MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 1AA3 - The Longer Genre eleduc 1st Year Course Reviews 29 06-20-2016 07:51 AM
List your favourite PC games (any genre) Kendoon Gaming 78 11-06-2010 10:03 PM
Some of the Best Movies Just Aren't From Around Here mike_302 Movies & Television 33 04-15-2010 01:46 AM
Baw Movies lawleypop Movies & Television 69 12-15-2009 02:25 AM
English shorter genre sumo1991 Academics 15 06-23-2009 10:24 AM

Movies by Genre

Old 12-26-2010 at 05:42 PM   #16
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Horror:

The Mist - Not particularly scary, but an excellent story and a tragic conclusion, it's usually categorized as a horror movie and it's worth watching

Human Centipede - Not particularly scary, but psychologically disturbing. I've watched the Saw/Hostel type movies and they do nothing for me, this movie on the other hand actually made me squeamish.

1408 - Best horror movie I've watched in a long time. It's actually somewhat scary and a little disturbing, the plot is solid and it's among my favourite movies from my late teens. It's worth picking up if you've never seen it.

Word of warning, all three of these movies can be a bit hit and miss, but that's true of all horror movies.
The mist is terrible -- IIRC, the acting was absolutely horrid and there was one "scary" moment that I deemed effective.

Human centipede is horrendously boring, as well. The acting is pretty lame, and the japanese guy in it makes me want to commit suicide everytime I hear him scream. If that's psychologically disturbing, then yes it's effective. THe movie was so boring that I skipped parts to where something was actually happening other than them screaming and him going upstairs and then back down everytime they tried to escape.

If you wanna see a decent thriller/horror, watch High Tension (2003). It's in french, so be prepared for subz.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-26-2010 at 05:50 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Bon Cop Bad Cop
Genre: Comedy?

One of my favorite movies ever. It's especially funny if you speak both languages and don't need subtitles.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-26-2010 at 06:19 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Indie/Obscure

Brick
Rocket Science
Cashback
Moon
All I wanted to do while watching rocket science was punch that stupid stuttering emo douchebag kid in the face.
Old 12-26-2010 at 06:33 PM   #19
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Bruce Willis is a ghost, he's been dead the whole time LOLOLOL

Old 12-26-2010 at 06:46 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Just watched The Last Exorcism... it is MESSED up!
Old 12-26-2010 at 08:01 PM   #21
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Two really good movies I've watched in the last couple days:

In Bruges (Dark Comedy)
Snatch (Comedy)
Old 12-26-2010 at 11:09 PM   #22
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjdg View Post
The mist is terrible -- IIRC, the acting was absolutely horrid and there was one "scary" moment that I deemed effective.

Human centipede is horrendously boring, as well. The acting is pretty lame, and the japanese guy in it makes me want to commit suicide everytime I hear him scream. If that's psychologically disturbing, then yes it's effective. THe movie was so boring that I skipped parts to where something was actually happening other than them screaming and him going upstairs and then back down everytime they tried to escape.
Quote:
Word of warning, all three of these movies can be a bit hit and miss, but that's true of all horror movies.
Anyway, I suggested Human centipede mainly because it's considerably better than Saw/Hostel and the like and stands as a good example of what that sub-genre of horror should be like, the movie itself is decidedly hit and miss (but again, all horror movies are).

Quote:
If you wanna see a decent thriller/horror, watch High Tension (2003). It's in french, so be prepared for subz.
If High Tension is the movie I think it is, it is a hell of a lot worse than any of the movies I recommended (but I guess logically consistent stories and good acting aren't what everyone is looking for in their horror movies...).
Old 12-27-2010 at 01:21 AM   #23
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Anyway, I suggested Human centipede mainly because it's considerably better than Saw/Hostel and the like and stands as a good example of what that sub-genre of horror should be like, the movie itself is decidedly hit and miss (but again, all horror movies are).

