MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sum up 2009 Nino General Discussion 30 01-01-2010 11:09 AM
Who Do You Want To See At Mac? (2009) lorend MacInsiders Announcements 32 12-18-2009 03:56 PM
MSU Day (2009) lorend MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-14-2009 11:15 PM
Welcome Day 2009 at Mac crucif3x MacInsiders Announcements 19 08-26-2009 11:09 PM
Welcome Day 2009 twitterbird First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-30-2009 06:35 PM

MSU 2009 Finances

Old 02-10-2009 at 09:25 PM   #31
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

Quick question, who involved in this thread, or who has written in another thread recently regarding MSU finances, elections or anything else MSU related is not part of the SRA, works for the MSU or volunteers with them?

I just wanna know the extent to which the general student population is participating.
McMaster University
Old 02-10-2009 at 09:29 PM   #32
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

working or volunteering with the msu knocks out a lot of people :|

I'm sure people like my fellow marmor staff could probably still count towards your tally...
Old 02-10-2009 at 09:31 PM   #33
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say none. SRA members continue to comment on this topic because they are the first line between university affairs and their students. Perhaps everyone should start inviting their friends or colleagues to MacInsiders in order to get a different opinion on some issues.
Old 02-10-2009 at 09:52 PM   #34
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post

I found it interesting that after posting so much about their commitment to Transparency and Accountability that both Mr. Finlay and Mr. McIntyre would say “Thank You” to Lorend for posting, “transparency and accountability are the lamest buzz words ever.”

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2063 6
The words accountability and transparency can be used inappropriately in both ways. Whether its the Student Union saying they are accountable and transparent when they actually aren't, or the students complaining that we aren't accountable and transparent enough when we are. The SRA isn't perfect. I think that also comes down to the way the elections carry out - it's all name recognition, and as such if someone wants it on their resume, they just have to campaign hard and they'll make it in. However, the SRA does have many passionate members that are trying to do the best for their students, but sometimes the whole system is hard to change without a commitment from all involved. I think that the SRA could do more to both be accountable and transparent, but that some individual members are doing their absolute best - keep in mind that these are volunteer positions, and many of us end up spending over 15 hours a week just to keep on top of our committee work to improve the operations/services/advocacy of the MSU. The MSU could be more transparent, but if a student wanted information, I believe some of the onus is on them. We make efforts through the Sil, the website, the radio show, classroom presentations and many other outlets to try and do so, but sometimes it requires students to actually be interested and listen and then they'll see the information is there. I agree minutes aren't up fast enough, and things need be rearranged to be even more transparent, but the MSU needs more staff members for that, which means more money, which would require increased student fees. Our two administrative assistants have a lot more to do than just minutes, and minutes for an 8 hour meeting aren't quick to put together (although I am going to suggest at least posting motions within a day or two in order to get at least some information out). All MSU staff already put in a significant amount more hours than they are paid for, and even that makes it difficult to accomplish everything. Please, rather than continually criticizing - make some useful suggestions - or even better - help to change the mentality of the SRA Generals and get people to vote for better reasons than "I recognize their name, they must be good". So in that sense, I do believe accountability and transparency are buzz words, because they are thrown around by both sides in an unconstructive manner.
Old 02-10-2009 at 11:23 PM   #35
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

TLDR,

I have nothing to do with the sra or msu,

and think it's boring that the sra/msu pay raises are even a topic of debate (it should just be obvious that they arn't trying to raise their future salaries). Shouldn't we be debating their ideas for fun around the university? Do they expect the other 87% of students to care about this student council game?

We could have organized such a huge snowfort last week.... :(
Old 02-11-2009 at 04:46 PM   #36
Matt Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps2health View Post
We could have organized such a huge snowfort last week.... :(
You say "we" but I'd really like to know who was going to plan this event with midterms, formals and other events on campus. There are lots of fun things to do on campus such as the games room, clubs, or any of the numerous campus events that are held at quarters 3 times a week. Not all things that are "fun" have to cost money, but they still require "planning".
Old 02-11-2009 at 05:11 PM   #37
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
You say "we" but I'd really like to know who was going to plan this event with midterms, formals and other events on campus. There are lots of fun things to do on campus such as the games room, clubs, or any of the numerous campus events that are held at quarters 3 times a week. Not all things that are "fun" have to cost money, but they still require "planning".

none of that BS you mentioned is even close to fun. games room? wtf? clubs? have you seen those terrible things/? (and why do we have so many, it's like mcmaster is trying to divide students) Midterms, formals? that gets in the way of free play? I picked the wrong place to come to.

does anyone know a university that isn't about buying a degree, and sitting in boring classes for years to get it?

That Ottawa prof is the only hope right now.

have you guy's ever met the admins of this university????

"HEY CAN THE MODS TELL ME IF I NEED TO EDIT THIS B4 DELETING IT"

Last edited by kokosas : 02-11-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2009 at 05:41 PM   #38
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Midterms, formals? that gets in the way of free play? I picked the wrong place to come to.

does anyone know a university that isn't about buying a degree, and sitting in boring classes for years to get it?
http://www.ehow.com/how_2067243_go-clown-college.html

kokosas says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 05:44 PM   #39
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
nah, I'm no good at that, just need a university with less squares, you people are like parents already or something.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:03 PM   #40
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
nah, I'm no good at that, just need a university with less squares, you people are like parents already or something.
I think you are thinking of preschool.

summer says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:13 PM   #41
Matt Wright

There are tons of great events at Mac. Perhaps if you came to a few you would see that. Better yet, don't come; why ruin perfectly fine events with your presence. Continue blogging and complaining, while the rest of us are getting involved with groups on campus and trying to create an inclusive atmosphere.

For the rest of people enjoying this thread, if you have any events you'd like to see happen at Mac, feel free to visit the campus events group on facebook and give suggestions.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:13 PM   #42
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I think you are thinking of preschool.
hmm never went, I had a lot better time in kindergarten than here though thats obvious though.

So Rohan, is this just the way school is gonna be? This is it? Are you happy?
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:15 PM   #43
summer

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
clubs? have you seen those terrible things/? (and why do we have so many, it's like mcmaster is trying to divide students)
STUDENTS write up proposals and form clubs that they are interested in having. McMaster has nothing to do with 'dividing' students into clubs. Do you know ANYTHING about this school??

Julie Ella, steps2health all say thanks to summer for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:15 PM   #44
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
hmm never went, I had a lot better time in kindergarten than here though thats obvious though.

So Rohan, is this just the way school is gonna be? This is it? Are you happy?
I love my school. I tend to worry less about what goes on, and more about who I hang out with because I tend to be able to the make my own party wherever I am.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:16 PM   #45
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
There are tons of great events at Mac. Perhaps if you came to a few you would see that. Better yet, don't come; why ruin perfectly fine events with your presence. Continue blogging and complaining, while the rest of us are getting involved with groups on campus and trying to create an inclusive atmosphere.

For the rest of people enjoying this thread, if you have any events you'd like to see happen at Mac, feel free to visit the campus events group on facebook and give suggestions.

you sound like a Dad! and what a Dad.

if you have any events you'd like to see me come to, let me know lol