MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy healthy food on campus? Strategy General Discussion 35 09-28-2010 04:43 PM
Gross poutine from Chip Wagon Kathy2 General Discussion 14 03-02-2010 10:00 PM
How to eat cheap & healthy? MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 07-29-2009 09:16 PM
Quarters Chip Window Open! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 7 09-05-2008 10:04 PM
New Theft Prevention Initiative Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-04-2008 09:12 AM

MSU Initiative: Healthy Food Options @1280/Chip Wagon

Old 02-08-2010 at 06:10 PM   #16
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
not gonna lie, i totally had to urbandictionary '6char'
and it is not on there. what's all this slang you kids are using nowadays?
MacInsiders and most forums don't allow posts less then 6 "characters" Hence when you post only one word or smiley like Andrew did you have to write "6chars" to ensure you reach 6 characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
Basilique on campus, make it happen Matt Wright.
Well his email address is on the blacklist so....that might take an extra bit of time

p.s: I talked to someone who knows people at Basilique; They were informally interested/trying to expand to Mac. Though I can imagine hospitality raising up a stink if an outside company gets in and cleans house(I'm assuming house of games thing is more doable because they come under MSU entities? :S)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 02-08-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2010 at 06:22 PM   #17
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I'd like to emphasize the veggi options, such as mixed veg with dip or steamed veggies like at commons except not as a side. I know when I was in first year the lack of veggies was a real downer and I think its a niche not really being filled within a decent price range
Old 02-08-2010 at 06:33 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
The idea behind the Halal thing is that:

1) Chip Wagon is NOT doing well at all, it hasn't done well ever since it was introduced.

2) The Board Of Directors seem open to the idea of anyone taking over the space and giving them rent instead of them running a failing Chip Wagon service.

3) There has been an informal talk between the owner of the house of games and the VP Admin in regards to him opening up a halal food station(Basically stuff Basilique sells, Shawarma etc) where Chip Wagon is. However that offer counts for nothing unless he gets a formal written proposal in.

4) They will also be open too other parties with tenders for the Chip Wagon space

5) I would personally assume that Halal & Kosher food would be a slightly higher priority because of the presence of an award winning vegetarian outlet (Bridges) On Campus. Because Vegetarians and people who practice religious dietary limitations are similar in the sense that they simply cannot eat regular meat.

1280 according to my knowledge does a absolutely poor job of Halal/Kosher food; NO options at all for that

I'm not entirely sure but someone mentioned last night that the only vegetarian option is deep fried.

I also believe Mr Wright has more information about a proposal/request to get more Halal & Vegetarian food that was thrown out/not considered by the Executive Board. Which from what I heard looks disappointing.

p.s: Healthsci it is known as a "restolounge" during the day & it is run by the "Students" union so you have EVERY right to demand diverse options for food. When the renovations were being done and the MSU threw $400,000 on 1280. Some members of the BOD often say "Tell us what you want from 1280, it is OUR Service" etc etc
Actually... they CAN. They choose not to.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

samd, Taunton like this.
Old 02-09-2010 at 12:02 PM   #19
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

Keep suggesting. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010 at 12:11 PM   #20
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

omg a shawarma place would be amazing
Old 02-09-2010 at 12:28 PM   #21
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yam fries, Chili, chicken strips/fingers and all that good stuff. Oh, and lots of good soup...
Old 02-09-2010 at 04:30 PM   #22
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

Executive Board
On Thursday at 10:30AM, MSU Executive Board meets in the MUSC 201 Boardroom. After a brief chat today with Food and Beverage Manager, Ismael Viegas, he is confident in changing the Chip Wagon window into a service that sells both Halal food and vegetarian options. This is the first step into changing the TwelvEighty menu, and is a good chance for students to interact with an MSU service. The tentative timeline for this conversion is roughly one month (EB meeting, menu design, redtape, etc).

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post them here or email your MSU President, Vishal Tiwari.

I thank everyone for their suggestions, but more specific menu items would now be beneficial so that the best quality and variety of food is available!

finklej likes this.
Old 02-09-2010 at 04:53 PM   #23
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

I sent this in an email to Matt, but figured I'd post it here so people could comment and work off these ideas.
  • Bring back the fresh cut fries from last year. They were probably the best fries on campus. I stopped going to chip truck this year as soon as I realised that they were using shitty pre-made, frozen fries. This could also work for 1280 on the whole, because it needs unique stuff on the other places. Having very tasty, fresh cut fries will help a LOT.
  • Easy wraps/sandwiches. When I worked at Booster Juice we'd start our shift by making a bunch of quesadillas, bbq chicken paninis and pesto chicken paninis. Basically it took like 10 minutes to make 20 things of food, and we'd wrap them and refrigerate. When someone ordered it, we unwrap it and stick it into a sandwich toaster. It was really fast, simple, and tasted amazing. We always sold out of them too.
  • Get a juicer in there. If Chip Truck can be the only place on campus to have freshly squeezed juice, it will kick ass. It takes like 2 minutes to make a litre of juice, and tastes so much better, and is so much more nutritious than all the other crap on campus.
  • Get rid of the pizza and the hot dogs. They are oily fatty foods, and there are enough places on campus to get junk like that. Willy Dog is never going to lose to chip truck, and its so much easier to go to Pizza Pizza and get a slice or something.
Another huge reason why chip truck doesn't make money is because of the people who work there. Most of the time, the chip truck attendant is some angry-looking student who only perks up when her friends come... and then crowd around the window so that nobody else can get in there.

If the place stops trying to be a chip truck with greasy, fatty food, and goes for more nutritious stuff, it would do much better. Halal and Kosher options are okay, but if it's nutritious food with good vegetarian options, it'll do really well.

finklej, lorend, Maegs like this.
Old 02-09-2010 at 06:41 PM   #24
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I agree with Rohan10's suggestions, especially regarding the french fries. I love french fries, but after I made the mistake of spending $3 on frozen fries, I refuse to do this again. It's just not worth it.

Also, quesadillas and shawarma is amazing!
Old 02-09-2010 at 11:07 PM   #25
Werd

Liked: 16 Times

Falafel Wraps at 1280!

Wouldn't mind a tofu stir-fry either
Old 02-10-2010 at 11:24 AM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quesadilles I agree with! I think they are already at 1280, but there's no chicken in them? So I guess my suggestion is Chicken Quesadilles.
Old 02-10-2010 at 04:48 PM   #27
samd

Liked: 23 Times

If you can offer a chicken shwarma for under 5 bucks you'll clean up
Old 02-11-2010 at 11:02 AM   #28
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

as someone who is kosher - the main thing i am always looking for on campus is vegetarian options. As mentioned before, bridges is expensive and not particularly healthy, having cheaper and healthier vegetarian options is something i think that would attract a lot of students, especially the kosher ones!
Old 02-11-2010 at 11:18 AM   #29
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Souvlaki! If it is good souvlaki I will eat there every day.
Old 02-11-2010 at 06:27 PM   #30
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Souvlaki! If it is good souvlaki I will eat there every day.
This. and gyros