MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: How much class do you skip per week?
0 hours 45 35.16%
1-2 hours 46 35.94%
3-5 hours 23 17.97%
6+ hours 14 10.94%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
textbooks and first week of class muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-04-2009 04:17 PM
Skip a Meal 158701 MacInsiders Announcements 9 03-24-2009 10:15 AM
Thursday classes, can i skip it? kenvin100 Academics 17 09-04-2008 03:17 PM

How much class do you skip per week?

Old 01-27-2010 at 10:39 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I can't really skip any of my classes.

Four of them there are participation components, but even if that fact is disregarded, there are notes on ELM to help me out...and just because you read the material doesn't mean you "get" it (especially in English...arg).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-27-2010 at 11:21 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I hate to skip things I paid for. Its a waste for me to pay all this money to attend University and then skip classes.
Actually, you can attend lectures for free. Your tuition is paying for tutorials, labs, tests, and exams.

This method of thought could be good or bad. Ideally, it'll make you put a little more effort into your tests and exams due to them being "worth" more money (a 3-unit course is ~$600, so if you have no labs or tutorials the two tests cost $150 and the 50% exam is $300).

But then you'll be more inclined to skip your lectures with the knowledge that they're free, and that's not something I could recommend.

I think it'd be really cool for someone with access to the master timetable to learn four years worth of material by attending lectures for free, and then actually register as a student and throw 12s all over the place.

I considered doing that (to a lesser extent, only for my first year of Eng)but decided against it since I probably wouldn't commit to it and end up slacking off.

kangs6 likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:25 PM   #18
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Especially if it's 8:30!
I've taken my laziness to a new level...now I even skip classes if they at 9:30

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:26 PM   #19
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Actually, you can attend lectures for free. Your tuition is paying for tutorials, labs, tests, and exams.

This method of thought could be good or bad. Ideally, it'll make you put a little more effort into your tests and exams due to them being "worth" more money (a 3-unit course is ~$600, so if you have no labs or tutorials the two tests cost $150 and the 50% exam is $300).

But then you'll be more inclined to skip your lectures with the knowledge that they're free, and that's not something I could recommend.

I think it'd be really cool for someone with access to the master timetable to learn four years worth of material by attending lectures for free, and then actually register as a student and throw 12s all over the place.

I considered doing that (to a lesser extent, only for my first year of Eng)but decided against it since I probably wouldn't commit to it and end up slacking off.
ive always thought htat.. lol.. someone off the street can jus walk into any lecture unnoticed and "learn" for free

today was the first time this term i skipped lecture on purpose.. it was an 830 and i was jus too tired to get myself there and focus.. but i skip one of my tutorials per week.. but i think i might start goin to it
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:27 PM   #20
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

I try my best to go to all of my classes. I will once in awhile skip a class if I'm just too exhausted. I think I missed 2 hours so far this term and about 6 last term.
I wish all my course content were uploaded onto the internet. Some of my courses don't use elm or anything at all :(
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:57 PM   #21
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Tee hee... I skip some of my 12:30 french classes because it's one of the earlier ones =p. I plan to regularly attend all my classes this term though.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:26 AM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

I don't really subscribe to that way of thinking, but I see what you're saying.

For my program I doubt I'd be able to attend the lectures for free, and also there would be no point in doing so. Its a small program (Profs know pretty much all students, students all know each other).

That reasoning doesn't make me more inclined to skip though. I'm paying to be here.
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:42 AM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, sure we're paying for it, but if you can get 12's in the course without going and spending less time then why go? You're paying to waste your time.

Last semester I only skipped two classes a week (5 hours). This semester I don't really skip much, a tutorial and maybe a lecture per week.
You could get 12s without actually properly understanding the material.
If you've invested the time and money into learning, I don't see the point in skipping classes "because you can get a 12 easily".

Anyway, I try not to miss class. That being said, I'm not in chemistry right now...

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-28-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:31 AM   #24
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Last term I skipped about 12 hours...

This term I'm skipping just one class (so 3 hours), barring days where I can't seem to wake up in time for an 8:30 class (which I have 4 days a week...).

