MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: How much class do you skip per week?
0 hours 45 35.16%
1-2 hours 46 35.94%
3-5 hours 23 17.97%
6+ hours 14 10.94%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
textbooks and first week of class muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-04-2009 04:17 PM
Skip a Meal 158701 MacInsiders Announcements 9 03-24-2009 10:15 AM
Thursday classes, can i skip it? kenvin100 Academics 17 09-04-2008 03:17 PM

How much class do you skip per week?

Old 01-28-2010 at 01:44 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

It's the same in my seven-person class too!

I've also had the prof four times before, so if I'm not there he kinda notices...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-28-2010 at 01:54 PM   #32
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

I have one class I still haven't been to yet.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:18 PM   #33
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

0 hours. Most of my classes use a small group approach and/or have participation marks. The only time I miss class is when I am really sick (and contagious) and don't want to get other people sick too.

RyanC says thanks to Sideout for this post.

pinkpiggydoe likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:53 PM   #34
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You could get 12s without actually properly understanding the material.
If you've invested the time and money into learning, I don't see the point in skipping classes "because you can get a 12 easily".

Anyway, I try not to miss class. That being said, I'm not in chemistry right now...
Really? If I could get mid nineties in multiple courses without going for weeks at a time AND without understanding the material, then maybe they shouldn't offer such simple courses in University anyway.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:55 PM   #35
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Really? If I could get mid nineties in multiple courses without going for weeks at a time AND without understanding the material, then maybe they shouldn't offer such simple courses in University anyway.
Totally true. I took "Canadian Children" last term. I didn't give two shits about that course, so I didn't go. I read some notes that someone had taken the year before for about an hour each before the midterm and final, and ended with a 10 in the course. I didn't actually understand why the course existed, or what the message was, but it was a joke to get a relatively decent grade.

This term, I'm taking "Canadian Adolescents" because I figure it will be identical. I like having a course like this so I can focus on my real courses. Stupid DeGroote forcing me to take "non-commerce electives".
Old 01-28-2010 at 08:30 PM   #36
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Totally true. I took "Canadian Children" last term. I didn't give two shits about that course, so I didn't go. I read some notes that someone had taken the year before for about an hour each before the midterm and final, and ended with a 10 in the course. I didn't actually understand why the course existed, or what the message was, but it was a joke to get a relatively decent grade.

This term, I'm taking "Canadian Adolescents" because I figure it will be identical. I like having a course like this so I can focus on my real courses. Stupid DeGroote forcing me to take "non-commerce electives".

If you like those, you will love Women and Work and Women and Family. All four are related In case you need more electives.

And I only skip when I feel sick. But if I don't feel sick in a long time, then I just pick a day when I don't have too many classes and treat my self by sleeping in.

sniderj says thanks to jo87 for this post.
Old 01-28-2010 at 08:38 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post

Why don't you complete a minor? ^^

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-28-2010 at 08:46 PM   #38
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

...skip...class....? My keener self does not understand this concept.

Honestly though I haven't missed a day since grade 3. It's actually quiet tragic..there was this field trip I had been super super excited for like the whole year...and then, the day of the field trip I woke up and I puked. My mother forced me to stay home..I spent the day crying and puking. The next day everyone was talking about how awesome the field trip was :(.

I vowed to never miss a day again.

Old 01-28-2010 at 08:48 PM   #39
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
...skip...class....? My keener self does not understand this concept.

Honestly though I haven't missed a day since grade 3. It's actually quiet tragic..there was this field trip I had been super super excited for like the whole year...and then, the day of the field trip I woke up and I puked. My mother forced me to stay home..I spent the day crying and puking. The next day everyone was talking about how awesome the field trip was :(.

I vowed to never miss a day again.
Aww. That sucks. lol
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:09 PM   #40
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Why don't you complete a minor? ^^
Because I hate economics, and most other minors require way too many extra courses.
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:31 PM   #41
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
0 hours. Most of my classes use a small group approach and/or have participation marks. The only time I miss class is when I am really sick (and contagious) and don't want to get other people sick too.
see everyone should think like this.. if you're sick and it's contagious.. stop being selfish and do everyone else a favour esp in this season.. i had this class once where this girl that sat next to me was sick.. she turned and coughed AT ME in order to avoid coughing at her friend on her other side. ON TOP OF THAT, she did EVERYTHING you can do in class (cept sleep) in lecture while not listening.. she flirted, she texted, she played tetris on her phone, she played tic tac toe, she doodled, she yawned, sighed and most of all, she wasted a piece of paper, having only written the date and the course name and code at the top..(yes, i noticed all this while paying attention XD) see on top of this, she was distracting me with her giggling at the guy's dumb jokes
now.. if you're not going to pay attention and you're sick, STAY HOME so other people don't get sick

sorry that was my rant about sick people going to class..
mb i wouldnt have been as mad if she actually paid attention to the prof and mb she really needed to attend lecture to understand the material...
Old 01-28-2010 at 09:34 PM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

.. People aren't allowed to yawn?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-29-2010 at 01:40 AM   #43
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

First sem 0-1, second sem 3-5!
Old 01-29-2010 at 07:22 AM   #44
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Perhaps they shouldn't (that's besides the point anyway), but such courses are obviously offered, so my point still stands...

While they may be "simple", by understanding the material you could probably get a lot more out of them. I'm thinking that was my mistake with linguistics - getting a 12 was so easy that I just didn't attend lecture or read the notes / text, so while I came out with a 12, I don't feel I've learned anything at all

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-29-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2010 at 02:16 PM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm surprised how much variety in responses there is. I expected everyone to be in the 3-5 hour section. I can't believe there are people who don't skip any classes! That's admirable, seriously. And I'm very jealous of people who can skip most/all of their classes! Also kind of admirable, haha.