MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
SRA Science January By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-27-2010 10:15 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

MSU election techniques

Old 01-22-2010 at 06:33 PM   #46
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
who ever made the posters with the markers to write on them... i commend you. they are awesome!
I think it's Casey Park.

Although, I haven't seen too many serious answers yet.

ie: helping people in sri lanka or w/e. just glimpsed it on my way out of the student center.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-22-2010 at 07:00 PM   #47
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
who ever made the posters with the markers to write on them... i commend you. they are awesome!
Let's give credit where it's actually due...

Last year this guy names James Lim ran as a joke candidate. Most of his posters were blank white paper with a single random quote in the middle, and he explained that he wanted people to write on the posters and every day he would comment on it.

And he did. On his Facebook wall he would make random musings about the stuff people had written on his posters. THAT was inspired work.

Casey Park's posters are knockoffs. My favourite ones of his are the black ones with pink test asking for campaign points... the message seems a bit mixed...

andrew22, ladyh all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 01-22-2010 at 07:47 PM   #48
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Last year this guy names James Lim ran as a joke candidate.
I don't think I understand the distinction between a joke candidate and every other candidate... seems to be one big, consolidated joke.

michelle, samtheman89 like this.
Old 01-22-2010 at 08:00 PM   #49
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Given that for the first 3 years I was in Kinesiology, and for some unknown reason I wasn't allowed to vote (since I was technically in the faculty of social sciences...but not on 'the list'), I stopped giving a crap many years ago.

Prince William this and that. Something about a monorail, something else about busses not running through campus anymore...etc.
Old 01-23-2010 at 09:50 AM   #50
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

one thing that I think some of these potential presidents need to do is visit more class rooms, I've only seen 3 of them so far (and 3/5 classes are in MDCL so these are large student groups they're missing).

having a website, being willing to 1 on 1 talk or holding info sessions are nice but does not get your name out there if no one recognizes you.

comming to classes and giving a brief and frank plug outlining your ideas isone of the best ways to reach people. much better than posters posed around campus.

say what you will of some of the stand up acts that have been on display but students are rather busy/lazy so they are the ones more likely to be remembered when the ballot is cast.
Old 01-23-2010 at 10:00 AM   #51
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
one thing that I think some of these potential presidents need to do is visit more class rooms, I've only seen 3 of them so far (and 3/5 classes are in MDCL so these are large student groups they're missing).

having a website, being willing to 1 on 1 talk or holding info sessions are nice but does not get your name out there if no one recognizes you.

comming to classes and giving a brief and frank plug outlining your ideas isone of the best ways to reach people. much better than posters posed around campus.

say what you will of some of the stand up acts that have been on display but students are rather busy/lazy so they are the ones more likely to be remembered when the ballot is cast.
I completely agree! I have been doing class talks every hour, sometimes two in an hour if I can make it work! Also I have been doing my own class talks. No one wants to see others speaking on behalf of them, and I feel it is important to do this. Even though I get to know students better during my info sessions, Class talks are a good way for me to be upfront and honest so students can get to know me, even though sadly I can't get to know everyone in the class.

That being said, I have hit a few MDCL classes, but also focus on some of the smaller classes too. Some of the smaller programmes or 2nd 3rd year courses which are much smaller seem to get left out every year because candidates try to talk to big classes to get to the most people. My philosophy is I want to get to the most people too, but I want to make sure I make an attempt to get to a diverse group of programmes and years.

I hope I was one of the ones who came to your class. If not I hope in the near future I will be able to visit and tell you and your classmates why I am the best candidate to be President.

McIntyre likes this.
Old 01-23-2010 at 11:23 AM   #52
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I completely support creativity when it comes to campaigning as long as the points make it across. It's good to try different campaigning techniques every once in a while. Normal class talks aren't going to be interesting most of the time and students in lecture halls may not even pay attention. If anything, some of these techniques are attention grabbers.

Also, by using multiple unique techniques, you can try to earn votes from different groups of people. Remember, there is a large number of students that won't remember the candidates' platform points but will remember the candidate(s) that stood out during class talks. Although that really shouldn't be the basis upon which students should vote during presidential elections, it often ends up happening.

