MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling on TAs who want a voice tmtoulouse General Discussion 19 11-01-2009 06:03 PM
have your opinion on the environment heard lorend General Discussion 3 09-17-2009 07:05 PM
has anyone else heard of these sites? marauders89 General Discussion 9 03-04-2009 01:06 PM
Have Your Voice Heard Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-29-2007 07:04 AM

MSU - Let Your Voice Be Heard

Old 04-08-2008 at 11:34 PM   #1
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

MSU - Let Your Voice Be Heard
Hey Everyone!

My name is John McIntyre, one of the newly elected SRA Science representatives. Over the last little while, a lot of people have been expressing their concerns via MacInsiders, Facebook and in person that their voice isn't heard within the MSU and there is no way to influence change. That couldn't be farther from the truth, and I'm going to tell you why.

Now that the SRA has elected the Vice Presidents, it will be electing committee chairs and members for the 6 standing committees of the SRA: Bylaws & Procedures, External Affairs, Finance, Operations, Services and University Affairs. It is these committees that take on projects and do the necessary research to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the MSU and they then present their final reccomendations to the SRA. These committees are all comprised of 5 SRA members (including the chair) and 2 MSU members (any undergraduate student taking more than 18 units during the year - basically all full time students). THIS is one of the many opportunities for you to get involved within your students union and make your voice be heard. The following seats are looking to be filled at our next meeting:

Standing Committees of the SRA:
Bylaws and Procedures (2)
External Affairs (2)
Finance (2)
Operations (2)
Services (2)
University Affairs (2)

Information: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/cbp/2007_2008/Bylaws/Bylaw_3B_-_Standing_Committees_ of_the_SRA.pdf

Other Committees:
Clubs Executive Council (1)
Maroons Advisory (4)
Teaching Awards (7)
Elections (3)
Welcome Week Cup Award (1)
MAC Bread bin Advisory (1)

Information: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/cbp/policies.php

We will be selecting MSU members for these positions at our next meeting, on April 20th, 2008 beginning at 1:30pm in Council Chambers (Gilmour Hall room 111). The meeting will begin with likely a few business items, then the election of the MSU's Executive Board, then Chairs of Committees, then SRA members to those committees and finally MSU members to those committees. If there are more people interested than positions available for a committee then an election will be held during the meeting.

If you are interested in sitting on any of these committees, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] with any questions and I can point you in the right direction (check out the websites provided above for specific information on the function of each committee).

I hope you guys consider sitting on these committees because this is where change is influenced - this is where you can make a difference.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-09-2008 at 09:16 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Awesome John! Thanks sooo much for the post!!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-09-2008 at 11:03 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Great to see SRA info posted on MacInsiders John! I think we need to get the information from SRA meetings out to the students quicker, and doing so through online communities is the answer as students can comment and provide valuable input and feedback.
Old 04-09-2008 at 06:22 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

woot woot
I'd like to second/ditto the above!!

Definitely get involved if you're interested... you can also email me too, [email protected] m

Go Science SRA... clearly a great group!
Old 04-10-2008 at 04:50 PM   #5
McIntyre

Hey Everyone!

I know I said we would likely be selecting the MSU members for committees towards the end of the meeting, but a few of us are making a motion to do that at the beginning so that you all know when to show up. So please show up at the beginning of the meeting, and you will either get to go right near the beginning or we'll let you know approximately when to come back! Thanks for you're interest!

Cheers,
John
Old 04-10-2008 at 08:37 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

myself and 3 friends would like to be on maroons advisory board......
Old 04-11-2008 at 01:57 PM   #7
McIntyre

Hey!

If you are looking to sit on the maroons advisory board, or any of the committees/boards listed above please show up to the meeting on April 20th at 1:30pm in Council Chambers (Gilmour Hall Room 111). As there are 4 positions on the Maroons Advisory Board for MSU members, if there are 4 or less people nominated, they are acclaimed and get the position automatically. However, if there are more than 4 people nominated, then those interested will go through an election in front of the SRA. You will be given a chance to speak to why you want to sit on the committee/board and what experiences that you have that would be beneficial. As well, it would help to have knowledge on what the committee/board you are interested in does (check out bylaws/operations links posted above) as there may be a couple of questions on its purpose.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to post!

Cheers,
John
Old 04-13-2008 at 08:46 PM   #8
McIntyre

One week until the elections. Remember, do not hesistate to contact me at [email protected] or talk to any of the newly elected SRA representatives (names found at www.msu.mcmaster.ca/election).
Old 04-16-2008 at 07:26 PM   #9
4zim
MSU President 08-09

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
myself and 3 friends would like to be on maroons advisory board......
hahaha

Great post John! Keep spreading the word
Old 04-19-2008 at 11:09 PM   #10
McIntyre

MAKE SURE YOU GUYS COME OUT TODAY!!! The meeting starts at 1:30, Gilmour Hall 111 (Council Chambers).
Old 04-19-2008 at 11:15 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

today = sunday April 20th I assume?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-21-2008 at 12:09 AM   #12
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Open seats
Hey all,
There are some committees with some seats open for general MSU members and those are:
Operations (1)
University Affairs (1)
Maroons Advisory (2)
Teaching Awards (6)
Elections (3)
Welcome Week Cup Award (1)
MAC Bread Bin Advisory (1)

=)
Old 04-21-2008 at 01:01 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

How would one go about applying for and/or getting into one of those open positions Temara?
Old 04-21-2008 at 08:14 AM   #14
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

It's the same process as before for these seats but this time the meeting is happening Aptil 27th at 4PM in Council Chambers.
Read through the descriptions of the committees found on the two links posted originally,and if you do want to attend any of these meetings there are two things you can do. Either come to the SRA meeting on April 27th and be nominated or submit a written acceptance to any SRA member which says basically "I, _______, accept the nomination to the _______ committee." (also includes a signature) =)
The agenda for the meeting will be posted here soon: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/sra/docum..._documents.php
Old 06-10-2008 at 04:39 PM   #15
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Maybe LAST CHANCE
to get on an MSU committee...

These committees are open to ANY undergrad student, even if you're entering 1st year. So, if you're interested in getting involved, reply to this and I'll give you all the info =)

The committees that still have seats are:
  • University Affairs Committee (1)
  • Teaching Awards Committee (5)
  • Maroons Advisory Committee (2)
  • Elections Committee (3)
The number of seats available is listed in brackets beside each one.