MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
SRA Science January By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-27-2010 10:15 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

MSU election techniques

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:04 PM   #61
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I hardly thinking holding doors open is a gimmick, by that criteria you'd have to count Kieran's team sitting by the Teriakyi place in MUSC with their red table cloth as a gimmick too.

The singing and other shit are lame, but holding open doors and hanging out in MUSC are just a good way to be available to students and get yourself out there.

At the very least at least holding doors open at least helps people, as opposed to annoying crap like singing Miley Cyrus.
I don't see how wearing/using red is a gimmick. It's so that people know who his team is if they want to talk or ask questions.

I don't know what these "sweets" are about? The only time I've seen Kieran is talking to classrooms, and all he did was talk and leave.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. You draw it at Miley Cyrus songs, I draw it at holding doors. I'm definately not trying to make a big deal out of it, I just said that I liked how Kieran talked to my class and left.
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:09 PM   #62
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't see how wearing/using red is a gimmick. It's so that people know who his team is if they want to talk or ask questions.

I don't know what these "sweets" are about? The only time I've seen Kieran is talking to classrooms, and all he did was talk and leave.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. You draw it at Miley Cyrus songs, I draw it at holding doors. I'm definately not trying to make a big deal out of it, I just said that I liked how Kieran talked to my class and left.
That was essentially my point. The holding the door's open thing is Ash's teams way of doing the exact same thing. How is it different, out of curiosity? Kieran's team hangs by the Made in Japan joint, Ash's team hangs by the doors.

I'm not anti-Kieran, he and Ash are my Top 2 candidates that I will be going out to the poll to vote for. I'm just curious as to why you considering holding doors to be a gimmick?
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:09 PM   #63
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:

Fair enough.

They have been handing out some cinna-buns and similar things from their table in the MUSC. I gladly suggest you go get some, they're pretty good
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:13 PM   #64
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
Fair enough.

They have been handing out some cinna-buns and similar things from their table in the MUSC. I gladly suggest you go get some, they're pretty good
Kieran's team has cinna-buns?

Well then, I might have to rank him #1 on my preferential ballot in that case.

Maegs, michelle like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:18 PM   #65
ash0000

Quote:

They did one day, one of his team members made some mini cinnamon buns (not the cinna-bon brand)

:( I hope I dont lose you because no one on my campaign team understands how to bake properly. I'm a bbq, pan-fry, and slow-cook guy myself. I guess I could make some chilli. I make MEAN chilli.
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:37 PM   #66
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
They did one day, one of his team members made some mini cinnamon buns (not the cinna-bon brand)

:( I hope I dont lose you because no one on my campaign team understands how to bake properly. I'm a bbq, pan-fry, and slow-cook guy myself. I guess I could make some chilli. I make MEAN chilli.
Clearly when you picked out the 5 members of your campaign team you didn't have the foresight to pick at least one person with the skillz to bake delicious treats.

In all seriousness I'm ready for the vote tomorrow and I'll be putting a #1 next your name. Great campaign!
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:41 PM   #67
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:

Yeap one of the girls on our campaign team loves baking! We have had cinnabuns and cupcakes we were offering to anyone who dropped by or for team members! People might even misconstrue that as a "gimmick" but that just our attempt to be welcoming!

As for the sitting near Teriyaki with a red table cloth, as Kathy said it was just an attempt to identify our campaign headquarters for anyone to visit us/ask questions/meet Kieran. Most of us advertised that red area on facebook & the website as a way for students to locate us.... :(

Another innovative thing we came up with is the daily weekday workshops in KTH 6-7 & 7-8 where we invited EVERYONE to show up, meet Kieran and critique the platform, submit ideas and hopefully join our team. That was an honest endeavor to reach out to people

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:41 PM   #68
ash0000

Thanks Stefanie
Old 02-02-2010
florencem.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:49 PM   #69
sew12
Elite Member

For the record I don't personally think the red table cloth, and campaign HQ and stuff are gimmicks. I was just noting that holding doors open is no more a gimmick than doing something like that. They're done for the same purposes.

Anyway I like both candidates and would be okay with either of them becoming MSU President, and only either of them of all 5. I personally have decided I think next year's president should be Ash, but Kieran would be my second choice.
Old 02-02-2010 at 08:59 PM   #70
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

who can?
Old 02-02-2010 at 09:01 PM   #71
sew12
Elite Member

Ash Can!

Well at least I think so, I'm hoping my fellow students do too.
Old 02-02-2010 at 09:08 PM   #72
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I definitely think the MSU would be in good hands next year with Ash, Kieran or Mary. I would be very concerned if Casey won, and Tauseef I believe has good intentions but I'm not sure he has a good understanding of the MSU and its operations.
Old 02-02-2010 at 09:11 PM   #73
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
That was essentially my point. The holding the door's open thing is Ash's teams way of doing the exact same thing. How is it different, out of curiosity? Kieran's team hangs by the Made in Japan joint, Ash's team hangs by the doors.

I'm not anti-Kieran, he and Ash are my Top 2 candidates that I will be going out to the poll to vote for. I'm just curious as to why you considering holding doors to be a gimmick?
How is singing Miley Cyrus different than holding open doors then? Kieran's team wears red so people know where they are, and they have food at their table for people who come to see them.
I just don't like when candidates go out of their way to go to students to do cheesey acts, like holding doors and singing songs.

Kieran and Ash are my "top 2" as well, so it's not that big of a deal. I just see the holding doors as a gimmick.
Old 02-02-2010 at 09:38 PM   #74
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
How is singing Miley Cyrus different than holding open doors then? Kieran's team wears red so people know where they are, and they have food at their table for people who come to see them.
I just don't like when candidates go out of their way to go to students to do cheesey acts, like holding doors and singing songs.

Kieran and Ash are my "top 2" as well, so it's not that big of a deal. I just see the holding doors as a gimmick.

Just to make it clear, the food was for people who were around the table, just fattening us up.... Carbs are needed for intense campaigning! haha. We didn't use them to get people to vote or anything, if you came by we would offer them! We also had cupcakes before! I haven't been able to get to the gym as much as I would like, and these cupcakes and cini buns are killing me!