If High Tension is the movie I think it is, it is a hell of a lot worse than any of the movies I recommended (but I guess logically consistent stories and good acting aren't what everyone is looking for in their horror movies...).
The human centipede is indeed a hit or miss. It tried to be something it's not, with an eerie setting in a foreign land. However, it was way too slow, not that slow is a bad thing, but in this sense, it lost its effectiveness, and became horribly dull. It failed to leave me on the edge of my seat, it actually drove me into the wall, and now there's a massive imprint of my body.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

Alright, you're (apparently) not one for high tension, but if you don't like these (moreso the first 3), please say so, allowing me to smash my face off of a bed of nails: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), The Haunting (1963), Psycho (1960), The Shining (1980)

Last edited by andrewjdg : 12-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2010 at 01:44 AM   #24
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

The movies I watched this past few days are Resident Evil Afterlife, Salt, Eat Pray love (do yourself a favour and DON'T watch it), Coco Chanel (The one iwth Sherley MacLaine as Chanel), Beowulf, Land of the Dead
Old 12-27-2010 at 02:12 AM   #25
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
The movies I watched this past few days are Resident Evil Afterlife, Salt, Eat Pray love (do yourself a favour and DON'T watch it), Coco Chanel (The one iwth Sherley MacLaine as Chanel), Beowulf, Land of the Dead

Wow, did you intentionally pick movies that got mixed or awful reviews? Haha, i don't think there is a single movie in that list that i would ever recommend, Beowulf and Salt were especially boring and tacky.

Resident Evil: Afterlife, would have been a decent action flick if it wasn't supposed to be based on a pre-existing story that it has effectively butchered beyond all recognition. I mean, the protagonist in the Resident Evil movies... was never in any of the games... wtf is that?

Side Note: You guys should definitely check out "Waltz With Bashir" its probably one of the most intriguing stories coupled with a unique art style. It's a foreign film but the Israeli language sounds oddly beautiful and articulate w/ the dialogue. Definitely worth a view.

Last edited by mattatmac : 12-27-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2010 at 03:15 AM   #26
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Wow, did you intentionally pick movies that got mixed or awful reviews? Haha, i don't think there is a single movie in that list that i would ever recommend, Beowulf and Salt were especially boring and tacky.

Resident Evil: Afterlife, would have been a decent action flick if it wasn't supposed to be based on a pre-existing story that it has effectively butchered beyond all recognition. I mean, the protagonist in the Resident Evil movies... was never in any of the games... wtf is that?

Side Note: You guys should definitely check out "Waltz With Bashir" its probably one of the most intriguing stories coupled with a unique art style. It's a foreign film but the Israeli language sounds oddly beautiful and articulate w/ the dialogue. Definitely worth a view.
I didn't purposely pick the movies that got mixed or awful reviews. I admit the majority of the movies I watched this break either sucks or is just ok, not awesome. That's why I read this thread to get some ideas as to what are awesome movies.
Old 12-27-2010 at 04:50 AM   #27
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Alright, you're (apparently) not one for high tension, but if you don't like these (moreso the first 3), please say so, allowing me to smash my face off of a bed of nails: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), The Haunting (1963), Psycho (1960), The Shining (1980)
I haven't watched them, but I know them by reputation (At least three of them are basically ingrained in culture at this point). I doubt any of them are bad, I was just sticking to newer movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
I didn't purposely pick the movies that got mixed or awful reviews. I admit the majority of the movies I watched this break either sucks or is just ok, not awesome. That's why I read this thread to get some ideas as to what are awesome movies.
This year as had some pretty bad movies, outside of animated flicks (How to Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3) the only movies worth recommending this year are Inception, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Black Swan, and The Social Network.
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:21 AM   #28
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

lol @ those being ****ed up movies

Watch Salo or August Undergrounds Mordum, if you want to see ****ed up shit.
Old 12-27-2010 at 09:23 AM   #29
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Just watched Devil and Kick-Ass, both were decent. Devil was pretty good, nothing scary, but fun to figure out who the killer is. And Kick-Ass - decent, fun sort of movie, wasnt special in anyway, but just enjoyable and relaxing
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:06 AM   #30
x.N.x

Liked: 3 Times

How to train your dragon is really cute! And relaxing =)

Bachelor of Technology II || Process Automation