Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Registrar Beef. lorend Academics 33 06-07-2009 07:53 PM
Apple launches the iPhone Chad Computers & Tech 6 01-22-2007 09:52 AM
Groups Launches! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-10-2006 08:28 PM
MacInsiders Launches! admin MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-26-2006 01:24 AM

MSU Launches Project Bus Beef

MSU Launches Project Bus Beef

The MSU has recently launched a survey for students regarding the city transit system. It will serve as a way for students to voice their concerns and be heard by the Student Representative Assembly, McMaster University and the Hamilton Street Railway. This way the MSU will be able to track ongoing issues with transit that students feel will affect their commute and bring positive change.

This survey will be open to all undergraduate students with a U-Pass. To be eligible for a U-Pass you must be an undergraduate student taking at least 18 academic units a year. The sticker on your student card (red with a mauve-ish stripe this year), gives you unlimited access to the HSR from September until the end of April. The survey can be found here.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-29-2009 at 09:33 AM   #2
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
There is a small error in the link. The actual link is
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/studentGo...on/busbeef.htm

Alvand, jachill all say thanks to BlakeM for this post.

Old 08-29-2009 at 09:37 AM   #3
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times
"The sticker on your student card (red with a mauve-ish stripe this year), gives you unlimited access to the HSR from September until the end of April."

Wait, so we don't need to pay for public transit? I thought that our student card only gave us a discount....

Thanks for the post, btw!

Old 08-29-2009 at 10:14 AM   #4
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
"The sticker on your student card (red with a mauve-ish stripe this year), gives you unlimited access to the HSR from September until the end of April."

Wait, so we don't need to pay for public transit? I thought that our student card only gave us a discount....

No you do not need to pay for the HSR but you do need to pay for others like GO bus tickets for which you well get a student discount.

Shmowen says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.

Old 08-30-2009 at 02:13 AM   #5
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
No you do not need to pay for the HSR but you do need to pay for others like GO bus tickets for which you well get a student discount.
Wait don't let people know of this yet... I still have 5 HSR bus tickets left over from the summer that I need to sell to first year's next week.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

feonateresa likes this.

Old 08-30-2009 at 08:59 AM   #6
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times
haha I have 5 bus tickets left too. They were also expensive, $10! D:

Old 08-30-2009 at 01:28 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Lol, yes, but technically cheaper per-ride than paying the fare up front.

Old 08-30-2009 at 02:49 PM   #8
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
Should be $9.25 and yes Taunton Said, still cheaper than paying the bus fare up front. But not cheaper than a free bus rides...anywhere you want

Old 08-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post

Technically you are paying for it, it's included in your supplementary fees - it's only like 100 bucks or so for the 8 months. Compare that to UofT, York & Ryerson students who have to pay 109 every month for a metropass.

Sweet deal. :]

I'm really getting tired of having to scrap for change to get on the HSR bus these days. My nickles and dimes are disappearing at a fast rate. :/

Old 08-30-2009 at 09:03 PM   #10
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
I can hardly remember any beef I had with the previous year of HSR (though there is something that is for sure). Probably because I haven't had to go down that way over the summer, but if it comes up again this september, Ill be sure to give my own opinion around the matter.

For the most part, I'm glad that our ID card covers the transit. A ride back and forth is $4.80 i believe in straight out busfair (not including that discount on tickets I suppose), which would easily add up over 8 months of schooling!

Old 08-30-2009 at 11:11 PM   #11
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
I would also be interested in hearing your opinions on keeping buses on campus versus creating a bus-free campus (this would basically remove the majority of vehicles that come through the main part of campus).

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 08-30-2009 at 11:16 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I would also be interested in hearing your opinions on keeping buses on campus versus creating a bus-free campus (this would basically remove the majority of vehicles that come through the main part of campus).
I don't mind a bus passing through campus every 15 minutes. It's very convenient because then you don't have to walk all the way out of campus. The buses don't cause that much disturbance, not to me anyways.

Old 08-30-2009 at 11:23 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Honestly, the cutting of the 10 bus on campus was a mistake. People are constantly waiting because buses are full and no one can get on. If they were to cut all the buses out, it would just be terribly inconvenient. Like tomorrow, I'm going back to Hamilton, suitcase in tow, from McMaster's GO terminal. It would be a b*tch and a half to walk all the way to main street with it. I mean, of course it can be done, but it's just easier to hop on the bus.

Buses don't cause much disturbance, and if it's because people are getting hurt, I don't see why they've abandoned the 'look before you cross the road' rule.

Old 08-31-2009 at 09:38 AM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Honestly, the cutting of the 10 bus on campus was a mistake. People are constantly waiting because buses are full and no one can get on. If they were to cut all the buses out, it would just be terribly inconvenient. Like tomorrow, I'm going back to Hamilton, suitcase in tow, from McMaster's GO terminal. It would be a b*tch and a half to walk all the way to main street with it. I mean, of course it can be done, but it's just easier to hop on the bus.

Buses don't cause much disturbance, and if it's because people are getting hurt, I don't see why they've abandoned the 'look before you cross the road' rule.
I agree completely, and most of the people I've consulted on this issue agree as well. The university administration say they made the decision "for students" but it doesn't look like they consulted students at all... in fact it looks like they made the decision for some other agenda that I'm not aware of.

The MSU is doing everything it can to get the 10 back on campus, although it won't be back this year.

Old 08-31-2009 at 10:39 AM   #15
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times
It would be a real bummer if they got rid of buses completely on campus. I always end up running to the bus after my last class and it would be a real pain having to run any further than the middle bus stop.

And for heaven's sake we are university students, we know how to look both ways before crossing. It's bad enough they got rid of the 10, the largest bus of course.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search