08:48 AM   #15
steff_panda

Liked: 0 Times

If you have like a back-pack with ID and expensive stuff or whatever, are you allowed to keep that with you?