MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling on TAs who want a voice tmtoulouse General Discussion 19 11-01-2009 06:03 PM
have your opinion on the environment heard lorend General Discussion 3 09-17-2009 07:05 PM
has anyone else heard of these sites? marauders89 General Discussion 9 03-04-2009 01:06 PM
Have Your Voice Heard Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-29-2007 07:04 AM

MSU - Let Your Voice Be Heard

Old 06-10-2008 at 05:41 PM   #16
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I'd be interested in one of these positions temara.brown. I'm entering first year if that's okay. What information do you have about them? I could not really find anything on what the position would encompass.
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:04 PM   #17
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Liked: 1 Time

Hello Dragonfly! My name is Andrew and like Temara I'm a member of the SRA (for Humanities) and an Executive Board Member.

Most of the positions Temara outlined have since been filled, however there are some spots that are open for General MSU members.

University Affairs (1 Seat)
Maroons Advisory (1 Seat)
Teaching Awards (5 Seats)
Elections (3 Seats)

The University Affairs Committee deals with policies and projects relating to things such as textbook price policies for our lobbying efforts, and projects like an online tutor registry for students in need.Since I'm not the UA Commissioner this year I can't speak with any certainty about any projects coming up next year, but university affairs is one of the more fun standing committees to sit on.

The Maroons Advisory Committee advises and consults with the Maroon's Spirit Leader (who heads up the spirit squad) Honestly, it meets irregularly as far as I know because it's only used when the manager needs it.

The Teaching Awards Committee assists the Teaching Awards Coordinator to select the professors most worth of recieving awards at the end of the academic year.

The Elections Committee is the body of the MSU that votes on election rules for First Year Council (FYC) Elections, SRA General and By- Elections and of course MSU Presidential Elections, along with any other referenda that come up. It's headed by the CRO (Chief Returning Officer) and the DRO (Deputy Returning Officer). This body is also in charge of upholding election bylaws, rules and policy during the elections, assisting poll clerks during elections and assessing fines and penalities after any elections for broken rules.

I would highly recommend participation on the elections committee or the university affairs committee. Not that the other two aren't important, but if you want to get really involved right from the start these two would be it. We definately welcome first years to it on these committees and even in September when we run by-elections for some empty SRA seats (if there are any) I would recommend you run if there's an opening in your faculty.

We also have the First Year Council which deals with issues first years might have, and it's chaired by two co-chairs. Those elections take place in September.

If you're interested in any of these committees, we have an SRA meeting this coming saturday to fill as many spots as we can, so send me your written acceptance of nomination to any of the above committees you want to sit on (We need written acceptance to confirm that you do indeed want a seat and that I'm not just making it up or something) to [email protected] by Friday at 3pm.

That goes for anyone on here too, if you want a position email an acceptance of nomination and we'll inform you if you get the spot or not.

- Andrew
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:05 PM   #18
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey temara, i'm interested to, but i would like to get more information about it, time commitment and what the responsibilites are. please let me know! send me an email or private message. :p thanks.
Old 06-10-2008 at 09:43 PM   #19
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hey Eva!!

I'm so excited that you're interested!

Andrew had given a basic outline of what each one has done (thanks for that! I was at work and could only write so much..)

I haven't sat on any of the committees that are left yet so I can't tell you exactly what to expect. But, the University affairs committee does meet at least once every other week and will be starting right away in September. The Elections committee will also be starting right away in September so if you're looking to get involved and adjust your schedules with them as soon as posible, then these are the two that might interest you.

Teaching Awards does get started later in the year but I'm sure it's a lot of fun!! (I'll be sitting on this one this year!) It's a great opportunity to recognize all of your favourite profs. The awards ceremony is in March so the majority of the work will start to build up in second semester. But, it still is a really great committee so I would recommend this one as much as the others

Maroons advisory might not meet very often throughout the year but still might be a fun thing to do if you love the maroons!!

I've linked to all of the bylaws/operating procedures for the committees that have them. These cover everything that the committee is meant to do so definitely check them out if you're interested.
University Affairs (Section 12)
Elections Committee
Teaching Awards
Maroons Advisory (no operating procedure)

If you are interested in a committee, all you need to do is write an acceptance letter. Basically, an SRA member will nominate you and we need to have something written or have something to prove that you are interested in sitting on a committee - hence the written acceptance. So, just as I posted above with the fill-in-the blanks, fill that out for your committee that you're interested in and then email either Andrew, or myself at [email protected] m or any other SRA member! We will then nominate you at the upcoming SRA meeting this Saturday, June13, at 3:30PM in BSB 103. If there are more individuals interested than there are seats, it goes into an election. So, you might want to attend if you want to guarentee your seat. Or, if you cannot attend, you should write a short speech as to why you would like it and send it into your SRA member who is nominating you.

If you have any more questions, reply and I'll let you know asap =)
Old 06-10-2008 at 10:22 PM   #20
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

thanks so much for all the info. i am definately interested !
Old 06-10-2008 at 10:50 PM   #21
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Send me an email to the one you're interested in saying: ""I, _______, accept the nomination to the _______ committee."
Also, if you want to help guarentee your spot, you can choose to either come to the meeting if it comes to an election or write and send me a speech as to why you want to sit on the committee, your experience, etc. =)

my email: [email protected] m
Old 06-16-2008 at 04:55 PM   #22
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

teaching awards and elections are still open =)

and if anyone wants to sit on any of the committees listed anywhere in this thread, you can still go. The seats are for the voting members of the committee but I'm sure that the committees would love to have more MSU members attend!
Old 06-16-2008 at 05:37 PM   #23
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Liked: 1 Time

ditto to Temara and congrats to everyone who got a seat!
Old 06-19-2008 at 11:13 AM   #24
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Almost all filled! Post here if you are still interested and we can let you know when they will be filled next!
Old 06-19-2008 at 04:20 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Is there any way to do it only second term?

I can't afford the time commitment in first but am interested.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2008 at 04:30 PM   #26
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

teaching awards is mainly in second semester.. you're preparing for a ceremony that is to take place in March so there isn't that much on the plate for the committee in first sem.
Old 06-19-2008 at 04:32 PM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I'm working 16+ hours a week plus classes and MacInsiders...

So how much is not that much?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2008 at 04:39 PM   #28
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I really couldn't tell you for sure because I haven't done it yet (I'm going to be this year ) But I really don't think it'll be much in the first semester.. I'll try and figure it out though
Old 06-19-2008 at 06:33 PM   #29
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Ya, if it's only planning out and running the ceremony, plus a few promotional things here and there.. then I'd also be interested.
Old 06-19-2008 at 07:38 PM   #30
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

yay!!! send me a quick email and I'll nominate you =) [email protected] m