Although I'm slowly sinking into the habit of skipping another 2 hours/week due to skipping the last two lectures (due to feeling sick and oversleeping), and a couple of upper years telling me that it's pretty much better to learn through the textbook in that course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You could get 12s without actually properly understanding the material.
If you've invested the time and money into learning, I don't see the point in skipping classes "because you can get a 12 easily".
I'd like to throw out the "everyone learns differently" line out if it didn't feel like such a cop-out...

Profs usually don't care whether or not you show up, some profs even tell you the first day you don't need to show up, and there are a lot of classes where you can learn the material yourself or they just basically read off their own powerpoints anyways. (Clearly you've never taken Econ 1B03 with Holmes...)

It's been mentioned before, you're more paying for evaluations and the opportunity to earn credits than you are paying for the lectures. Y can basically sneak into most lectures and learn for free...

Last year I had this course where the prof posted all his notes online, the textbook wasn't hard to understand, and the online component even had practice quizzes that tell you how to do problems step by step.

That course took up an 8:30 timeslot 3 days a week, and I basically had a 5-8 hour break afterwords. To hell with that shit. I reallocated those 3 hours and just learned the material at some other 3 hours of the week at times where I'm most likely not sleep deprived.

Last edited by JEFF_CHAN : 01-28-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2010 at 10:55 AM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
I think I can beat you on that one. I often skip my last class of the day so I can go home early and nap before supper.

But I only skip class when there are full notes on ELM. So that's usually 2 or 3 hours per week.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:45 AM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I wish my math lecture wasn't so damn late.. and combined with the fact that its boring as hell and doesn't actually help me understand the material.... then i might go some time...

Its so much easier to walk to the bus stop then wait around for 2hrs while i wait for the lecture..zzzz
Old 01-28-2010 at 12:17 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I almost never skip class. I've missed about 1 class this term.

I'm late sometimes though, especially at the beginning of the term when everyone decides they want to go to school again and take forever to board the bus.
Old 01-28-2010 at 12:31 PM   #28
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Not a lot. I missed my first this term this morning- 8:30 boring class where he reads off the slides, and I'm sick.

Last term I think I missed four classes total, and thee of those were on the last day of tutorial where I hadn't taken my freebie.
Old 01-28-2010 at 12:43 PM   #29
Mowicz
Elite Member

When I did my undergrad, I frequently skipped classes...personally, I found that lectures tended to stunt my creativity. ie. If I figured out a math theorem on my own time, by myself (with help from a textbook), I was far more likely to remember it and learn the 'style' than if I was simply regurgitating a proof that I saw the professor do on the blackboard.

tl;dr: It depends on what kind of learner you are...but I found that for many classes (math in particular) I did better when I learned it on my own.

Now that I'm in grad school I never skip a class deliberately...this is for 2 reasons. One, the material is much more difficult and good textbooks are scarce (ie. there's about a thousand texts on first year calculus, one of which is bound to be good, and maybe 4 on "elliptic curves over the rationals" which are likely written by eccentric mathematicians). The other reason is, grad school involves a lot of politics. I want my profs to see me paying attention in lectures so they're more inclined to accept me as a research student.
Old 01-28-2010 at 12:55 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
When I did my undergrad, I frequently skipped classes...personally, I found that lectures tended to stunt my creativity. ie. If I figured out a math theorem on my own time, by myself (with help from a textbook), I was far more likely to remember it and learn the 'style' than if I was simply regurgitating a proof that I saw the professor do on the blackboard.

tl;dr: It depends on what kind of learner you are...but I found that for many classes (math in particular) I did better when I learned it on my own.

Now that I'm in grad school I never skip a class deliberately...this is for 2 reasons. One, the material is much more difficult and good textbooks are scarce (ie. there's about a thousand texts on first year calculus, one of which is bound to be good, and maybe 4 on "elliptic curves over the rationals" which are likely written by eccentric mathematicians). The other reason is, grad school involves a lot of politics. I want my profs to see me paying attention in lectures so they're more inclined to accept me as a research student.
I'm the same with my fourth year seminars. I use my profs as references so it'll look bad if I skip all the time. Plus, the material is actually useful and interesting.