Last edited by Nino : 01-23-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2010 at 02:00 PM   #53
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I really don't understand two candidates' ideas (or perhaps one who decided the other had a good idea...) of taking their time away from their studies and figuring out which student issues to study and cover for their campaign to make a completely unrelated video...

Do they really think we'll fall for that?
Old 02-02-2010 at 02:04 PM   #54
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I really don't understand two candidates' ideas (or perhaps one who decided the other had a good idea...) of taking their time away from their studies and figuring out which student issues to study and cover for their campaign to make a completely unrelated video...

Do they really think we'll fall for that?
I'm guessing a lot of moronic McMaster students will fall for it, sadly. "I want to vote for the guy who was singing Miley Cyrus songs and made that funny video!" I actually think the two candidates who are using these gimmicks are the most popular candidates so...McMaster is screwed for yet another year.
Old 02-02-2010 at 06:58 PM   #55
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I'm guessing a lot of moronic McMaster students will fall for it, sadly. "I want to vote for the guy who was singing Miley Cyrus songs and made that funny video!" I actually think the two candidates who are using these gimmicks are the most popular candidates so...McMaster is screwed for yet another year.
I hope the Miley Cyrus candidate does not win.

If people think the MSU is a joke now they'll definitely be laughing if Casey Park gets elected.

michelle says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:16 PM   #56
Kathy2
Elite Member

I think Kieran is the only candidate who hasn't resorted to some gimmick (Miley Cyrus songs, Mary had a litttle lamb, holding student centre doors open and raising the heating costs for MUSC - this really bugged me).

Kieran came to my class today, said his name, the problems in the MSU and how he planned to fix them. No gimmicks, no wasted time. I liked that.

huzaifa47, michelle all say thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Ian Finlay likes this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:39 PM   #57
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
holding student centre doors open and raising the heating costs for MUSC - this really bugged me.
I just wanted to say that we have been doing our best to keep the doors closed when students aren't coming through. We only keep the doors constantly open during between-class rushes to get people through, and in that case, both sets of doors would be anyway. That area gets cold between classes without us holding the doors open during these times. We recognized these concerns from the first day and are definitely doing our best to keep them closed as often as possible.

We wanted a non-invasive way to get my name and URL out there, and felt it was more effective than going to too many classes and giving the same message over and over, cutting into lecture time.
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:41 PM   #58
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
I just wanted to say that we have been doing our best to keep the doors closed when students aren't coming through. We only keep the doors constantly open during between-class rushes to get people through, and in that case, both sets of doors would be anyway. That area gets cold between classes without us holding the doors open during these times. We recognized these concerns from the first day and are definitely doing our best to keep them closed as often as possible.

We wanted a non-invasive way to get my name and URL out there, and felt it was more effective than going to too many classes and giving the same message over and over, cutting into lecture time.
:/ I don't know, I've seen them being held open when there was like no one around. Maybe it was just one random downtime between classes, but it hasn't looked super busy to me. Even though you're not wasting lecture time, which I appreciate, I still see it as a gimmick.
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:53 PM   #59
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
:/ I don't know, I've seen them being held open when there was like no one around. Maybe it was just one random downtime between classes, but it hasn't looked super busy to me. Even though you're not wasting lecture time, which I appreciate, I still see it as a gimmick.
I apologize if that was the case, we are trying, but we do get carried away sometimes and leave them open, but we are definitely trying to keep them closed whenever possible. Thankfully, the heat only really escapes when both sets of doors are open, and we are only holding the outer set. I'll remind the volunteers to be diligent though.

It definitely IS a gimmick, I would be the first to admit it, it would be extremely silly for me to think otherwise, and I have already admitted to this in my thread. But this IS a campaign and I need to market myself, and this is one of the more seemingly effective methods of how. Keiran's team also has some gimmicks too (not to bash them, I like the free sweets they've been handing out).
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:54 PM   #60
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I hardly thinking holding doors open is a gimmick, by that criteria you'd have to count Kieran's team sitting by the Teriakyi place in MUSC with their red table cloth as a gimmick too.

The singing and other shit are lame, but holding open doors and hanging out in MUSC are just a good way to be available to students and get yourself out there.

At the very least at least holding doors open at least helps people, as opposed to annoying crap like singing Miley Cyrus.